The 80's were awesome

zelticgar

9 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

I still watch that movie every time it's on!

Me too, I can't resist it! It was also the first Rocky movie and Stallone movie for that matter I saw in theaters.

My first Arnie movie wasn't near awesome an experience: Red Heat, not one of Arnie's bad movies but not that great either.

The 80's also had that Freaky Friday fad in movies for a while, where father and son switch bodies instead of mother and daughter.

The best was Vice Versa - Fred Savage and Judge Reinhold

The worst was Like Father, Like Son - Dudley Moore and Kirk Cameron, really?!! So when Dudley goes into Kirk's body he also loses his accent? This movie was bad, not even good because 80's cheese, just bad.

In between there was 18 Again with George Burns and Charlie Schlatter, this was a grandfather and grandson one though and when Charlie was in George's body he was in a coma the whole time. Still though. Schlatter had the best performance of all these, he really made me believe George Burns could have been in him.

Big was kind of one of these movies. There was just no switheroo, he was just a boy then her was in a man's body.

6 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

Me too, I can't resist it! It was also the first Rocky movie and Stallone movie for that matter I saw in theaters.

My first Arnie movie wasn't near awesome an experience: Red Heat, not one of Arnie's bad movies but not that great either.

The 80's also had that Freaky Friday fad in movies for a while, where father and son switch bodies instead of mother and daughter.

The best was Vice Versa - Fred Savage and Judge Reinhold

The worst was Like Father, Like Son - Dudley Moore and Kirk Cameron, really?!! So when Dudley goes into Kirk's body he also loses his accent? This movie was bad, not even good because 80's cheese, just bad.

In between there was 18 Again with George Burns and Charlie Schlatter, this was a grandfather and grandson one though and when Charlie was in George's body he was in a coma the whole time. Still though. Schlatter had the best performance of all these, he really made me believe George Burns could have been in him.

Big was kind of one of these movies. There was just no switheroo, he was just a boy then her was in a man's body.

I vaguely remember Vice Versa and everyone has seen Big. I don't remember the others. 

I don't remember what my first Arnie movie was, to be honest. I DO remember my first Stallone movie and it wasn't Rocky. It was called Death Race 2000. I remember that because my parents packed us all up and took us to the drive in. The first movie up was Jaws (which traumatized me for life) and then Death Race was the late film. I had just turned 6. 

To me "Can't Buy Me Love" is the quintessential 80's movie. Anytime a nerd becomes the cool kid in high school I'm all in! I watched it with my older daughter a few weeks ago and had a great time explaining all the references. Karate Kid, 16 Candles, Revenge of the Nerds... Something about that theme just speaks to me and the 80's never disappoints when it comes to those movies. 

50 minutes ago, zelticgar said:

To me "Can't Buy Me Love" is the quintessential 80's movie. Anytime a nerd becomes the cool kid in high school I'm all in! I watched it with my older daughter a few weeks ago and had a great time explaining all the references. Karate Kid, 16 Candles, Revenge of the Nerds... Something about that theme just speaks to me and the 80's never disappoints when it comes to those movies. 

I think "The Karate Kid" is really charming, but now it seems kinda racist, too, with that "ancient Eastern healing" thing. 

5 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

Movies that I don't think have been mentioned yet, but deserve to be:

The Last Starfighter

Trading Places

Beverly Hills Cop

Coming To America

Big Trouble In Little China

The Thing

Aliens

Dirty Dancing

Roadhouse

This Is Spinal Tap

Caddyshack

Tootsie

Back To School

Stripes

The Secret of Nimh

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Eddie and the Cruisers

Rad

Splash

Fast Times At Ridgemont High

Conan The Barbarian

Red Sonja

The Lost Boys

The Dark Crystal

Labyrinth

Willow

Let It Ride

The Princess Bride

When Harry Met Sally

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Uncle Buck

Pee Wee's Big Adventure

Crocodile Dundee

Spaceballs

The Neverending Story

Wargames

The Beastmaster

Transformers: The Movie

Also, Masters of the Universe the movie. I still maintain that as a stand alone movie not connected to a cartoon and toyline it wouldn't have been that bad. As it was, I can still enjoy it in all it's 80's campy cheesy goodness. Also, at least it was the one toyline-cartoon we got a live-action movie of in the 80's (Turtles didn't come out until 1990). Considering what we got storywise with the Transformers and G.I. Joe movies in the 21st century, I'd say getting He-Man in the 80's was a bit of a bargain.

Also, also, the Fred Savage movie The Wizard. Many people complain about it being a movie-length commercial for Nintendo, and it was, but I liked it. I still like it. I like the story, however stupid it is, I liked all the actors in it Savage, Beau Bridges, Christian Slater, and Jennifer Lewis, and even if it was a piece of junk, Lucas and the power glove scene ruled!

The Breakfast Club

Sixteen Candles

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Better of Dead

Say Anything

'80s teen movies were great.  

