NFL 2018 Draft: On The One Hand...

Jace, Extat

To be clear, I do enjoy football, and pro football is good to watch. But my enjoyment of the thing is not greater than my disgust about how it is made, and so I don't watch any more. 

I figure if I had been a DC fan I would have done this a lot sooner.

3 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I am currently without a team.  The NFL draft is not interesting without a team to root for. 

40 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Same. Broncos would be the natural choice for me and unlike many NFL teams I've never hated them. But just can't will myself to care about a team I didn't grow up rooting for. There's no emotional connection. 

Figure I'll just root for the guys on my fantasy team, the best NFL stories, immense schadenfreude for other NFC East teams and whatever trolls Tywin the most. 

Lamarr Jackson's team.

I guarantee you won't regret it.

59 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

It's my team's moral purity that keeps me coming back...

They are purely evil. It's quite the accomplishment. There's definitely no light side about them. 

2 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

They are purely evil. It's quite the accomplishment. There's definitely no light side about them. 

Imagine if Darth Maul, who is lame but is I guess the most interesting new villain, returned from the abyss to make peace with Obi-Wan just in time for the fight against Anakin. And the moment Obi-Wan seizes the all-important high ground, ending the fight, Maul cuts off Obi-Wan's arms and legs sending her tumbling towards a river of fire where all of her hopes and dreams burn like the pain of the burning.

WHY DOES IT BURN

3 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I still enjoy the NFL, which seems definitely in contrast to Kalbear.  But I am fed up with that loathsome bunch.  I'm hoping to become a fan of some more deserving team this year as a trial run, but thus far my halfhearted attempts to become interested in the Ravens or Panthers have been a failure. 

You can always root for your Tyrannosaurus.

I've said this before, but my enjoyment of sports increased when I stopped being a diehard fan. Without those stakes, you can just enjoy the game and have a beer (or ten). 

3 hours ago, Week said:

Projected! My, oh, my! The fierce paper tiger bares its fibered fangs and cellulose claws -- beware! Don't get it wet!

:P

My GM skills strike fear in your weak heart. And I've still had good results. Year one was meh, but I was new to the format and all my stars were done for the year by week 6. This year my teams made it to the Finals in one league and semi-Finals in the other. And I would have beaten Jace if not for that SOB Gurley.

2 hours ago, Jaime L said:

Same. Broncos would be the natural choice for me and unlike many NFL teams I've never hated them. But just can't will myself to care about a team I didn't grow up rooting for. There's no emotional connection. 

Figure I'll just root for the guys on my fantasy team, the best NFL stories, immense schadenfreude for other NFC East teams and whatever trolls Tywin the most. 

Gotta have priorities, right? What's life without them. 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

You can always root for your Tyrannosaurus.

I've said this before, but my enjoyment of sports increased when I stopped being a diehard fan. Without those stakes, you can just enjoy the game and have a beer (or ten). 

My GM skills strike fear in your weak heart. And I've still had good results. Year one was meh, but I was new to the format and all my stars were done for the year by week 6. This year my teams made it to the Finals in one league and semi-Finals in the other. And I would have beaten Jace if not for that SOB Gurley.

Gotta have priorities, right? What's life without them. 

People kept letting him go for like 15 bucks. Like idiots.

Real idiots too.

Not like the idiots who told me that leaving Westeros C draft without 2 Qb's was dumb, but pretty close.

54 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Barkley or bust.

Bad idea. Barkley is great, but a bad fit for the Giants. The one negative thing I've heard about him is that he gets stop at the line a lot, and your team's line is bad. Plus there are a number of RB prospects this year. You should pray that Browns take Barkley so you can trade that pick for the farm. Otherwise grab the best QB there is to be Eli's successor. Eli is bad right now and there's no guarantee you'll get another shot at a top QB in the near future. Take who you like between Rosen, Darnold and Baker.

1 minute ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

People kept letting him go for like 15 bucks. Like idiots.

Real idiots too.

Not like the idiots who told me that leaving Westeros C draft without 2 Qb's was dumb, but pretty close.

We were purposely on the bad QBs to deny you a second one. Don't auto-draft.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

We were purposely on the bad QBs to deny you a second one. Don't auto-draft.

Oh, I knew. I think it was Mexal (I was very high) who bought one for way more than he was worth that let me know there was no point sticking around.

A few years back he needed a 3rd RB and I fucked him on Jeremy Langford. He was gonna get him for like 12 and I eventually ended up stuck with him at like 19.

He was fucking pissed.

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Bad idea. Barkley is great, but a bad fit for the Giants. The one negative thing I've heard about him is that he gets stop at the line a lot, and your team's line is bad. Plus there are a number of RB prospects this year. You should pray that Browns take Barkley so you can trade that pick for the farm. Otherwise grab the best QB there is to be Eli's successor. Eli is bad right now and there's no guarantee you'll get another shot at a top QB in the near future. Take who you like between Rosen, Darnold and Baker.

