NBA Free Agency 2018: Independence day, unless you're in San Antonio

Red Tiger

10 minutes ago, Relic said:

That's pretty funny. However, i think Melo has a bounce back season.

I could maybe see Chris Paul keeping him in check in a way Westbrook never could, but then again, all his comments at the end of the season don't really paint a picture of a guy looking to be a team player and stick in the NBA.  

And this is coming from someone who really thought Melo would be great in that third or fourth banana role like he is on Team USA.  He had his shot this year and it was absolutely miserable.  But maybe Chris Paul will be able to do something Westbrook was unable to.

14 hours ago, Jaime L said:

I'm sure this is some bizarre dig at me though as I'm only conversational, not fluent, in Minnesotan I don't think I get it. 

I wish I could say so, but like Rhom said, it was just a reference to Bridgewater facing the possibility of losing his leg. That’s freaky for a non-contact injury.

10 hours ago, Rhom said:

No... Teddy shredded his knee so badly it tore arteries, doctors thought they might have to amputate.  The trainers on the field are credited with saving his leg.

5 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

I wish I could say so, but like Rhom said, it was just a reference to Bridgewater facing the possibility of losing his leg. That’s freaky for a non-contact injury.

I'll show myself out

:leaving:

8 hours ago, briantw said:

But maybe Chris Paul will be able to do something Westbrook was unable to.

He could always try not passing to Melo. 

22 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I mostly watch it online.  I'll send you a link when I know of a good game coming up.  Worlds was just this past weekend. 

Apparently a friend of mine from high school was on the team (BFG) that won the mix world championship. Small world considering I didn’t even know the league existed.

The Melo-Rockets thing is so bizarre.  Rockets are all about 3s and layups. Melo is like the all time bad 2 point guy in history. Melo and D'Antoni do not get along. Melo doesn't seem remotely inclined to accept the reality of what kind of player he is now. Melo was not good shooting 3s last year, while getting ridiculously good open looks because of George and Westbrook. Melo turns 35 this year, meaning there is zero reason to expect an improvement or return to form.

1 hour ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Apparently a friend of mine from high school was on the team (BFG) that won the mix world championship. Small world considering I didn’t even know the league existed.

Congrats to him/her.  BFG is a good team.

46 minutes ago, sperry said:

The Melo-Rockets thing is so bizarre.  Rockets are all about 3s and layups. Melo is like the all time bad 2 point guy in history. Melo and D'Antoni do not get along. Melo doesn't seem remotely inclined to accept the reality of what kind of player he is now. Melo was not good shooting 3s last year, while getting ridiculously good open looks because of George and Westbrook. Melo turns 35 this year, meaning there is zero reason to expect an improvement or return to form.

I have never been a fan of Melo, as I never like any star player that plays bad defense.  When people talk about "good Melo" at the Olympics, was he playing good defense too?  Or was it just mediocre defense that other teams weren't talented enough to exploit?  Because it seems to me like even if Melo wanted to turn himself into replacement for Trevor Ariza (with better offensive versatility), there's just no way that at 35 he could do it.  He isn't particularly quick on his feet defensively, and the thought of him trying to run through screens to stay with Klay or Steph or Durant is just ridiculous. 

EDIT:  Just the thought of Harden + Melo trying to defend the pick and roll should bring a smile to the face of any Warriors fan.

33 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Congrats to him/her.  BFG is a good team.

I’ll have to take your word on that. I just randomly saw it on Facebook last night and it reminded me of you discussing ultimate. Do people actually make money on it or is it mainly just for fun and they get sponsors to cover their travel costs?   

11 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

I’ll have to take your word on that. I just randomly saw it on Facebook last night and it reminded me of you discussing ultimate. Do people actually make money on it or is it mainly just for fun and they get sponsors to cover their travel costs?   

There is a semi-pro ultimate league, but nobody makes much money from it, at best it's a supplemental income. 

BFG was competing at the World Championship, which is not a pro event.  So nobody there is getting paid anything. 

6 hours ago, Maithanet said:

There is a semi-pro ultimate league, but nobody makes much money from it, at best it's a supplemental income. 

BFG was competing at the World Championship, which is not a pro event.  So nobody there is getting paid anything. 

Interesting to know. Thanks for the info! 

:thumbsup:

I was flipping through channels today and landed on the Big 3 league again... I shit you not, Mahmoud Abdul Raouf was playing on the league leading undefeated team.  :stunned: 

I remember when he played college ball with Shaq and was called Chris Jackson!

Announcer said he was 49.

22 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

The Rockets lock up Capela on a five year, $90m deal. That's really good value, especially if the cap continues to expand. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24212244/houston-rockets-extend-clint-capela

That is a good contract. I'm honestly a bit surprised he signed on for that long at that salary.

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

What specifically would Butler be frustrated about with Towns/Wiggins that they need to “learn”?

They not putting in the work?

3 minutes ago, Rhom said:

What specifically would Butler be frustrated about with Towns/Wiggins that they need to “learn”?

They not putting in the work?

If I were him I'd be frustrated that the team paid Wiggins all the money in the world despite not being good at basketball.

Archived