Jaime and Aegon

AlaskanSandman

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Catelyn X, Game 63

Assuming Aegon is The Blackfyre, this might foreshadow Jaime supporting his claim (not wittingly supporting The Blackfyre, though), and in any event, it might foreshadow Jaime ending up with the Night's Watch. 

In what capacity? Jaime is even a greater Ser Useless than Eustace Osgrey ever was.

3 hours ago, talvikorppi said:

Add to this the Stark bastard Jon Snow, and Jaime's regret at failing to protect Rhaegar's children... You can see where this might be going...

Jaime has no connection to Jon Snow or Lyanna Stark, not even to Prince Rhaegar's unborn son whose true name we do not know. Jaime promised Rhaegar to protect Elia, Rhaenys, and Aegon with his life as a Kingsguard. That's where he failed. And he failed spectacularly considering that Gregor and Amory continued to live until they met bears and Qyburn. Jaime put down those alchemists but he felt no need to avenge the wife and children of his prince. He didn't need to kill his own father, but he could have killed his henchmen.

In any case, the issue here is that Jaime has made Rhaegar a promise which he broke - but he now has a chance to rectify all that if he pledges himself to Aegon and makes things up to him. Aegon is not just Rhaegar's son - for Jaime he will be Rhaegar come again, a much more powerful motivation.

Jon Snow is never going to fit into that equation in any meaningful sense. He doesn't look like Rhaegar, he isn't connected to Jaime in any sense whatsoever, and he'll never need the help of a man like Jaime - unlike Aegon, who could really profit if Jaime turned against his own children and publicly confessed that they were abominations born of incest with as strong claims to the Iron Throne as Hot Pie.

The whole Kingmaker thing is alluded to in AFfC in a very ominous was via Ser Criston Cole. There is a reason why this guy suddenly became a relevant background character. If Jaime follows his path he'll completely fuck things up, and he will fuck them up hard. Jaime is the only prominent Kingsguard POV around aside from Barristan Selmy (who has already found his queen). Tommen is still king, and Jaime won't put Myrcella against Tommen, nor will he join Euron or Stannis or Daenerys. That leaves only Aegon.

5 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

In what capacity? Jaime is even a greater Ser Useless than Eustace Osgrey ever was.

This made me laugh pretty hard

5 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Jaime has no connection to Jon Snow

I imagine (If R+L=J is actually true) Jamie not giving two figs about the product of Rhaegar loin upon a Stark that destroyed his own House. (Jamie is not to blame for the fall of House Targaryen, even if he killed Aerys II, Aerys II was going to die that night, Period). If anything, i think learning of this little secret would just irritate Jamie and make him lose more faith. Right now he seems to have believed in Rhaegar and looked up to him. I think this would break that. 

In fact, i dont recall Jamie ever thinking about Rhaegar and Lyanna.

7 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

You sound like Chett, when Jon was urging Maester Aemon to find a spot for Samwell in the Night's Watch. 

Jon knew Qhorin Halfhand the instant he saw him, though they had never met. The big ranger was half a legend in the Watch; a man of slow words and swift action, tall and straight as a spear, long-limbed and solemn. Unlike his men, he was clean-shaven. His hair fell from beneath his helm in a heavy braid touched with hoarfrost, and the blacks he wore were so faded they might have been greys. Only thumb and forefinger remained on the hand that held the reins; the other fingers had been sheared off catching a wildling's axe that would otherwise have split his skull. It was told that he had thrust his maimed fist into the face of the axeman so the blood spurted into his eyes, and slew him while he was blind. Since that day, the wildlings beyond the Wall had known no foe more implacable.

Jon V, Clash 53

Qhorin drew his longsword. The tale of how he had taught himself to fight with his left hand after losing half of his right was part of his legend; it was said that he handled a blade better now than he ever had before.

Jon VIII, Clash 68

Like Qhorin did, Jaime is training to fight with his left. And Jaime is a seasoned battle commander. 

You sound like Chett, when Jon was urging Maester Aemon to find a spot for Samwell in the Night's Watch.

