U.S. Politics NEXT!

LongRider

5 hours ago, Altherion said:

I don't think it fell entirely on deaf ears: based on reading the comments sections of outlets reporting on the views of these conservatives (I'lm not sure about the last there, but I've definitely seen at least Brooks and Frum), there exist quite a few people who despise them and take their sounding of the alarm as an indication of something finally having gone right.

What makes Trump so wonderfully different from Neo-Conservatives besids the drop of pretension?

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

Well, if you like that one, your good friend Larry Kudlow is now saying that Trump and the Republicans are on the side of the "Growth Angels" due to the tax bill.

The Growth Angels, so fickle though.  

In September, ArcelorMittal, which owns the mill, announced that it would lay off 150 of the plant’s 207 workers next year. While the cuts will start with the most junior employees, they will go so deep that even workers with decades of experience will be cast out.~~snip~~But after a year in office, Mr. Trump has not enacted these policies. And when it comes to steel, his failure to follow through on a promise has had unintended consequences.

And alas, bonuses from angels only go so far:

AT&T, which is giving $1,000 bonuses to 200,000 employees in the wake of the Republican tax overhaul, is also handing out hundreds of pink slips to workers in Illinois and five other Midwest states.

About 600 workers across a variety of positions, from retail sales clerks to satellite technicians, were notified of the layoffs last week, according to sources close to the situation.

Oh those Growth Angels, apparently Supply Side Jesus only lets their largess go so far.   

2 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

And Geraldine  Ferraro  being on the ticket didn't help Mondale at all. But then again, he never really had a realistic chance of beating Ronald Reagan. 

Yeah and Palin didn't help McCain at all.  Point?

14 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

What makes Trump so wonderfully different from Neo-Conservatives besids the drop of pretension?

The fact that he is disliked by both the Democrats and the list of conservatives from OldGimletEye's post above as well as people like Mitt Romney.

7 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

.:agree: Christmas is not a good time to :fencing: and :bang: over foolish things like politics .  Its a time to be with family :grouphug:.  And be glad that we're all altogether to celebrate Christmas and the coming of a new year.:cheers:

This seems like you're playing identity politics.  Ya know, with you assuming that everyone around here are cultural or religious christians, celebrate the holiday, or have family or family they want to be around.  Also, stop telling me how I'm supposed to feel four days after the winter solstice.  

35 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

This seems like you're playing identity politics.  Ya know, with you assuming that everyone around here are cultural or religious christians, celebrate the holiday, or have family or family they want to be around.  Also, stop telling me how I'm supposed to feel four days after the winter solstice.  

You have  a very interesting way of looking at things.:)

2 hours ago, Altherion said:

The fact that he is disliked by both the Democrats and the list of conservatives from OldGimletEye's post above as well as people like Mitt Romney.

There is no major difference from the goals of Neo-Conservative. All that is gone is the P.C talk of Human Rights and Democracy. The Neo-Cons preach dominance in the service of those goals. What Trump is preaching is Dominance as the goal itself. So what great wrong has Frum or Brooks has done?

1 hour ago, GAROVORKIN said:

All I did was wish everyone a Merry Christmas ( with no bad intent on my part  ) and get  accused of playing Identity  politics?  Give me a break .

No you didn't.  You got outsmarted in a discussion with OGE about political correctness and identity politics and your response was that christmas wasn't a time to argue and that people should be doing certain things.  There was no wishing anyone anything.Demanding that christmas be celebrated and done in a certain way is definitely playing to the identity politics.

But sure.  Take your break.  Come back and get intellectually smashed by the likes of OGE again.  

On 12/25/2017 at 5:21 PM, Martell Spy said:

Well, if you like that one, your good friend Larry Kudlow is now saying that Trump and the Republicans are on the side of the "Growth Angels" due to the tax bill. Also, that Democrats are now hoping that the economy tanks or some such. Maybe the Growth Angels tie in somehow with Supply Side Jesus.

