TTTNE 472: A new Year, a new Ruler-or not

Jen'ari

9 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

WEST COVINNAAA!

CALIFOOOORNIAAAAAA!

2 hours ago, Lady Olenna said:

West Covina is it’s own special place. They represent it pretty well which is why the satire is so funny. The musical stuff used to get on my nerves but then they did the Music Man when she was finding clients in joshs apartments and that got me good. That and the heavy boobs number. Definitely enjoying it more than I expected. 

I needed to look up West Covina on google maps when I started to watch, I have never heard of it before. It looks like it is not even a city geographically apart from other cities, they just melt together. American ideas of cities are ... odd for this Euro here. They act like West Covina is this small backwards town, but then they show that it has 100 000, which is like ... bigger than all the cities in my country apart from two?

And the "two hours from the beach" being represented to mean "near the beach" is absurd to me. I mean, I could probably drive to the seaside in one hour, but nobody will say my place is near the sea. I can sit in a car and drive in almost any direction from the middle of the country, and I am out of the country.

You mean Cold Showers? That one is one of my favourites too. I used its lyrics for the last pictionary game. :P

9 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

CALIFOOOORNIAAAAAA!

I needed to look up West Covina on google maps when I started to watch, I have never heard of it before. It looks like it is not even a city geographically apart from other cities, they just melt together. American ideas of cities are ... odd for this Euro here. They act like West Covina is this small backwards town, but then they show that it has 100 000, which is like ... bigger than all the cities in my country apart from two?

And the "two hours from the beach" being represented to mean "near the beach" is absurd to me. I mean, I could probably drive to the seaside in one hour, but nobody will say my place is near the sea. I can sit in a car and drive in almost any direction from the middle of the country, and I am out of the country.

You mean Cold Showers? That one is one of my favourites too. I used its lyrics for the last pictionary game. :P

So LA county is weird. There are tons of cities within the county but somehow they all just blend together even though they are separate. 100,000 is pretty small. We lived in Long Beach which is about 500,000 and even though we were within a few miles of the beach we rarely went. It’s dirty and kinda gross and crowded. The beach culture on CEG is funny because that’s how CA is even if you live hours from the beach. It’s silly. 

Anyhow, we finally got around to buying lumber and corner walls for a raised garden bed. I asked the employee if they had cedar and he said oh you don’t want that you want pressure treated wood for the AZ heat. I reluctantly agreed and now I’m reading that pressure treated = leached chemicals :( so now I get to load all this lumber back into the car and return it. Ugh! Why do I second guess myself? :bang: 

20 hours ago, Lady Olenna said:

Probably just blonde highlights. Minimal at best just to cover up these wild grays. 

:lol: 

West Covina is it’s own special place. They represent it pretty well which is why the satire is so funny. The musical stuff used to get on my nerves but then they did the Music Man when she was finding clients in joshs apartments and that got me good. That and the heavy boobs number. Definitely enjoying it more than I expected. 

The musical numbers are an utter joy to me. I have been listening The the soundtrack on my phone while walking since last year when I started watching the show! 

I think the UTI song was a personal highlight of season 1. Also, not one you will have seen yet but “After Everything I’ve done for you” is awesome too, and not just becaus even it’s performed by the astounding Donna Lynne Champlin. 

On 25/03/2018 at 10:07 AM, RhaenysBee said:

Nope, sorry to disappoint :lol: 

Mother’s Day over there? Wow. How many mother’s days are there? :o it seems so impractical to celebrate mothers on different days in the world. I would have just one international mother’s day.

I shall make it silver.....

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The musical numbers are an utter joy to me. I have been listening The the soundtrack on my phone while walking since last year when I started watching the show! 

I think the UTI song was a personal highlight of season 1. Also, not one you will have seen yet but “After Everything I’ve done for you” is awesome too, and not just becaus even it’s performed by the astounding Donna Lynne Champlin. 

Would I actually enjoy this show at all?, you all seem obsessed :P.

22 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I needed to look up West Covina on google maps when I started to watch, I have never heard of it before. It looks like it is not even a city geographically apart from other cities, they just melt together. American ideas of cities are ... odd for this Euro here.

It's odd for me too, even though we do the same thing here in at least a couple of places! I'd guess they used to be much more separated, but merged together as the population grew? Though calling them cities when they were small enough to be separate also seems weird.

22 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

And the "two hours from the beach" being represented to mean "near the beach" is absurd to me.

I get the impression the show shares your opinion. Though it is a country where you can be two days away from the beach.

5 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

Would I actually enjoy this show at all?, you all seem obsessed :P.

Well I do get pretty hung up on tv shows :P I guess it depends on your taste though. It’s a lot cleverer and more insightful than you wouldctypically expect from a CW show though. Do you think musical numbers mid-episode (2-3 per episode) would bother you?

9 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Well I do get pretty hung up on tv shows :P I guess it depends on your taste though. It’s a lot cleverer and more insightful than you wouldctypically expect from a CW show though. Do you think musical numbers mid-episode (2-3 per episode) would bother you?

The musical numbers are really the best part of it. :D

It is a pretty unique show, so I can't really judge. The main character is somewhat evil, so that is something @Lord Sidious would probably enjoy ...

46 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

It is a pretty unique show, so I can't really judge. The main character is somewhat evil, so that is something @Lord Sidious would probably enjoy ...

Now I want to rewatch the swimfan episode. Evil tree!

37 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Now I want to rewatch the swimfan episode. Evil tree!

No shrubbery was harmed in the making of this production.

(Is that supposed to be spoiler tagged? It really makes absolutely no sense outside of context and gives away no plot points, so I suppose not?)

Also, do you actually know any of the films they mention there? Swimfan, and all the stuff with Danish actors?

16 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Life is taking care of that, don’t worry :lol: but as long as hair dye exists, I shall fight back. 

I’ve been very lucky with that, not got a grey yet at 30 :D.

12 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

It depends what sort of musical numbers they burst into song with really.

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Could you define somewhat a bit better as I fear our definitions of evil may differ a bit, is he/she blowing up planets sort of evil or I’m not going to invite you to the Christmas party sort of evil?.

7 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

No shrubbery was harmed in the making of this production.

(Is that supposed to be spoiler tagged? It really makes absolutely no sense outside of context and gives away no plot points, so I suppose not?)

Also, do you actually know any of the films they mention there? Swimfan, and all the stuff with Danish actors?

I have no idea what Swimfan is no. Or the Danish actors. Though I obviously know who Scarlet Johanson is

It depends what sort of musical numbers they burst into song with really.

Very different types of songs, very different genres. What they have in common is that almost all have very clever lyrics.

Could you define somewhat a bit better as I fear our definitions of evil may differ a bit, is he/she blowing up planets sort of evil or I’m not going to invite you to the Christmas party sort of evil?.

Somewhere on that spectrum, yes. :P

After months of searching for a room, I've finally found a house that'll have me. Of course, it's also literally been years since I've been this broke. I have €11,56 to my name and the site that I need to apply for a student loan on is down for the entire month of April. And I have not one, not two, but three trips abroad in the next two months. Yay for student life!

Archived