Zero chance the Browns take Barkley first overall.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

99% of the time I think that taking a RB this early is loco, especially given our O-line/QB situation, but I just want that sexy pick this year. Darnold seems to be the Giants top QB choice and I think he’s gonna absolutely suck so I’d rather just take the “best player in the draft” and deal with the QB situation some other way... dumb or not.

If they do anything else besides getting Darnold then absolutely I’m cool with it... but what the hell do any of us really know? I’m basing my opinion on about 3 games I saw Darnold play last year, and the same combine stuff we all read that usually ends up being wrong anyways. 

2 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Come on now, they put an end to the Texans' letterman jacket era. That's gotta be worth something.

17 hours ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

Oh, I knew. I think it was Mexal (I was very high) who bought one for way more than he was worth that let me know there was no point sticking around.

A few years back he needed a 3rd RB and I fucked him on Jeremy Langford. He was gonna get him for like 12 and I eventually ended up stuck with him at like 19.

He was fucking pissed.

Sneaky is the one with the heavy head who wears the crown.

17 hours ago, briantw said:

Zero chance the Browns take Barkley first overall.

I wouldn’t say zero chance, but it’s less likely than it was a month ago. Word is that they are now debating between Allen and Baker. After watching Rosen say Baker and Darnold suck, I’d want him even more.

16 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

99% of the time I think that taking a RB this early is loco, especially given our O-line/QB situation, but I just want that sexy pick this year. Darnold seems to be the Giants top QB choice and I think he’s gonna absolutely suck so I’d rather just take the “best player in the draft” and deal with the QB situation some other way... dumb or not.

If they do anything else besides getting Darnold then absolutely I’m cool with it... but what the hell do any of us really know? I’m basing my opinion on about 3 games I saw Darnold play last year, and the same combine stuff we all read that usually ends up being wrong anyways. 

I actually don’t think it’s a bad idea to take a RB super high, but you must have the right situation. Cleveland actually checks most of those boxes, but they won’t take. The Giants, OTOH, are like the worst team to take him for next season. They have so many needs on offense and their defense is in a weird spot. If they keep the pick and don’t go for a QB, they should grab Nelson.

That said, taking the sexy pick is silly. Make the smart move which is dumping the pick to the Bills for their two first rounders and their first rounder next year. The question you have to ask yourself is are they the team from 2016 or 2017. I firmly believe they are the team from 2017, and with an old QB, build for the future. I’m sure they can grab Jackson with one of the Bills picks, and then it’s just about grabbing as many players as possible. Let him sit for a year and then dump Eli for him in 2019.

If I were a GM I would be looking to trade down out of any Top 6 pick until all four of the coveted QBs are gone.  QBs are ridiculously overvalued in the draft, and if you don't need to take a QB, you should take advantage of that as much as possible.  So the Giants taking Barkely at #2 is foolish, they might be able to get him at #5 or even #7.  The dropoff in talent for position players between the #1 rated guy (Chubb/Barkley) and say, the #6 rated position player (someone like Roquan Smith or Quentin Nelson) is really quite small.  So provided you get any sort of value at all, trading back is the way to go.  Hell, even in the middle of the first there are still going to be some really great players available, and if a team like NYG at 2 or CLE at 4 are trading that far back, it will mean a big payoff of additional first/second round picks. 

In conclusion, the only reason they Giants should stay at #2 is if they want one of the qbs.  If that's not the plan, trade back every time.  Even if it means missing out of Barkley, it'll pay off in short order. 

12 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

If I were a GM I would be looking to trade down out of any Top 6 pick until all four of the coveted QBs are gone.  QBs are ridiculously overvalued in the draft, and if you don't need to take a QB, you should take advantage of that as much as possible.  So the Giants taking Barkely at #2 is foolish, they might be able to get him at #5 or even #7.  The dropoff in talent for position players between the #1 rated guy (Chubb/Barkley) and say, the #6 rated position player (someone like Roquan Smith or Quentin Nelson) is really quite small.  So provided you get any sort of value at all, trading back is the way to go.  Hell, even in the middle of the first there are still going to be some really great players available, and if a team like NYG at 2 or CLE at 4 are trading that far back, it will mean a big payoff of additional first/second round picks. 

In conclusion, the only reason they Giants should stay at #2 is if they want one of the qbs.  If that's not the plan, trade back every time.  Even if it means missing out of Barkley, it'll pay off in short order. 

I completely agree. If the Giants don’t trade out and don’t take a QB, they’re complete idiots. That’s why the Colts move was so great. They were never going to take a QB, and clearly were going to take Nelson, Chubb, Barkley or one of the top DBs. They will now likely still have their pick of the bunce plus three second round picks. If they play this right, that means they just acquired four starters who should be impact players.

Archived