The SFF All-Time Sale List (vol 2) (updated Dec 2018)

Werthead

9 hours ago, IlyaP said:

I just...I don't...

Like..

How many cookbooks do you NEED?!

However many the market will bear. :) Chelsea has since expanded to creating cookbooks for other settings including games (World of WarcraftHearthstone, Elder Scrolls) and science fiction shows and films (Firefly, Star Trek, Star Wars). 

If you're curious, she has some of the original recipes that started it all here.

• 1 month later...

The second book in the series Iron Flame is also selling well.

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/bookselling/article/93846-suzanne-collins-rebecca-yarros-drove-print-book-sales-up-over-thanksgiving.html

These are US numbers:

Since it was released in early November, Iron Flame has sold over 751,000 copies, while Fourth Wing, published in May, has sold more than 930,000 copies.

Brandon Sanderson update:

His bestsellers have sold 32 million copies worldwide

Leigh Bardugo update:

Her books have sold more than 20 million copies worldwide and have been translated into nearly 50 different languages.

Sarah J. Maas update:

Maas’ Throne of Glass, Court of Thorns and Roses, and Crescent City series have sold more than 26 million copies worldwide

R. A. Salvatore update from the Edelweiss catalogue:

R. A. Salvatore's books have sold more than thirty-five million copies, have landed on many bestseller lists, and have been translated into numerous foreign languages.

Posted (edited)

After some debate, I've started assembling the new list. It's slow going and hard work, but should be interesting once done.

The big winner on the new list so far is Rick Riordan, who has sold 105 million more books (!) in six years.

Sarah J. Maas's sales are also insane. 7 million in 2018, 26 million now and rocketing upwards at a rate of knots. She's a much faster-selling author than Sanderson (whose sales growth appears to have become quite sluggish recently, which seems weird given that Kickstarter).

Edited by Werthead

5 hours ago, Werthead said:

Updated list.

Waiting to see if I get a repeat of last time, where at least one author had a Twitter meltdown hissy fit at not making it on the list.

Wait, what? Who got into a tizzy the last time you did this?!

On 1/14/2024 at 8:44 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Abercrombie only at 5 million? I thought he would be at least in double digits by now. 

Also Jim Butcher at just 6? And Scott Lynch didn't even sell 1m? Quite a few big surprises on this list for me.

2 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Also Jim Butcher at just 6? And Scott Lynch didn't even sell 1m? Quite a few big surprises on this list for me.

Pretty sure Lies has sold 1 million, I just can't find the source now. Jim Butcher has probably sold more (and Robin Hobb a lot more) but better figures are simply not available.