MLB 2018: Sho(hei) Me What You Got

Myshkin

32 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Also Drury is getting reps at first now. We might be seeing him back in the Bronx soon.

Maybe, we'll see.  Anyway, having too many good players to make the roster is a good problem to have.  I hope it stays that way throughout the season (and years, decades).

1 hour ago, DMBouazizi said:

Maybe, we'll see.  Anyway, having too many good players to make the roster is a good problem to have.  I hope it stays that way throughout the season (and years, decades).

He's been on base 30+ games, I can see them sending Austin back down if he has options. Drury is doing too good not to bring him back up. It's the only good problem to have.

1 minute ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

He's been on base 30+ games,

Yep.  From my favorite Yanks blog written by Mike Axisa I've cited many times (and stole from countless others) recapping last night's Scranton game:

3B Brandon Drury: 0-3, 1 R — his on-base streak ends at 32 games … that’s the longest on-base streak since the franchise became the RailRiders in 2013

3 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

can see them sending Austin back down if he has options

Totally agree Austin will be sent down rather than Torreyes, but that will be tomorrow when they call up Jonny Lasagna.  I don't see them calling up Drury over Torreyes, or Walker.  He's gotta wait for an injury.

4 minutes ago, DMBouazizi said:

Yep.  From my favorite Yanks blog written by Mike Axisa I've cited many times (and stole from countless others) recapping last night's Scranton game:

Totally agree Austin will be sent down rather than Torreyes, but that will be tomorrow when they call up Jonny Lasagna.  I don't see them calling up Drury over Torreyes, or Walker.  He's gotta wait for an injury.

If that's the case Walker might be out of luck.

1 minute ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

If that's the case Walker might be out of luck.

I dunno, Walker has a much longer track record of being a pretty damn good hitter - and at playing multiple positions (albeit poorly).  Plus he's been great after his horrific start - had a .907 OPS in May.

1 hour ago, DMBouazizi said:

I dunno, Walker has a much longer track record of being a pretty damn good hitter - and at playing multiple positions (albeit poorly).  Plus he's been great after his horrific start - had a .907 OPS in May.

I think Drury plays more positions now,  1st, 2nd, 3rd, and left I think. When I went on Star Wars night he started getting it together.

1 hour ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I think Drury plays more positions now,  1st, 2nd, 3rd, and left I think. When I went on Star Wars night he started getting it together.

His BABIP is .418 and walk rate is almost 3 times his career average -- certainly he's great depth, but I wouldn't expect him to be tearing it up in the majors.

17 hours ago, Vetrani Weekić said:

His BABIP is .418 and walk rate is almost 3 times his career average -- certainly he's great depth, but I wouldn't expect him to be tearing it up in the majors.

Oh, I wouldn't either. By getting him reps at first the Yankees are increasing his trade value too. Barring injury to Andujar I expect him and Billy McKinney too (8 Homers in two weeks) being included in a package for a pitcher.

43 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

What the fuck is with the bottom thirdof the Yankees order tonight? 

No lefties allowed against Snell I guess.  And it almost worked there - Toe walked!

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

Jesus Christ, it's David Price vs Felix Hernandez in Seattle and NESN is making me watch Jerry Remy (bilious old fart color guy) eat a spicy fried grasshopper.

Jerry Remy is the worst.

Weirdly, Don Orsillo is the play-by-play for the Padres now. He is ... far worse than he ever was in Boston. I feel like he has adapted to the market (no baseball tradition other than 2 players (ish)), NL, and TERRIBLE color commentators. He is painfully obnoxious over the minutia that makes the NL great (aka boring and shitty as fuck - get a DH).

Domingo German's stint thus far has been frustrating in terms of runs allowed, but his ability to miss bats has been elite in a small sample.  He has a 15.4% swinging strike percentage, which if he qualified would rank him 2nd among starters - right behind Max Scherzer and just ahead of Chris Sale (DeGrom and Syndergaard are 4th and 5th).  In last night's game, he got 26 whiffs on four different pitches.  The only pitchers to have more in a game this year are James Paxton, Scherzer, and DeGrom.  

This is actually pretty damn promising stuff - and stuff you can't teach - especially for a guy with only 7 career MLB starts.  If can figure out how to have just somewhat decent command, I'm much more excited about his future prospects than I was before he took over for Montgomery.

Pretty great debut for JOHNNY LASAGNA.  Between his size and injury history I don't think he'll last long as a started, but he showed he's got three great pitches tonight.  Could maybe be a really dynamic relief guy long term if he can stay healthy.  Didi's getting hot, and it was great to see Sanchez get off the schneid.

Organizationally, the Yanks had a crazy good night.  Scranton won 14-2.  Frazier homered, McKinney doubled and homered again - NINTH homer in 17 games (!) - and Drury was 4-6 with a double.  Josh Rogers pitched 7 innings of shutout ball with 3 hits, 6 Ks and no walks.  At Trenton, they don't have much for hitting prospects, but Dillon Tate went 6.1 innings with 10 strikeouts and no runs.  And short season started!  The Staten Island Yankees (or Pizza Rats on Saturdays) debuted and last year's second round (which was really a round 1b pick cuz Schmidt was under-slot) pick Matt Sauer pitched 6 no-hit innings with one walk.

1 minute ago, Ramsay B. said:

Boone should’ve let Sevy go for the shutout as he was absolutely cruising late. First sign of trouble and go get him. Any updates on Kahnle and his velocity issues?

My best source is Axisa here, and last time he mentioned velocity Kahnle was reportedly up to 97 on June 11, which I already mentioned - has had two appearances since.

Archived