Sign in to follow this  
Rhom

College Basketball 2018-2019: A star studded season

AND set a school record with 18 assists.

Pay attention, greatness is in Murray, KY; but he won’t be there long.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but the job Kermit Davis has done thus far at Ole Miss is nothing short of remarkable. I knew coming into the season that the team had some talented pieces to work with (Breein Tyree and Terrence Davis, in particular) but I had no idea they would gel into such a well-oiled machine this quickly. The difference on both ends of the court vs. the prior regime is night and day. Under AK, the offense was mostly iso, and/or shoot threes for volume and hope they go in. Defensively we would have our moments, but effort and technique were too inconsistent so too often we'd look lost. 

Kermit has taught this team the value of moving with and without the ball and taking the best shot available. Although we don't have a lot of size, the added ball movement is consistently opening up lanes which allow our backcourt to leverage its athleticism for drives to the basket and open looks. On the defensive side, we're playing smarter and adjusting better as the game goes along. 

My hope for this season was that we could win 17-20 games, play spoiler a time or two and get an NIT bid. Still a long way to go, but the expectations have been elevated to levels I didn't think we'd see for at least a couple more years.

ETA: One more thing - it doesn't hurt my feelings at all that Kermit was passed over twice for the Mississippi State job (he's an alum and his dad coached there for years). Supposedly back when they hired Rick Ray, Kermit was on his way to Starkville for an in-person interview when he got the call and was told not to bother coming. It's rare that your new coach comes in from day one wanting to do everything possible to show up your arch rival.  :smug:

Edited by Ferrum Aeternum

Huh. Can't say I expected that outta Syracuse. 

Makes Buffalo's win there look even better though.

On 1/12/2019 at 4:30 PM, Greywolf2375 said:

I think I need a Xanax.

And now I need to pick my jaw up off the floor.  Didn't see any of the game but I'm surprised they lost in Durham to anyone, much less Cuse.