Westeros divided in 8 kingdoms after Robert's rebellion

BigBoss1

Why didn't anyone think of dismembering westeros after the rebellion? I'm sure the north would have agreed to the idea and Dorne wouldn't be so pissed off as they would retain their lost Independence. The crownlands would be annexed by the stormlands and the riverlands would take the bay of claws. I figured that an united westeros was a Targaryen creation so Robert would feel satisfaction at destroying it. Anyways a Westeros with eight kingdoms would see many more wars than an united one.

1 hour ago, John Suburbs said:

Because you don't risk your life conquering a single kingdom in order to divvy it up to friend and foe alike. The power, riches and influence of being sovereign over all seven kingdoms is much greater the ruling over one.

There were men like Tywin Lannister and Mace Tyrell who, in my opinion, actually wanted what was best for the kingdom rather than just looking after local interest.  They would object to the break up of the kingdom.  I suspect Rickard, Robert, and Jon Arryn were unhappy with the Targaryens.  They plotted to put Robert on the throne.  In the end though, Robert's rule was not much different from the Targaryens and he took the realm to bankruptcy.  

1 hour ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Because Robert likes war, and united westeros provides more wars with bigger scale.

Robert does like war, but didn't get much of it as king. Just the Greyjoy rebellion, which wasn't that large of a scale. If the kingdoms had broken up he could have brought back the old Storm King tradition of fighting their neighboring kingdoms. But since he mostly let Jon Arryn make decisions, that wasn't going to happen.

Economics may have a lot to do with it.  The war took its toll on the treasuries of many houses and many of the noblemen who fought for Robert expected a handout from the state.  

It seems clear that a united Westeros holds disproportionate benefit for the Riverlands and Reach, while far less so for the North, Dorne, the Iron Isles and the Vale. 

Even the comparatively weak Stormlands gain from unification as they are shielded from the erstwhile aggressions of the geographically secure Dornish and the numerically superior Reach. 

As for the Vale, should the realms break up and King’s Landing shrink to a far smaller and less important town as a result, Gulltown would arguably regain some of its importance as a prominent Narrow Sea port. And the Valemen don’t require any of the supposed security provided by the Iron Throne anyway.

So the North, Dorne, Vale and Iron Isles are likely better off ruling themselves. The West can probably go either way, while the Reach, Riverlands and to a lesser extent the Stormlands probably would prefer a united Realm, from a practical perspective. The actual opinions of various lords at the time would of course not have been based purely on practicality, but would have been swayed by sentiment, personal loyalties and even the inertia of preferring the devil they know to the unknown dangers (to them) of the Seven Kingdoms of their ancestors’ time.

9 hours ago, Lee-Sensei said:

Would the Tullys and the Tyrells be accepted as Kings?

The Tyrells definitly would have problems as they have a lot of ambitious vassal houses related to the gardeners. The Tullys could go either way as i don't think there has ever been a united riverlands under a native ruler. 

7 hours ago, JS97 said:

If you can rule the seven kingdoms, why would you be content with less?

Robert isn't really interested in ruling and the decision doesn't fall only on him but on Hoster, Ned and Jon too who all have bigger armies than him .

5 minutes ago, Lee-Sensei said:

Do they? Anyways, army sizes are not everything.

According to the wiki the stormlands are the weakest kingdom. Army sizes may not be everything but the only thing Robert has on his allies it's  his bloodline and he despises Targaryens anyways so i don't see him using that as an advantage.

19 minutes ago, Lee-Sensei said:

Do they?

The Stormlands have a small geographic area and a confirmed low population density. Together that gives you a small comparative population. Dorne’s is even lower, true, as confirmed by Doran himself, but they have significant natural and geographic defenses that makes them far more secure than the Stormlands, despite having a smaller army.

1 hour ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

The Stormlands have a small geographic area and a confirmed low population density. Together that gives you a small comparative population. Dorne’s is even lower, true, as confirmed by Doran himself, but they have significant natural and geographic defenses that makes them far more secure than the Stormlands, despite having a smaller army.

I am aware of that, however the North is far removed from the battlefield, the Riverlands almost surely lost the most troops, because most of the fighting took place there and the Baratheons annexed the Crownlands.

1 hour ago, BigBoss1 said:

According to the wiki the stormlands are the weakest kingdom. Army sizes may not be everything but the only thing Robert has on his allies it's  his bloodline and he despises Targaryens anyways so i don't see him using that as an advantage.

Read the above qoute.

15 hours ago, Agent Orange said:

There were men like Tywin Lannister and Mace Tyrell who, in my opinion, actually wanted what was best for the kingdom rather than just looking after local interest.  They would object to the break up of the kingdom.  I suspect Rickard, Robert, and Jon Arryn were unhappy with the Targaryens.  They plotted to put Robert on the throne.  In the end though, Robert's rule was not much different from the Targaryens and he took the realm to bankruptcy.  

Lol, I agree that Tywin and Mace want to keep it together, but not because it is best for the kingdom. They are both plotting to put their heirs on the Iron Throne or expand their wealth and power in other ways, so what they do is in the best interests for themselves and their houses.

10 hours ago, Lee-Sensei said:

I am aware of that, however the North is far removed from the battlefield, the Riverlands almost surely lost the most troops, because most of the fighting took place there and the Baratheons annexed the Crownlands.

The Northmen are still in the south and so are the armies of the Vale. The Baratheons had not annexed the crownlands yet that happened after the rebellion. I imagine Ned probably wouldn't have the ambition required to demand Independence his brother may have been different had he lived.  I actually think Robert wouldn't have cared enough for an united Westeros and  didn't even want to be king but was coerced by Kon Arryn, lets  presume Robert rejects the crown and declares the iron throne defunct.

3 minutes ago, BigBoss1 said:

The Northmen are still in the south and so are the armies of the Vale. The Baratheons had not annexed the crownlands yet that happened after the rebellion. I imagine Ned probably wouldn't have the ambition required to demand Independence his brother may have been different had he lived.  I actually think Robert wouldn't have cared enough for an united Westeros and  didn't even want to be king but was coerced by Kon Arryn, lets  presume Robert rejects the crown and declares the iron throne defunct.

It happened after they captured Kings Landing. The Norths distance means that the majority of their troops are going to stay behind.

59 minutes ago, Lee-Sensei said:

It happened after they captured Kings Landing. The Norths distance means that the majority of their troops are going to stay behind.

Tywin  took kings landing, not Robert and the second lord that entered kings landing was Ned so as i said the northmen are still there

Archived