Cricket 34: Bring Your Own Sandpaper

Paxter

56 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Why is Woakes batting at 3 for England? Employing a night watchman in a one day game is certainly thinking outside the box.

He's better than a nightwatchman, really - 10 first class centuries and Test average of 30+.  

8 minutes ago, Jeor said:

He's better than a nightwatchman, really - 10 first class centuries and Test average of 30+.  

I was being slightly facetious, it’s no real surprise that he’s been fine coming in with England only needing about 3 an over. Still, it’s a little odd they promoted him ahead of Stokes and Buttler. It probably suggests they’re not 100% convinced of Buttler’s fitness.

Speaking of which it looks like England have got a bit of a problem with their batting with both Roy and Morgan picking up potentially serious looking injuries. Looks like James Vince might have to play a significant role in this World Cup.

6 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Speaking of which it looks like England have got a bit of a problem with their batting with both Roy and Morgan picking up potentially serious looking injuries. Looks like James Vince might have to play a significant role in this World Cup.

That last sentence isn't going to inspire any England fans with confidence.

The lack of backup if key batsmen get injured could potentially be the biggest challenge to England's World Cup hopes. With Alex Hales ruled out there aren't really that many established batsmen waiting to step in.

Crucial as Roy is to getting the innings started, I think Morgan would be the bigger loss if it turns out to be a longer term thing. This whole ODI side has been knit together under his leadership, and as a batsman he's one of the best middle-order ODI players going around - a bit of a chameleon, can nurdle it around like Root but also hit big sixes towards the end. He's pretty good at assessing the situation and adapting to the need.

Yes, very big blows for England. Morgan is potentially huge - this is his team. 

I'm finding it a little difficult to maintain interest in this tournament so far, between the washouts and quite a few one-sided games. Hopefully India v Pakistan can breathe some life into it? 

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

Yes, very big blows for England. Morgan is potentially huge - this is his team. 

I'm finding it a little difficult to maintain interest in this tournament so far, between the washouts and quite a few one-sided games. Hopefully India v Pakistan can breathe some life into it? 

There haven't been life in that fixture in quite a while. India is just too string these days unfortunately and Pakistan has one of weakest teams in memory (compared to past teams). Lots of talents though, some decent batsmen coming through. Babar and Imam looks like really good prospects. Just need to phase out the oldies after the WC and start the rebuild in earnest (and be patient and give them time).

Pakistan still have that wildcard talent that allows them to beat anyone on their day. Batting and bowling they have great talent.

Unfortunately, the only constant is that their fielding is woeful. Think of how many more wickets someone like Wasim Akram would have taken in his career if Pakistan had ever got their fielding up to even an average standard. As it is, their fielding is such a handicap it seems like the bowlers need to get 11 wickets per innings because at least one sitter is going to be put down each time.

A couple of wickets for Sri Lanka has made this game a little more interesting. But I fear for their spinners if Maxwell is in form. It's a pity Sri Lanka don't seem to have the fast bowling stocks - Vaas and Malinga are pretty much the only top-line bowlers they've had in the past few decades, and this bowling attack doesn't seem to even have the decent reliable support bowlers like Kulasekara or the wayward but pacey Zoysa, Fernando.

Warner 26 from 48 balls, that’s not great again. 

I doubt it’s going to cost Australia against Sri Lanka but their batting lineup is already a little underpowered with both Khawaja and Smith in the middle order. If Warner’s going to continue to bat like that you could see it costing them in the latter stages.

Yeah, Warner is scoring runs generally but his strike rate has plummeted, it's not really what the team needs.

Maxwell with a good cameo of 46 off 25. Along with Jos Buttler, he has to be the most feared hitter in the latter overs of an innings.

This may be nitpicking, as they did score 330+, but there are some issues with the batting lineup, mainly in the middle order. I don't mind Smith, because he can improvise and hit boundaries in the late overs (he upped the ante in this match, scoring at a fairly high rate). However, I don't think there's room for Khawaja and Marsh both in the team if Warner is scoring slowly. The issue is that Marsh has to bat at 5, which is too low - unless there's a top order collapse, he's going to come in late in the innings and he's not the sort who can hit out straight away.

And although the lower order can all handle a bat, Maxwell is pretty much the main determinant of whether we can get to a big total. Carey can do a bit but there isn't anyone else with the raw boundary-hitting power - which was why Coulter-Nile was valuable as a clean hitter in the lower order, but I don't know if he's going to be a sure selection.

Fantastic start to the chase from Sri Lanka. It really is a very achievable total from here, we’ll have to see if Sri Lanka have the quality and confidence to follow through.

And as I’m writing this Australia lose their review.

Yes, there is a real chance Sri Lanka could pull this off if they hold their nerve. The middle over bowling from Australia is a step down from the Cummins/Starc combination, so they've seen off the worst of it and peeled off a lot of runs in the process. This could go down to the wire.

I’m probably a little more bullish than the rest on Australia. I know that India dismantled them with ease and that they should’ve lost to the Windies, but they are peaking at the right time I think. 

Sri Lanka will lose this one comfortably.

Can't say too surprised so far. Pakistan haven't shown up in this fixture for quite a while now. While India have wickets in hand, run rate is isn't too bad, so if they bowl well in death Pakistan might be able to restrict India to a chaseable total.

Rohit being there still is a bit of a worry though.

Kohli giving himself out when he didn't get close to nicking the ball was quite entertaining. :lol:

Other than that not as bad a chase as it looked like Pakistan were going to face after a terrible start but, still, I doubt they'll be able to get 337.

Yes another one-sided game. Incredibly, there are six teams in the competition with only one win after four or five matches. Sri Lanka is sitting in fifth spot with one win from five and a woeful net run rate!

The other surprise to me has been the dominance of sides batting first.

Archived