The SFF All-Time Sale List (vol 2) (updated Dec 2018)

Werthead

Honestly I get it, I don't really consider her as writing fantasy, as far as I understand it the primary genre of her work is romance, just with with a fantasy veneer. I haven't read any of it but a friend of mine who's in to a lot of these "trashy tiktok sensation" books (her words) gave me a bit of a review. 

Romance has always been the an enormous selling genre, fantasy is small potatoes by comparison. 

Edited by Poobah
Spelling, yay autocorrect

7 hours ago, Poobah said:

Honestly I get it, I don't really consider her as writing fantasy, as far as I understand it the primary genre of her work is romance, just with with a fantasy veneer.

Sarah's books are absolutely fantasy, and also part of the romantasy sub-genre as well. There's a secondary world, there's magic, etc. For goodness sake, here's a macro summary of one of her series: 

"Throne of Glass is a high fantasy novel series by American author Sarah J. Maas, beginning with the entry of the same name, released in August 2012. The story follows the journey of Celaena Sardothien, a teenage assassin in a corrupt kingdom with a tyrannical ruler, the King of Adarlan. As the tale progresses, Celaena forms unexpected bonds and uncovers a conspiracy amidst her adventures. The series concluded with the eighth book in October 2018."

Definitely fantasy. But also with some smoochies and boobs. (No complaints from me!)

I wouldn't say there's anything new to it. Laurel K. Hamilton, Anne McCaffrey, Mercedes Lackey etc have all been doing the same thing for decades on end, and you'd be silly to say they were not fantasy, it's just a marketing tool.