MLB 2018: Sho(hei) Me What You Got

Myshkin

Verlander pitches 6 innings while giving up one run and his ERA actually rises. En fuego! His 3 starts against Yankees since joining Astros: 24 IP, 13 hits, 1er, 35 K’s. Ownage.

Also, what’s up with Goldschmidt? Dude is batting .200 this year with a 37% K rate. He’s usually my rock every year in fantasy land. 

Gleyber.  FUCKING.  Torres.

Also, I feel weird typing this, but Romine has been basically the perfect backup catcher so far this season.  Hope Sanchez really does just have "cramps" and he's ready to go Friday.

10 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Gleyber.  FUCKING.  Torres.

Also, I feel weird typing this, but Romine has been basically the perfect backup catcher so far this season.  Hope Sanchez really does just have "cramps" and he's ready to go Friday.

You going to the game on Friday night? I'm pumped about Sunday'smatchup. 

14 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

You going to the game on Friday night? I'm pumped about Sunday'smatchup. 

Nope, I'm in Pittsburgh.  Did invest in mlb.tv this year, and already got more than my money's worth.  And yeah, facing Ohtani on Sunday should be fun.

17 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Right, I knew that. I'm going to be there Sunday. I hope it's good. 

Wait..I'm confused.  Are you saying you'll be at the Yanks game against the Angels on Sunday or here in Pittsburgh with the Cards-Pirates?  If it's the latter, be sure to walk across the bridge they section off for pedestrians.  Great view of the stadium and the city.  PNC park in general is pretty awesome, and there's great bars to your immediate left upon exiting.  If ya got kids, they've always had plenty of entertainment for them in the half-dozen games I've been to there.

1 hour ago, dmc515 said:

Wait..I'm confused.  Are you saying you'll be at the Yanks game against the Angels on Sunday or here in Pittsburgh with the Cards-Pirates?  If it's the latter, be sure to walk across the bridge they section off for pedestrians.  Great view of the stadium and the city.  PNC park in general is pretty awesome, and there's great bars to your immediate left upon exiting.  If ya got kids, they've always had plenty of entertainment for them in the half-dozen games I've been to there.

At Yankee stadium. I haven't made it out to Pittsburgh yet. 

9 hours ago, Triskele said:

So this is partly on topic because it involves a college player that easily could be a future star pro, but he also might not get much of a shot because of a weird situation with a guilty plea to a sexual assault charge from when he's 15.  I know that this came up somewhere on the board last year but I don't think it was in the MLB thread.  At any rate, SI has a long article on the situation now that is fascinating.  

This team has been ranked around #1 in the nation most of the year and so should be in Omaha unless they're upset.  Will be interesting to see how the national media handles it if it gets there.

We need a college baseball thread even if there would only be 4 or 5 of us ever posting in it. 

Gardner just hit his second HR of the the game to tie it up with the Astros.  By my count, that's the seventh Yankee to do so this season - Gardner, Stanton, Didi, Sanchez, Hicks, Torres, and Austin.  Amazingly, Judge is not one of them, although he hit his 15th tonight.

ETA:  And Gleyber with another game winner.  Singled in Andujar who doubled in the tenth - both with two outs.  Baby Bombers!

Clint Frazier is beginning to force the issue, wouldn't be surprised to see some articles to that effect soon.  Hit his 5th homer tonight, and is now slashing .353/.421/.659 for a 1.080 OPS in 21 games at Scranton.  With Hicks struggling and Gardner terrible against lefties, one would think he could get much more playing time than Austin spelling Bird.

7 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Clint Frazier is beginning to force the issue, wouldn't be surprised to see some articles to that effect soon.  Hit his 5th homer tonight, and is now slashing .353/.421/.659 for a 1.080 OPS in 21 games at Scranton.  With Hicks struggling and Gardner terrible against lefties, one would think he could get much more playing time than Austin spelling Bird.

Gardner is starting to come around , I think Hicks is going to be the guy who is shit out of luck.

5 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Gardner is starting to come around , I think Hicks is going to be the guy who is shit out of luck.

Gardner's clearly coming around - his wRC+ is at 107 (about his career average) when it was in the 70s a couple weeks ago - but he still sucks against lefties.  His OPS vs. lefties is .577, was .590 last year, and .644 the year before.  That's an obvious downward trend and he should sit against lefties most of the time.  That's my point - between that and giving Hicks every few days off (which isn't a bad idea even if he was mashing considering his injury history), they could find playing time for Frazier.  Hell, it never works out this way, but I'd be fine with all three playing 2/3s of games.

Yankees take two out of three against the Astros.  Their season series is already over with the Yanks up 5-2.  That should be a confidence boost heading into October.

Archived