This was a joke. But then, Chett was of more use in the Watch than Jaime could be right now.

Like Qhorin did, Jaime is training to fight with his left. And Jaime is a seasoned battle commander. 

That is true, but he is not likely going to arrive there while the thing still stands. And he has zero experience fighting zombie armies, nor the ability to inspire awe and loyalty in others by running around with a burning sword (at least in an impressive fashion). He is a cripple, even if he learns to fight with his left hand - which is not likely to happen.

Ilyn Payne may keep his sword in order, but there is no indication whatsoever that guy has trained in the yard with seasoned and capable warriors in ages. I once speculated whether the dude was some kind of secret super sword fighter - if that was the case Jaime sucking as hard as he does wouldn't be that bad a sign - but that chances for that are not that good.

The only thing preventing the dogs from turning on the Kingslayer right now is that they don't know yet how weak he actually is. Once they sniff it, they will devour him alive, and Jaime knows it. That comes across very well in Jaime's own chapters. That is why he channels Tywin and tries to be a dangerous man with his mouth now that's all that's left of him.

The way out of this shit hole of a life is not the Wall - a ridiculous idea for a man like Jaime - but to abandon everything he lived for the last sixteen years and turn back to his dreams.

Goldenhand the Just is going to be a Targaryen man. Aegon's man. Not a moron fighting against snarks and grumkins.

If Jaime lives through the Second Dance he could do his share of the great deeds the same way everybody else that is still living can do them. But he has first to live to see that day.

On 2/27/2018 at 10:24 PM, Lord Varys said:

Jaime has no connection to Jon Snow or Lyanna Stark, not even to Prince Rhaegar's unborn son whose true name we do not know.

I'd say Jaime has, indeed, a connection to House Stark. Flinging one of the sons out a tower window, crippling him is a... uhm... stark connection. Wounding Ned in KL, losing a battle to the Young Wolf Robb Stark and becoming a captive for a year or so, swearing oaths - albeit drunk and at swordpoint, so how binding? - to Lady Stark, and deciding to keep those oaths... Only to be defeated by his own family, who have married Sansa to Tyrion and failed to capture or find Arya, and now even Sansa has disappeared. How is Jaime supposed to keep his swordpoint oath to the now dead person? Catelyn actually counted on Tyrion to keep his oath given in open court, but Tyrion married Sansa after he was sidelined in court. Jaime knew none of this, he just can't win.  Whatever he does, he's breaking one oath or another. It's almost like it's the theme of his story, haha!  

As to Jon Snow. He's thought to be a bastard scion of House Stark, Lord Ned Stark's own son, so there's the first connection. Now, consider Jaime's weirwood stump dream. (I'm not 100% convinced that dream was sent by Blooodraven, Jaime's own regrets and feelings of guilt are enough, the weirwood stump forced some honest self-reflection - it's been stated in the books that a man cannot lie in front of a weirwood.) The weirwood dream brings to fore the blame, the guilt, the regret Jaime has for failing to protect Rhaegar's children. Realistically, he could not have done it. He was killing the Mad King and reeling from the enormity of it, while Amory Lorch and Gregor Clegane were scaling the walls of Maegor's and killing Elia and the children. However, Jaime feels regret and blame for it.

So, as to Jon Snow... I'm hoping Jaime's adventures with Lady Stoneheart etc. keep him from attaching himself to the (f)Aegon bandwagon. Going against Tommen and Myrcella, his own children, is a bit no-no anyway. But say, after Tommen and Myrcella are dead... And Jaime learns of Jon Snow's parentage (assuming R+L=J is true). He has nothing else left than help and protect the last child of Rheagar. In the great war. Jaime will end up redeemed in the eyes of many readers, though not all - such as yourself - and probably not in the eyes of the Westerosi. I think his tragedy will be that he will, in the end, be a true hero but nobody will know or sing his praises.

You probably disagree with my reasoning and fanforcasting, but I'm putting it out here for other forum users to digest, agree or disagree with.

