Cricket 34: Bring Your Own Sandpaper

Paxter

I haven't seen any of Zampa outside of today, he seemed quite ordinary but that's one match so I've clearly not seen enough of him. Just thought Lyon with his prior experience would be the choice against this indian team. 

Zampa's got the experience edge in ODIs (47 to 25) and T20s (115 to 40) over Lyon so I guess the selectors are going with a "horses for courses" policy when it comes to the format of the game.

South Africa with another abysmal start to a match, I see. Although they're being saved by rain at the moment.

3 hours ago, Paxter said:

I think a lot of the obsession with Zampa comes down to him being a leg spinner. Just another team trying to find their version of Rashid Khan.

It does make a change it being Australia who are trying to copy another country's leg spinner after the years England and other teams spent trying to find their own Shane Warne.

23 minutes ago, williamjm said:

It does make a change it being Australia who are trying to copy another country's leg spinner after the years England and other teams spent trying to find their own Shane Warne.

Ha yes the wheel has turned. I think it's taken the Australian cricketing public a long time to accept Lyon just because he's a more unfashionable right-arm orthodox finger spinner. Before him they were favouring left-arm spin (Beer, Doherty, Agar, O'Keefe, Holland) or wrist spinners (McGain, Casson, White, Hogg). The only exceptions that come to mind are Krejza (an attacking offie who lacked control) and Hauritz (who probably should have played less first-class cricket than he did).

Australia were quite unlucky though in having two 'once-in-a-generation' leg spinners playing at the same time. MacGill was an amazing talent and probably would have played 100 tests in another era.

Yes, MacGill would have been a lock for 400+ Test wickets if he hadn't played in the Warne era. He spun the ball more than Warne, but was a little more inconsistent, so people could attack the bad balls.

Given all the failed spinners after Warne in the Australian team (and there were a heck of a lot of them, as seen in @Paxter's post), it's good that we've settled into Lyon as being the Test spinner. He could easily do a good job of the limited overs formats too, but for whatever reason the selectors want to diversify. I guess Zampa is younger and has more limited overs experience, and to their credit the selectors have at least stuck with him reasonably consistently.

It's the common obsession with having the spin option who takes ball away from the right handers (since they have Maxwell as offie). What they don't realise is that having a better quality bowler (Lyon) is better than having an average spinner who takes the ball away from righties (Zampa). Most subcontinental batters are used to significantly better quality leg spin, so Zampa won't trouble them. And against bad spin players, the direction of spin doesn't matter too much and Lyon will still be deadly as he is the better bowler. They need to just pick their best spinner and call it a day.

Ah yes, I forgot that with Maxwell as a part-time offie they wouldn't want a full-time offspinner as well (Lyon). That adds to Zampa's appeal to the selectors.

I'm especially anxious about the weather, as my father and I are travelling to the UK in July for a bit of a holiday (I have my Long Service Leave) and we've picked up tickets to the Australia-South Africa match at Old Trafford. It better not rain for that match!

Playing the Windies and Pakistan so early on in the tournament are real potential banana peels for Australia. It's conceivable that we could have started 1-3 playing Afghanistan, West Indies, India and Pakistan. I'm backing our bowlers against Pakistan's batsmen, although we do suffer from a dropoff in quality after Starc and Cummins. Teams with discipline will be able to see them off and then cash in on the remaining 30 overs.

10 hours ago, lmanion said:

Typical Australia good start but if Smith goes cheaply we have no middle order. After that start it should have been 340+

Yes, the middle order is an issue. We have good openers, and some strong finishers with Maxwell, Carey and the tail, but apart from Smith we need some staying power in the middle to prevent the lower order having to come in too early. Maxwell plays his best when he's only got 10 overs to go in the innings. To be fair, in this match the middle order was probably going for it a bit more than usual given the platform built by the openers.

Another washout, which brings us up to four for the tournament so far. In some ways it’s not a bad thing with a high number of games in this competition likely to lead to some fatigue. But it could skew the final ladder.

Archived