I think I remember that old Biblical story.

Wasn’t it something like Supply Side Jesus accepting a tax free inheritance in order to absolve us from our proletarian sins?

And then some time later he was carried off by the Growth Angels to Galt’s Gulch, shortly after saying something like, “Blessed are the money changers as they are the job creators.” Or maybe it was “Blessed are the libertarians, as they shall inherit, tax free of course,  the Earth”.

27 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

I think I remember that old Biblical story.

Wasn’t it something like Supply Side Jesus accepting a tax free inheritance in order to absolve us from our proletarian sins?

And then some time later he was carried off by the Growth Angels to Galt’s Gulch, shortly after saying something like, “Blessed are the money changers as they are the job creators.” Or maybe it was “Blessed are the libertarians, as they shall inherit, tax free of course,  the Earth”.

Which gets us back to that ancient theological argument, Supply Side Jesus, Savior or Profit?  Just too many Growth Angels dancing on the head of bit coin.   

48 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

No you didn't.  You got outsmarted in a discussion with OGE about political correctness and identity politics and your response was that christmas wasn't a time to argue and that people should be doing certain things.  There was no wishing anyone anything.Demanding that christmas be celebrated and done in a certain way is definitely playing to the identity politics.

But sure.  Take your break.  Come back and get intellectually smashed by the likes of OGE again.  

Damn foiled again ! :D

23 hours ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Which gets us back to that ancient theological argument, Supply Side Jesus, Savior or Profit?  Just too many Growth Angels dancing on the head of bit coin.

LOL. I see what you did there.:lol:

But, yes, I think I remember that as soon as supply side Jesus ascended to Galt’s Gulch, this issue split the Ayn Rand Christian community.

After it became apparent the free market couldn’t decide which version was correct, the leadership of the Ayn Rand Christian Church met in Nicaea or something to resolve the issue, with no resolution. At that point, The Princeps Libertarianius Of The Empire, Constantine The Job Creator, in frustration, at the obvious market failure, asked the Cato Institute to help them decide the matter.

21 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

LOL. I see what you did there.:lol:

But, yes, I think I remember that as soon as supply side Jesus ascended to Galt’s Gulch, this issue split the Ayn Rand Christian community.

After it became apparent the free market couldn’t decide which version was correct, the leadership of the Ayn Rand Christian Church met in Nicaea or something to resolve the issue, with no resolution. At that point, The Princeps Libertarianius Of The Empire, Constantine The Job Creator, in frustration, at the obvious market failure, asked the Cato Institute to help them decide the matter.

:lmao:   

The Cato Institute researched in the desert* and found the Dead GOP Scrolls, and the rest, as they say, is history.  

edt;  That would be the intellectual desert.  

Having utterly failed to grasp the concept of not biting the hand that feeds it, the UN will have this idea demonstrated to them in the next budget:

The U.S. Mission to the United Nations said on Sunday that the U.N.’s 2018-2019 budget would be slashed by over $285 million. The mission said reductions would also be made to the U.N.’s management and support functions.

11 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

Okay, but using one index, you find the ACA increased real healthcare consumption, which was the point of doing it, as some people without insurance were not able to consume any healthcare. Otherwise, why pass it? 

With the other index, you find, that the ACA didn't become a big burden on other consumption choices when compared to historical baselines (ie before the ACA was passed). That seems pretty good. And that is hardly an indictment about the alleged failure of the ACA. 

At any rate, it's extremely misleading to use only a healthcare inflation index to show how the ACA increased real burdens on people.

For more direct evidence that the ACA might have slowed down healthcare's relative price inflation, here:

http://www.frbsf.org/economic-research/publications/economic-letter/2017/november/contribution-to-low-pce-inflation-from-healthcare/

That's a fair analysis.  Definitely agree with your first point that the ACA increased health care consumption, which was it's primary purpose, so by at least that measure it's been a success.

Archived