My point is that Jaime is very tightly connected with the Starks AND Rheagar's children.

49 minutes ago, talvikorppi said:

I'd say Jaime has, indeed, a connection to House Stark. Flinging one of the sons out a tower window, crippling him is a... uhm... stark connection. Wounding Ned in KL, losing a battle to the Young Wolf Robb Stark and becoming a captive for a year or so, swearing oaths - albeit drunk and at swordpoint, so how binding? - to Lady Stark, and deciding to keep those oaths... Only to be defeated by his own family, who have married Sansa to Tyrion and failed to capture or find Arya, and now even Sansa has disappeared. How is Jaime supposed to keep his swordpoint oath to the now dead person? Catelyn actually counted on Tyrion to keep his oath given in open court, but Tyrion married Sansa after he was sidelined in court. Jaime knew none of this, he just can't win.  Whatever he does, he's breaking one oath or another. It's almost like it's the theme of his story, haha!

Well, those are mostly superficial connections. Jaime does want to keep his vow to Cat, but he has other priorities than, you know ensure that her children are safe - say, by ensuring that House Lannister is not going to hunt them down or, you know, by going to look for them himself.

His thoughts do not revolve around the Starks and Tullys, nor does he anything in AFfC/ADwD to win their trust. Edmure flat-out hates him, and tells him that to his face. If the man lives and escapes Jaime cannot expect any mercy from him. Not after what he pulled off at Riverrun. And Cat - Cat believes Jaime was the (or a) man behind the Red Wedding.

Now, there is potential in those interactions Jaime had with Bran and Cat, but the latter is going to play out very soon and I don't think he and Bran are likely going to meet in the future - nor is Bran going to care all that much about this legs thing, anymore. He didn't all that much after he remembered who broke him, and now he has much larger concerns.

As to Jon Snow. He's thought to be a bastard scion of House Stark, Lord Ned Stark's own son, so there's the first connection.

That isn't really a connection. You could just as well say Stannis has a connection to Sam because he is married to a Florent. They do not even recognize that they are kin. Jaime might not even know that Jon Snow exists.

Now, consider Jaime's weirwood stump dream. (I'm not 100% convinced that dream was sent by Blooodraven, Jaime's own regrets and feelings of guilt are enough, the weirwood stump forced some honest self-reflection - it's been stated in the books that a man cannot lie in front of a weirwood.) The weirwood dream brings to fore the blame, the guilt, the regret Jaime has for failing to protect Rhaegar's children. Realistically, he could not have done it. He was killing the Mad King and reeling from the enormity of it, while Amory Lorch and Gregor Clegane were scaling the walls of Maegor's and killing Elia and the children. However, Jaime feels regret and blame for it.

The main indication that the weirwood dream was shaped to fulfill a specific purpose is the fact that Tywin and Cersei act completely out of character in that dream. Jaime doesn't feel any guilt towards them, nor has he any reason to cook up fantasies where they reject or abandon him (and that the fact that he lacks his hand in that dream indicates that this is not, in fact, a normal dream).

The purpose of this dream is very clear. Jaime is manipulated by the person shaping the dream to save the life of Brienne. She is his hope, she is the one who will help him when he has to face his demons.

On his own, Jaime would never dream about Brienne in such a manner.

Jaime could, of course, have protected Elia and the children. He was a knight of the Kingsguard. He should have ensured they were safe. And he should, of course, have gone out of the fucking throne room to ensure his dad was not going to do anything stupid. Instead he placed his ass on the Iron Throne, doing nothing.

So, as to Jon Snow... I'm hoping Jaime's adventures with Lady Stoneheart etc. keep him from attaching himself to the (f)Aegon bandwagon. Going against Tommen and Myrcella, his own children, is a bit no-no anyway.

He has already decided that he will destroy them and their claims by telling them the truth. Telling them means they have to choose between the truth and power. And if they choose the truth they will inevitably die. Nobody is going to spare the lives of false kings and abominations born of incest. Even if they lived, they won't be able to inherit Casterly Rock.

