US Politics: YOUTUBE LINKS OR GTFO

Martell Spy

2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Holy shit, read the first comment on that You Tube. I Can't Even...

/Constitutionalist? Really? That's your fucking username with a comment like that?

Why would I pollute my beautiful mind by reading YouTube  comments?   Bleah!  

1 minute ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Why would I pollute my beautiful mind by reading YouTube  comments?   Bleah!  

In the context of the video you posted it's especially maddening. (Cool scene, by the by) It's like really? That's what you got from that? What the fuck is your life experience like that you could turn that video into that comment? Fucking insane.

2 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I'm not trying to change anyone's minds on some forum for a defunct book series.  

Ooh! Has all hope of a resolution fled or are you one who believes the quality has become unbearable?

3 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

In the context of the video you posted it's especially maddening. (Cool scene, by the by) It's like really? That's what you got from that? What the fuck is your life experience like that you could turn that video into that comment? Fucking insane.

I saw the movie Cabaret in the theater about three years ago.  And that scene, on the big screen, was so powerful and creepy that I had hairs standing up on the back of my neck when it ended.  It starts out so serene and beautiful, and ends up showing how the rot just slowly oozes along and pollutes the body politic.  I would say the comment you mentioned (and I couldn't resist, I read it) is really pretty terrible.  The ooze is on the move. 

15 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

I saw the movie Cabaret in the theater about three years ago.  And that scene, on the big screen, was so powerful and creepy that I had hairs standing up on the back of my neck when it ended.  It starts out so serene and beautiful, and ends up showing how the rot just slowly oozes along and pollutes the body politic.  I would say the comment you mentioned (and I couldn't resist, I read it) is really pretty terrible.  The ooze is on the move. 

Yeah, that is a great fucking movie. Terribly underrated IMHO. Fantastic scene. My daughter just got cast in her Community College's production of it. I hope they do it justice. Very timely.

9 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, that is a great fucking movie. Terribly underrated IMHO. Fantastic scene. My daughter just got cast in her Community College's production of it. I hope they do it justice. Very timely.

Nice, best to her and the cast!  Yes, Cabaret is a great film and fantastic on the big screen if you ever get the chance. 

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Y'all are missing my point.  The scientific consensus is correct until it is incorrect.  As such it is absolutely right and proper for scientists who disagree with that concensus to speak about their disagreement.  To say otherwise is to reject the scientific method.

Another example. Scientific concensus was that the expansion of the Universe was slowing until it was shown that it was accelerating.  That will be considered true unless someone shows that data or the analysis of that data to be faulty.  The Scientific Method demands falsification.

But only if they have data to show that the general agreement is wrong. When physicists believed the expansion of the universe was slowing, it was based on research and data that they had to had. And no one was saying, with a complete lack of opposing data, that actually the expansion is accelerating. They started questioning the slowing expansion of the universe once data became available that called this conclusion into question, and they continued digging until it was shown that current data shows the expansion is accelerating.

You can certainly point out that the predictive value for consequences of climate change is low, and that it is hard to predict with any certainly the timeline and severity. You can even question the magnitude of the human effects on climate change. What you can't do with any scientifically robust data is say that there is no human effect, or that the magnitude of the human effect will almost certainly be minimal. At best you can say that more data is needed to be able to improve the accuracy of predictions. And I don't think anyone in the climate change consensus would disagree that more accurate objective data is always better.

You can't say that it is good science to disagree with a consensus. It is only good science to disagree with a consensus when you have good evidence to back up your disagreement. You also can't predict that a consensus will eventually be shown to be incorrect, so you will be an outlier and disagree with everyone because one day there will be data to show your minority view is right.

But at some point we need to make public policy on certain scientific matters, where on other scientific matters we can leave it to the boffins of academia to discuss in dusty libraries and lecture halls. We can let the scientists argue about the angels on the head of a pin concerning the expansion of the universe because for now there seems to be no public policy importance to that information. With climate change, the implications for public policy are substantial and immediate. By the time we have enough data to convince the sceptics it might be too late to do anything to prevent massive social and political upheaval and the loss of millions or even hundreds of millions of lives. So we act on less data than we might ideally want, or we just let things carry on, keep collecting data do nothing substantial and let the chips fall where they may.

59 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, turns out people don't care for it much when their government tortures and kills their children. 

The citizens of Indiana actually prefer such leadership. If the methods are carried out against the undesirables of course.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

/Constitutionalist? Really? That's your fucking username with a comment like that?

My mom died 7 years ago (you have no idea what a stab of pain I got typing that, it seems like yesterday) and I could feel her sitting beside me as I watched that, telling me that was Germany during the war. She was 14 when the Germans marched into Poland, and was taken away to be slave labor on a German farm. We watched that movie together. She often told me how peer pressure kept people quiet, because if you spoke up you might disappear, how older German people were afraid of their children. The camera focusing on the elderly gentleman speaks volumes.

2 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

My mom died 7 years ago (you have now idea what a stab of pain I got typing that, it seems like yesterday) and I could feel her sitting beside me as I watched that, telling me that was Germany during the war. She was 14 when the Germans marched into Poland, and was taken away to be slave labor on a German farm. We watched that movie together. She often told me how peer pressure kept people quiet, because if you spoke up you might disappear, how older German people were afraid of their children. The camera focusing on the elderly gentleman speaks volumes.

Thanks for sharing something so personal, Fragile Bird. Yeah, that scene is really powerful in that I think most us us can relate to that sort of situation. Obviously the scope and stakes there are much more sinister than anything I've ever had to deal with. I shudder to think how I would deal with that on a personal level.

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Hey man, just a "constitutional conservative". :rolleyes:

Just now, Nasty LongRider said:

Obligatory youtube link or GTFO

https://youtu.be/lv0jav4lNsk

"Tomorrow Belongs to Me"

You know, I just gotta say, that whole creepy scene probably would have never happened, if it weren't for some lefty showing up talking about identity politics.

CNN has been showing scenes live from a town hall Republican representative Jason Chaffetz in Utah is holding. A thousand people have shown up, and apparently there are another thousand people outside who couldn't get into the meeting, and people are angry about things Trump is doing.

17 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

CNN has been showing scenes live from a town hall Republican representative Jason Chaffetz in Utah is holding. A thousand people have shown up, and apparently there are another thousand people outside who couldn't get into the meeting, and people are angry about things Trump is doing.

Chaffetz's district is deep red, that's astroturfing at its finest.

Analogous to early 1970s: vocal, disruptive, sometimes violent minority, media/academy/entertainment elites aligned against POTUS

then he wins 49 states in 1972, despite not being personally likable

8 minutes ago, Commodore said:

Chaffetz's district is deep red, that's astroturfing at its finest.

Analogous to early 1970s: vocal, disruptive, sometimes violent minority, media/academy/entertainment elites aligned against POTUS

then he wins 49 states in 1972, despite not being personally likable

Hahaha, we're in week three of a brand new administration, not in year 5 of a guy running a highly unpopular 10 year old war with 50,000 dead American soldiers.

Archived