On 12/7/2016 at 3:16 PM, zelticgar said:

Trying to explain to the kids how cool it was growing up in the 80's. They don't understand. I try to explain world premier videos, roller skating, Joanie and Chachi, ET, The Goonies, Driving in my dads Pinto with no seat belt on, being a newspaper delivery boy, Devil worshipping rock bands,  Choose your own adventure... So many awesome times. This is the thread to talk about how awesome the 80's were. Lets hear it! 

...and don't forget the Devil-worshipping Dungeons and Dragons players!:P  I was 11-20 years old in the 80s.  Everything written in this thread greatly resonates with me and I was another of those rural small town kids where the entire town was my playground.  I also had the kind of home life and relationship with my parents where I'd be gone for days at friends' houses or whatever and they never worried about me.  They always knew where to find me if they needed to.  

But, man, did we play the hell outta some D&D in the mid- to late-80s!  We had discovered the Basic set back in the late 70s but we didn't really "figure it out" until we discovered Experts/AD&D.  Then, we really, really got rollin' with AD&D 2nd Edition!  I fondly remember, back in the beginning, just trying to scrape together enough money between us to buy the new rule books, etc.  Also, we had to wait until we could get to a larger town or city with *gasp* a mall where we could buy them (there's that "waiting" theme again - we still had to actually wait for things back in the 80s;)).   

1 hour ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Totally mentioned Rad already:

I developed an unhealthy love for this movie from the first time I saw it. Every Friday my parents would take us to the local video rental store, called Moviestars, and would let me and my brother pick out two movies and video game, each, for the weekend. Rad was always one of my picks.

I agree 100% about The Wizard.

Yes, I remember when Rad came out, I didn't see it in the theater, then when it came out on home video a friend told me I had to see it. I wasn't into BMX so I thought I wouldn't enjoy it. I was so very wrong. I loved it. It became a top pick of mine at the video store as well after that.

25 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

...and don't forget the Devil-worshipping Dungeons and Dragons players!:P  I was 11-20 years old in the 80s.  Everything written in this thread greatly resonates with me and I was another of those rural small town kids where the entire town was my playground.  I also had the kind of home life and relationship with my parents where I'd be gone for days at friends' houses or whatever and they never worried about me.  They always knew where to find me if they needed to.  

I remember whenever the "news" would do a story on the evil of D&D and my mother and grandmother would tsk and say how glad they were I wasn't into that and I better not ever be. They weren't really religious or superstitious either, they just believed what the media said about it.

I probably would be if any of my friends were into it, but none were. I remember when the 2000 movie came out, still my mom was like "They shouldn't do that, they're going to get all those kids into devil worshipping again!"

As it was, we played a whole bunch of board and card games all the time, just the main stream ones. I loved Monopoly, Risk, Stratego, Payday, Life, Yahtzee, Mad, Chinese Checkers, Rummy, Blackjack, and Poker.

1 hour ago, TrackerNeil said:

I think "The Karate Kid" is really charming, but now it seems kinda racist, too, with that "ancient Eastern healing" thing. 

LOL

50 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

I remember whenever the "news" would do a story on the evil of D&D and my mother and grandmother would tsk and say how glad they were I wasn't into that and I better not ever be. They weren't really religious or superstitious either, they just believed what the media said about it.

I probably would be if any of my friends were into it, but none were. I remember when the 2000 movie came out, still my mom was like "They shouldn't do that, they're going to get all those kids into devil worshipping again!"

As it was, we played a whole bunch of board and card games all the time, just the main stream ones. I loved Monopoly, Risk, Stratego, Payday, Life, Yahtzee, Mad, Chinese Checkers, Rummy, Blackjack, and Poker.

Yeah, when the 700 Club went hog-wild on how D&D is nothing but evil devil worshipping it began being mentioned in some local church sermons, etc. where I grew up.  My friends and I just sat down our concerned parents, showed them the game and what we were actually doing, and they quickly realized everything was fine.  We very happily continued to sink countless hours into it.  Actually, I think our parents pretty quickly realized it was far better than what we could be doing (i.e. they actually knew where we were, etc.)  Although, make no mistake, we also got up to way too much that they were better off not knowing about anyway;)

We also played a lot of board games, too.  Things like Risk, Axis & Allies, Fortress America, Monopoly, Stratego, etc.  Hell, we also liked to play the Dungeon! boardgame as well as some card games like Whist, poker, and cribbage.  We'd often have a three generation game of Whist going during the holidays.  My best friend's mom and grandma loved to play Whist!:D    

4 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

Yeah, when the 700 Club went hog-wild on how D&D is nothing but evil devil worshipping it began being mentioned in some local church sermons, etc. where I grew up.  My friends and I just sat down our concerned parents, showed them the game and what we were actually doing, and they quickly realized everything was fine.  We very happily continued to sink countless hours into it.  Actually, I think our parents pretty quickly realized it was far better than what we could be doing (i.e. they actually knew where we were, etc.)  Although, make no mistake, we also got up to way too much that they were better off not knowing about anyway;)

We also played a lot of board games, too.  Things like Risk, Axis & Allies, Fortress America, Monopoly, Stratego, etc.  Hell, we also liked to play the Dungeon! boardgame as well as some card games like Whist, poker, and cribbage.  We'd often have a three generation game of Whist going during the holidays.  My best friend's mom and grandma loved to play Whist!:D    

Trivial Pursuit. We used to accuse my dad of studying the cards because no one is that smart :D 

Has anyone mentioned how MTV changed the way we consumed music? Try explaining to the kids that once upon a time, the only thing that was on MTV was music, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 

3 hours ago, zelticgar said:

I saw a cast reunion of Cant Buy Me Love recently and found some interesting trivia.