And it is pretty obvious that Cat is not going to let Jaime off the hook until he has done everything she asks of him - which will, of course, include betraying him family, helping her retake Riverrun and put down his aunt and uncle, free her brother Edmure and the other hostages, etc.

Forcing the Kingslayer publicly to reveal the truth about his own children will be the icing on the cake. It will destroy the Lannister power over the Iron Throne and allow Cat to see her enemies be brought as low as her family is. It will give her great satisfaction. And she has earned that after the ordeal she went through.

But say, after Tommen and Myrcella are dead... And Jaime learns of Jon Snow's parentage (assuming R+L=J is true). He has nothing else left than help and protect the last child of Rheagar. In the great war. Jaime will end up redeemed in the eyes of many readers, though not all - such as yourself - and probably not in the eyes of the Westerosi. I think his tragedy will be that he will, in the end, be a true hero but nobody will know or sing his praises.

He could just as well protect Rhaegar's sister - Daenerys Targaryen.

But Jaime will, of course, have other options. Jon can never give what Aegon can give Jaime. Aegon is the child Jaime, personally, failed. If he gets his forgiveness he gets Rhaegar's forgiveness, too. He can look  at himself in the mirror again.

Jaime never failed this boy who likes like Eddard Stark. Who has the same face, and the same condemning eyes. He never even swore to protect him. Jon could never give him what he craves. And this is all about Jaime. It is about his personal issues. The way he is written sets him up perfectly to join Aegon and become the second 'Kingmaker' in the tradition of accursed Criston Cole.

If he survives all this he could end up Jon and Dany in the end. I don't know what's going to happen to him in the end.

On 2/26/2018 at 2:05 PM, AlaskanSandman said:

Unless Aegon's interest aligns with Cersei's. Wedding Marcella to Aegon would be one way.

It's asking too much for Aegon to forgive the Lannisters for what they did.  The children, even the children, were murdered.  Aegon might be a Blackfyre but he would be appalled by what the Lannisters did and I would pick him to win in a fight with Ser One Hand.

3 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

He has already decided that he will destroy them and their claims by telling them the truth. Telling them means they have to choose between the truth and power. And if they choose the truth they will inevitably die. Nobody is going to spare the lives of false kings and abominations born of incest. Even if they lived, they won't be able to inherit Casterly Rock.

Apart from anything else, this is one thing I take issue with your "pronouncements".  Jaime has not decided to reveal the truth of their parentage to Tommen and Myrcella. He's toying with the idea but he's aware of the risks. Get Tommen off the IT and he might live and have a dad at Casterly Rock. Cersei, of course, will never give up her grasp on the IT, her hunger for power will kill Tommen and Myrcella.

Jaime might be able to protect Tommen's and Myrcella's lives if he could take them away from Cersei, KL, to Casterly Rock or wherever, and renounce their claim to the IT - revealing at least half of the truth, that Tommen and Myrcella aren't Robert's. That kind of throws Cersei under the bus but...

I don't think this issue will rise because Tommen and Myrcella will be dead before Jaime has any chance to do anything for them or about them. Except have massive regrets and guilts again. There is no happy ending for Ser Jaime Lannister. Dying sort of heroically is probably best he can get, and he might not even get that.

4 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Jaime might not even know that Jon Snow exists.

He does know Jon exists. He may not have seen him while he was at Winterfell because he seemed to have been kept out of sight according to Cersei, but Jaime uses Jon to taunt Catelyn before she releases him, and later tells Blackfish that Jon is the lord commander of the NW. He knows he exists.

14 minutes ago, Widow's Watch said:

He does know Jon exists. He may not have seen him while he was at Winterfell because he seemed to have been kept out of sight according to Cersei, but Jaime uses Jon to taunt Catelyn before she releases him, and later tells Blackfish that Jon is the lord commander of the NW. He knows he exists.

Exactly. We must not let some heavily biased opinions become "fact", no matter how hard some opinionated posters try.

