US Politics: The Ides of Mueller

Paladin of Ice

13 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Not sure how that's really micromanaging. 

The temp AG could tell Mueller to slash his budget and narrow what he's allowed to look into. So far Rosenstein has given him a very long leash. A different AG wouldn't have to.

Random question. When the investigation is concluded, is it Mueller or Rosenstein that makes the formal recommendations to Congress? 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

The temp AG could tell Mueller to slash his budget and narrow what he's allowed to look into. So far Rosenstein has given him a very long leash. A different AG wouldn't have to.

Random question. When the investigation is concluded, is it Mueller or Rosenstein that makes the formal recommendations to Congress? 

Rosenstein

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think Congressional Republicans, especially in the Senate, would revolt if he straight up fires Muller.

I think the reaction of GOP members will be the same no matter the method used to quash the Mueller investigation.  I'm not sure what that is (other then again I'm confidant Flake/Collins/Corker/McCain would block any nominee and/or "revolt"), but members of Congress aren't actually that stupid.  If they want to rationalize Trump killing the investigation, they will do so no matter how he goes about it.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've already been over what Mueller's reaction to this would be.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Jace is right.

14 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Rosenstein

Dankeschön!

13 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

I think the reaction of GOP members will be the same no matter the method used to quash the Mueller investigation.  I'm not sure what that is (other then again I'm confidant Flake/Collins/Corker/McCain would block any nominee and/or "revolt"), but members of Congress aren't actually that stupid.  If they want to rationalize Trump killing the investigation, they will do so no matter how he goes about it.

I agree that they'd block a new nominee, but that doesn't matter if Trump installs a cabinet member. And they aren't that stupid. The question is are they that partisan? 

14 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

I've already been over what Mueller's reaction to this would be.

I'm not as confident as your are in this case, but you never know. 

But back to the original question, I wonder what happens if Rosenstein's replacement destroys evidence and tells Congress a different story than what Mueller's investigation fond. It's not out of the realm of possibility. 

15 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Jace is right.

Dangerous words to utter into existence. 

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And they aren't that stupid. The question is are they that partisan? 

Yep, that's the question.  But the answer is the same no matter how Trump kills the investigation.  The alternative argument you all are proposing seems to assume using the 98 Vacancies Act will result in some type of Jedi mind trick on the GOP Congress, or at least their constituents.  Now, their constituents do tend to be the stupidest constituents, but again, if they're fooled by such a gambit they'll be fooled by any rationalization even if it's why the Mueller-witch needed to be burned at the stake.

Another thing I think should be considered:  it's time to credit that Rosenstein does believe in the integrity of the investigation and would also almost certainly resign in protest if there are machinations to kill the investigation.  So, even in this temporary-AG hypothetical, that's another domino to make it resemble the Saturday Night Massacre.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The Jace is becoming even more similar with The Donald. Methinks someone is getting trapped in her method acting.  

A select number of people understood the word's meaning and that's what's important.

Just now, dmc515 said:

Yep, that's the question.  But the answer is the same no matter how Trump kills the investigation.  The alternative argument you all are proposing seems to assume using the 98 Vacancies Act will result in some type of Jedi mind trick on the GOP Congress, or at least their constituents.  Now, their constituents do tend to be the stupidest constituents, but again, if they're fooled by such a gambit they'll be fooled by any rationalization even if it's why the Mueller-witch needed to be burned at the stake.

Another thing I think should be considered:  it's time to credit that Rosenstein does believe in the integrity of the investigation and would also almost certainly resign in protest if there are machinations to kill the investigation.  So, even in this temporary-AG hypothetical, that's another domino to make it resemble the Saturday Night Massacre.

If Sessions was replaced wouldn't the incoming AG not be recused and therefore would assume full control?

1 minute ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

If Sessions was replaced wouldn't the incoming AG not be recused and therefore would assume full control?

Yes.  Did I give the impression that that wasn't the case?

Trumps favorite president is The genocidal Andrew Jackson, who famously had his “kitchen cabinet” after a “scandal” anyone think trump is going to revive the concept?

if Pence pulls a Calhoun, that sets up the new sec state to be the next running mate, eh?

7 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

I think has less to do with being fooled and more to do with indifference. Most Republicans, so far, have offered little more than empty words. It would be interesting to see what happens if Mueller gets fired, though I hope we never have to find out. 

Yup. The only bad action he has taken was the initial letter, which seems to be really out of character for him. Every report I heard about him when he was put in office is that he has a pristine legal record. 

11 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

A select number of people understood the word's meaning and that's what's important.

All you need now is the bad comb over and a frumpy suit and your transformation will be all but complete.

God help us all! 

Woodhouse, a longtime Democratic Party activist, said the FEC inquiry is a significant step in getting to the bottom of a very complicated series of relationships between the NRA, the Trump campaign and Russian entities.

“This story sounds more like a Tom Clancy novel than a reality,” said Woodhouse. “But in the age of Donald Trump and possible collusion with Russia, not only is it possible that it’s true, but it’s possible enough that it needs to be fully investigated.”

Woodhouse said the FEC is not empowered to investigate whether Russian entities knowingly attempted to pass campaign donations through the NRA and its lobbying arm, which is not required to disclose details of its political donors.

“But it can look at whether or not the NRA is taking illegal foreign money to conduct political activity, and whether is money is passed on to support the campaign,” Woodhouse said. “They would have to investigate all of those linkages to determine whether there was any illegal election activity.”

FEC probes whether NRA got illegal Russian donations
Complaint alleges that the gun-rights group may have received contributions intended to help the 2016 Trump campaign.

#NeverTrumpers such as Eliot A. Cohen, who served in George W. Bush’s State Department, may decry Trump as representing a radical break with the past, the president’s jingoism has more in common with his Republican predecessors than his detractors are typically prepared to acknowledge. This is why Senator Rand Paul, the very incarnation of America First, announced on Wednesday that he will oppose the appointments of Pompeo and Haspel, deploring the fact that the Trump administration is being overrun by what he calls “crazy neocons” who, among other things, championed the Iraq War and torture. In 2014, Pompeo called for ending talks with Iran and launching the equivalent of fire and fury against it in the form of extensive missile strikes, prompting the Los Angeles Times’ Tracy Wilkinson and Brian Bennett to warn Friday that he may be more hawkish than the president.

Trump appears to be embarking upon a restoration of former Vice President Dick Cheney’s hard-line doctrines, which George W. Bush dutifully mouthed. It is no accident that everyone from William Kristol to the Wall Street Journal editorial page is making approving noises about Trump’s new picks:

No, Really, This Is Normal. Did You Forget Bush-Cheney?
Trump’s foreign policy isn’t a break from the past. It’s the return of Republican unilateralism.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/03/16/no-really-this-is-normal-did-you-forget-bush-cheney-217647

Archived