UK Politics : Groundhog May

williamjm

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

He's done a complete volte-face in less than three months, with no new information. Yet, for us, the electorate, it's been almost three years and shitloads of new information. And it is inconceivable that we might have changed our mind? It's fucking outrageous.

So wait.. you’re criticising him for compromising now? Amazing.

2 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

So wait.. you’re criticising him for compromising now? Amazing.

No. I'm criticizing him for saying he's now going to support a bill that makes us everything he and his ERG mates said we already were. A vassal state.

How can you not see this?

Whatever type of Brexit we have, he is going to make millions and millions. No deal would be his hedge fund's ideal scenario, but if we can't have that, May's deal will still will fuck us, but not as much as No Deal. Therefore, he'll still make millions.

42 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

No. I'm criticizing him for saying he's now going to support a bill that makes us everything he and his ERG mates said we already were. A vassal state.

How can you not see this?

Whatever type of Brexit we have, he is going to make millions and millions. No deal would be his hedge fund's ideal scenario, but if we can't have that, May's deal will still will fuck us, but not as much as No Deal. Therefore, he'll still make millions.

But he’s  not saying that from what I’ve read. He said that he is willing to support the bill if the backstop is time limited or not permanent. That doesn’t really seem to change his stance very much.

The EU would never agree to a time limited back stop anyway which he is well aware.

The potentially permanent nature of the backstop is the issue for him

7 hours ago, Spockydog said:

He's done a complete volte-face in less than three months, with no new information. Yet, for us, the electorate, it's been almost three years and shitloads of new information. And it is inconceivable that we might have changed our mind? It's fucking outrageous.

Has he though?

I find it more laughable that peolpe interpret it as him softening his position, or taking a more reasonable position.

7 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Mr Rees-Mogg told the Financial Times that he was no longer insisting that the contentious “Irish backstop” be scrapped as a condition for his support for Mrs May’s deal and was prepared to consider other legal fixes to ensure it did not become permanent

That is the key bit from the statement. What are those fixes he envisions to be palatable?

A time limit? Not going to happen. A unilateral exit-clause? Also not going to happen.

That's a bit like me saying, I will accept Jesus Christ as the savior in my life, if hell opens in front of my door and Lucifer will be piggybacking on Nelson Mandela through the streets.

Am I softening my atheist stance with that statement?

Anyway, what I wanted say is, he is not really softening his position, he is trying to change the public perception of him being an uncompromising turd, who is just cheering for no-deal.

May is not going to get those changes to the backstop. And neither is Satan gonna piggyback on Nelson Mandela thru streets. And he knows it.

Archived