6 hours ago, talvikorppi said:

I'd say Jaime has, indeed, a connection to House Stark. Flinging one of the sons out a tower window, crippling him is a... uhm... stark connection

Excellent! :lol:

Wounding Ned in KL, losing a battle to the Young Wolf Robb Stark and becoming a captive for a year or so, swearing oaths - albeit drunk and at swordpoint, so how binding? - to Lady Stark, and deciding to keep those oaths... Only to be defeated by his own family, who have married Sansa to Tyrion and failed to capture or find Arya, and now even Sansa has disappeared. How is Jaime supposed to keep his swordpoint oath to the now dead person? Catelyn actually counted on Tyrion to keep his oath given in open court, but Tyrion married Sansa after he was sidelined in court. Jaime knew none of this, he just can't win.  Whatever he does, he's breaking one oath or another. It's almost like it's the theme of his story, haha!  

Well said, I agree. 

As to Jon Snow. He's thought to be a bastard scion of House Stark, Lord Ned Stark's own son, so there's the first connection. Now, consider Jaime's weirwood stump dream. (I'm not 100% convinced that dream was sent by Blooodraven, Jaime's own regrets and feelings of guilt are enough, the weirwood stump forced some honest self-reflection - it's been stated in the books that a man cannot lie in front of a weirwood.)

I'm not 1% convinced that dream was sent by BR. Never quite understood this one, for the same reasons you brought up. Also, "BR did it/skinchanged it" - yawn.

The weirwood dream brings to fore the blame, the guilt, the regret Jaime has for failing to protect Rhaegar's children. Realistically, he could not have done it. He was killing the Mad King and reeling from the enormity of it, while Amory Lorch and Gregor Clegane were scaling the walls of Maegor's and killing Elia and the children. However, Jaime feels regret and blame for it.

I was listening to this chapter on a long drive earlier today. And again, I agree w/ you.

It's also very interesting how Jaime compares Cersei and Brienne in the dream, and this is shortly after the bath in Harrenhal w/ Brienne, "gentler than Cersei". Here he thinks to himself that Cersei's torch is the only light in the world:

“Sister, why has Father brought us here?”
“Us? This is your place, Brother. This is your darkness.” Her torch was the only light in the cavern. Her torch was the only light in the world. She turned to go.
“Stay with me,” Jaime pleaded. “Don’t leave me here alone.” But they were leaving. “Don’t leave me in the dark!” Something terrible lived down here. “Give me a sword, at least.”

<snip>

“From behind came a great splash. Jaime whirled toward the sound . . . but the faint light revealed only Brienne of Tarth, her hands bound in heavy chains. “I swore to keep you safe,” the wench said stubbornly. “I swore an oath.” Naked, she raised her hands to Jaime. “Ser. Please. If you would be so good.”
The steel links parted like silk. “A sword,” Brienne begged, and there it was, scabbard, belt, and all. She buckled it around her thick waist. The light was so dim that Jaime could scarcely see her, though they stood a scant few feet apart. In this light she could almost be a beauty, he thought. In this light she could almost be a knight. Brienne’s sword took flame as well, burning silvery blue. The darkness retreated a little more.
The flames will burn so long as you live,” he heard Cersei call. “When they die, so must you.”

It's Brienne's light that will keep him safe, not Cersei's. 

So, as to Jon Snow... I'm hoping Jaime's adventures with Lady Stoneheart etc. keep him from attaching himself to the (f)Aegon bandwagon. Going against Tommen and Myrcella, his own children, is a bit no-no anyway. But say, after Tommen and Myrcella are dead... And Jaime learns of Jon Snow's parentage (assuming R+L=J is true). He has nothing else left than help and protect the last child of Rheagar. In the great war. Jaime will end up redeemed in the eyes of many readers, though not all - such as yourself - and probably not in the eyes of the Westerosi. I think his tragedy will be that he will, in the end, be a true hero but nobody will know or sing his praises.

I've recently remembered something from way back when I was pursuing the idea of Jaime as the Last Hero. :eek:

You probably disagree with my reasoning and fanforcasting, but I'm putting it out here for other forum users to digest, agree or disagree with.