Ricky, one of the football jocks was none other than one hit wonder musician Gérardo who scored a hit with the song Rico, Suave. 

Ronalds little brother was played by a young Seth Green.

In sadder news, Amanda Peterson who played the lead role of Cindy Mancini died last year.

My 80s movie(s) were Revenge of the Nerds. I wrote a paper in high school if how the movie was a warning to the tough guy about how nerds would soon be taking over the world.

In the 80's any type of computer savy guy conjured up images of an unfuckable dweeb. Fast forward to now, a Google employee will be the most popular guy in the room.

Remember the gay black nerd? Theres also much social commentary attached to his character as well.

Just now, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

Trivial Pursuit. We used to accuse my dad of studying the cards because no one is that smart :D 

Has anyone mentioned how MTV changed the way we consumed music? Try explaining to the kids that once upon a time, the only thing that was on MTV was music, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 

Oh yeah, Trivial Pursuit!  And I think MTV was mentioned upthread.  Every once in awhile I try to point out to my kids the irony that is now MTV (i.e. it's called "Music Television" but it basically doesn't have any music anymore) but, alas, they are too young:( 

1 minute ago, DunderMifflin said:

My 80s movie(s) were Revenge of the Nerds. I wrote a paper in high school if how the movie was a warning to the tough guy about how nerds would soon be taking over the world.

In the 80's any type of computer savy guy conjured up images of an unfuckable dweeb. Fast forward to now, a Google employee will be the most popular guy in the room.

Remember the gay black nerd? Theres also much social commentary attached to his character as well.

Yep.  I do delight in pointing out to people how "nerds", "geeks", "dweebs", etc. (all labels I have always despised and vehemently rejected, by the way) rule our entire world;)

Just now, Prince of the North said:

Oh yeah, Trivial Pursuit!  And I think MTV was mentioned upthread.  Every once in awhile I try to point out to my kids the irony that is now MTV (i.e. it's called "Music Television" but it basically doesn't have any music anymore) but, alas, they are too young:( 

Yep.  I do delight in pointing out to people how "nerds", "geeks", "dweebs", etc. (all labels I have always despised and vehemently rejected, by the way) rule our entire world;)

Mine didn't even know it was called Music Television. I had to explain even that.

As for the nerds, as Bill Gates once said, "Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one." 

14 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

I think if this video had been made in the 80's and shown like on SNL or something it would have made many see how ridiculous the fear of it was. Although it would have probably cemented a few in their beliefs that it was the most evil thing ever.

For those who didn't get cable until the mid to late 80's they had to rely on Friday Night Videos.

Also, the Asian American community hated and were offended by Karate Kids Mr Myagi even back then. 

But in small defense, Karate Kid was the first place I learned that USA forcing Japanese Americans into camps during the war was a real thing. 

And the music seemed a bit more special. I don't think people realize how difficult it was to get music, especially if you were in a rural area.

I roll my eyes when I see someone say "I wish I was alive in the 80's when everybody liked real music like Metallica"

Metallica was almost like a music illumaniti in the 80s. Radio did not play them in the 80s, they did not even make a music video in the 80s, so they were not on MTV. When they finally made a video in 1989, fans were outraged and cries of "sell out" began. The only way to hear Metallica in the 80s was to have the album or to copy it from someone. 

So it felt like you were in a cool club, while MTV was pushing Madonna and Cyndi Lauper we knew what time is was for real.

21 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Also, the Asian American community hated and were offended by Karate Kids Mr Myagi even back then. 

But in small defense, Karate Kid was the first place I learned that USA forcing Japanese Americans into camps during the war was a real thing. 

Same here. They neglected to teach us that one in school. 

3 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

I saw a cast reunion of Cant Buy Me Love recently and found some interesting trivia.

Ricky, one of the football jocks was none other than one hit wonder musician Gérardo who scored a hit with the song Rico, Suave. 

Ronalds little brother was played by a young Seth Green.

In sadder news, Amanda Peterson who played the lead role of Cindy Mancini died last year.

I had no idea Ricky was Rico Suave! My mind is officially blown! I knew about Seth Green. I actually think he kind of stole the show with his performance. I went online to look at some photos of Amanda Peterson and there are some really depressing mugshots of her. The drugs and alcohol really messed her up. Courtney Gains will always be Malachai from Children of the Corn but I enjoyed his performance. 

Speaking of Children of the Corn - not sure if this has been mentioned but I think the 80's were pretty great for horror movies. 

Archived