NBA 2017: Take That For Data - MVP Edition

Relic

1 hour ago, DunderMifflin said:

I'm pretty sure Harden is going to get his fair share of shit over the course of the next year and he isn't even Lebron level.

I'm just baffled that no one is talking about what an absolute liability Ryan Anderson was. He was the clear weak spot that Popovich exploited to the fullest. Anderson was the guy that played worse defense than the wind on Aldridge forcing the perimeter defenders to constantly have to sprint across the court only to weakly flail at open shooters.

As I've said before, I'm more than willing to give guys a pass for their first bright lights failure, but this wasn't Harden's first.  When you take into account that he only plays on one side of the ball, he deserves to get hammered for pulling a no show at home in an elimination game against a team missing their best player and another starter.  It'd be one thing if they lost by five points, but losing by forty at home?  They rolled over like a submissive dog.

34 minutes ago, briantw said:

As I've said before, I'm more than willing to give guys a pass for their first bright lights failure, but this wasn't Harden's first.  When you take into account that he only plays on one side of the ball, he deserves to get hammered for pulling a no show at home in an elimination game against a team missing their best player and another starter.  It'd be one thing if they lost by five points, but losing by forty at home?  They rolled over like a submissive dog.

Still think it's a bit unfair label for such a young player. Ryan Anderson is just as bad as (far worse than) any starter Lebron has ever came out with.  

And honestly Lebron would deserve more shit for such a performance. He gets far more praise and credit when things are going well than Harden does so it's only fair he gets criticized harder if things don't go well.

1 minute ago, DunderMifflin said:

Still think it's a bit unfair label for such a young player. Ryan Anderson is just as bad as (far worse than) any starter Lebron has ever came out with.  

And honestly Lebron would deserve more shit for such a performance. He gets far more praise and credit when things are going well than Harden does so it's only fair he gets criticized harder if things don't go well.

LeBron started games with Eric Snow (at the point in his career when he couldn't even hit free throws or layups) and Drew Gooden.  Both of those guys were every bit as terrible as Ryan Anderson, and unlike Anderson they couldn't even stretch the floor.  Believe me...I watched those games.  That 2007 team LeBron carried to the Finals was atrocious.  You had LeBron, an injured Larry Hughes, an old and hobbled Ilgauskas, an Eric Snow who couldn't hit the ocean from a boat, and Drew Gooden, whose basketball IQ was probably negative.  

The main difference between LeBron and Harden is that LeBron plays on both ends of the floor, so even if he can't hit a shot, he can still impact the game.

9 minutes ago, briantw said:

LeBron started games with Eric Snow (at the point in his career when he couldn't even hit free throws or layups) and Drew Gooden.  Both of those guys were every bit as terrible as Ryan Anderson, and unlike Anderson they couldn't even stretch the floor.  Believe me...I watched those games.  That 2007 team LeBron carried to the Finals was atrocious.  You had LeBron, an injured Larry Hughes, an old and hobbled Ilgauskas, an Eric Snow who couldn't hit the ocean from a boat, and Drew Gooden, whose basketball IQ was probably negative.  

The main difference between LeBron and Harden is that LeBron plays on both ends of the floor, so even if he can't hit a shot, he can still impact the game.

No they weren't. They could actually create an illusion that they were a defender. A 7 foot tall sheet of paper is a better defender than Ryan anderson. His one and only skill seems to me to be hitting open jumpers on slack no intensity regular season defenses.

Just now, DunderMifflin said:

No they weren't. They could actually create an illusion that they were a defender. A 7 foot tall sheet of paper is a better defender than Ryan anderson. His one and only skill seems to me to be hitting open jumpers on slack no intensity regular season defenses.

Drew Gooden never defended anyone in his life.

12 minutes ago, briantw said:

Drew Gooden never defended anyone in his life.

He was on Duncan in the finals and he did way better than Anderson did on Aldridge. Spurs were clearly exploiting the ridiculously one sided anderson/Aldridge matchup. He couldn't even keep him off the offensive glass which is a minimum requirement. I think that game would have looked different with Nene in the lineup.

Zack Lowe wrote a column today and pretty much called Ryan Anderson unplayable. That said,  the first Cavs team that LeBron took to the Finals was atrocious. 

1 hour ago, Relic said:

Zack Lowe wrote a column today and pretty much called Ryan Anderson unplayable. That said,  the first Cavs team that LeBron took to the Finals was atrocious. 

The east was pretty atrocious that year.

The Pistons were on the decline and the Celtics big 3 wasn't a thing yet. 

The Pistons probably should have won that series. They were up 2-0 and game 5 went double OT. Not taking anything away from lebron but I don't think that team was as bad as people say. Big Z was a good player, that's about it but add a lebron and it's a strong team in the east.

Probably during that era Jason Kidd had the bigger gripe of a great player surrounded by scrubs. Those Nets players were nbdl bad.

5 minutes ago, Triskan said:

Thomas had a brutal turnover though when Boston was up 5 and there wasn't much time left which led to a Beal 3 that gave Washington hope.  But he was pretty clutch.  They were up 5 because Thomas had this two sick jumpers in a row on the two preceding possessions.  Sounds like I lucked out on this one.  I didn't really see anything until the 4th but then the final minutes were great.  

Anyone have confirmation that Jaime is alive?  I'm pretty sure the Washington basketball franchise has not been a game away from a conference finals in his lifetime.  

Ah yeah, there was that trap play turnover after the Wall charge. That was big.

I imagine Sir Jaime in his his cups right about now.

6 hours ago, briantw said:

If LeBron had had a performance like this in an elimination game, we'd be hearing about it for the next year.

He did have a performance like that in an elimination game.  He supposedly had a good reason for it (Delonte West banging his Mom) but he most certainly had a terrible close out game against the Celtics in.... either 09 or 10.  Who knows maybe Delonte West struck again and thats why the Beard was so out of it.

Well, after complaining about the playoffs, we've gotten the two best games so far in SA-HOU game 5 and WIZ-BOS game 6.

Definitely looking forward to Warriors-Spurs game one on Sunday. Really hoping that Pop can coach his way around a 10+ point talent differential. Which I think is possible.

10 hours ago, Slurktan said:

He did have a performance like that in an elimination game.  He supposedly had a good reason for it (Delonte West banging his Mom) but he most certainly had a terrible close out game against the Celtics in.... either 09 or 10.  Who knows maybe Delonte West struck again and thats why the Beard was so out of it.

Even Matt Barnes thinks that's cold...

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2015/05/07/0507-matt-james-harden-instagram-3.jpg

Archived