No, I totally agree w/ you! :P

My point is that Jaime is very tightly connected with the Starks AND Rheagar's children.

:agree:

34 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I'm not 1% convinced that dream was sent by BR. Never quite understood this one, for the same reasons you brought up. Also, "BR did it/skinchanged it" - yawn.

It's nothing more than the reference to the pale stump. The way the author revealed that suggested that it was for a reason. And the only reason I can think of is to associate the dream to weirwoods and the old gods. 

7 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

It's nothing more than the reference to the pale stump. The way the author revealed that suggested that it was for a reason. And the only reason I can think of is to associate the dream to weirwoods and the old gods. 

I can see that... but as in the weirwood stump - if indeed it was a weirwood stump - acting like an antenna or enhancer or whatever, but not a deliberate dream, deliberately sent by Bloodraven. :dunno:

3 hours ago, Widow's Watch said:

I was using hyperbole there. I know that he knows that there is a bastard of Winterfell. He knows Jon as much as the Starks know that Joy Hill exists. They don't care.

Jaime has not decided to reveal the truth of their parentage to Tommen and Myrcella. He's toying with the idea but he's aware of the risks. Get Tommen off the IT and he might live and have a dad at Casterly Rock. Cersei, of course, will never give up her grasp on the IT, her hunger for power will kill Tommen and Myrcella.

He has reached a decision:

He thought of Myrcella. I will need to tell her too. The Dornishmen might not like that. Doran Martell had betrothed her to his son in the belief that she was Robert’s blood.

He doesn't really care whether she wants to know, nor does he care about what this might do to her betrothal and future.

Jaime also doesn't have a chance to be 'the dad' of those abominations. He has no claim to the Rock anymore, and the Lannisters won't look kindly on this 'Kingsguard' of a king he destroyed, destroying the Lannister's claim to royal power with him.

It isn't just Cersei who profited from Tywin's ambitions. It was the entire house. And Jaime is planning to ruin all that.

I don't think this issue will rise because Tommen and Myrcella will be dead before Jaime has any chance to do anything for them or about them. Except have massive regrets and guilts again. There is no happy ending for Ser Jaime Lannister. Dying sort of heroically is probably best he can get, and he might not even get that.

He could get that, but what makes you believe Jaime cares about any of his children? He didn't feel any regret over Joffrey, none at all. The boy was a stranger to him, and Tommen and Myrcella aren't different. The man didn't even properly mourn his own father. He is not pleased that Tyrion killed his father, but he doesn't feel any real grief over the man's death, he just pretends. Still, he feels more for his father than Joffrey.

In fact, he is a self-involved ass whenever his children come up. He complains to Cersei that he couldn't be their father, that she didn't allow him to be there for them, but he was still their uncle, the twin-brother of their mother. He could have been a proper uncle to them - and then he would have some emotional connection with them. But, no, he has to complain that he couldn't be their father. He fathered three bastards on Cersei. It was his decision that he be the father of Cersei's children instead of Robert. How stupid do you have to be when you don't realize that you can't do that and then treat children that cannot possibly be yours as your own children?

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

It's Brienne's light that will keep him safe, not Cersei's. 

That is what he believes after the dream. It is what he is supposed to think so that he goes back to save her. This dream isn't about Jaime, it is about Brienne. Bloodraven doesn't care about Jaime - he cares about Brienne. She is a real hero.

But in the end Jaime is overwhelmed by the shadows. Brienne either cannot or isn't going to save him. He hopes she will do that, but there is no reason to believe that she will. Assuming there is going to be anything she would have to save him from. I mean, Rhaegar and the other guys are not coming back. And there isn't anything 'evil' down in the Rock, either.

On 2 mars 2018 at 4:39 PM, talvikorppi said:

In the original draft, Tyrion was supposed to burn Winterfell before having a change of heart and becoming a member of team Stark. GRRM said he was just making stuff up in that draft so it could mean nothing, but maybe another character will take up that role. Theon might be the most likely candidate, but I could also see Jaime going in that direction.

Archived