The Last Fox X-men Thread - no spoilers

The Anti-Targ

4 hours ago, red snow said:

To be honest I'm surprised the character didn't stick around because, like you say, that background gives him the potential to be a "villain"/someone with legitimate reasons to be upset. There were several test subjects died before he survived. I think it was when Marvel were being a lot more adventurous with stories and trying to be relevant whereas they play it safer these days. I guess the falcon is far less controversial in that sense. But a tv show/film about the pre captain america would make an interesting project. 

Isaiah Bradley, the survivor of those experiments, was sorta still around...his grandson became Patriot of the Young Avengers...

33 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Wouldn’t war machine be the first non white avenger in the mcu?

Not sure, when does Rhoddy become an official Avenger? He's Iron Patriot / War Machine from IM 2, but he's not an avenger at that point, and I don't think he's really an Avenger in IM3 either. Perhaps they both become Avengers in the same movie: Age of Ultron?

9 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah I think it’s in the same scene.

Rhodey may, may, have the edge on timing because he was with Fury and the helicarrier at Sokovia, but they were both introduced as part of the new team at the end of the movie, yes.

They both came on at the same time, but Rhodes would have his name in the book ahead of Wilson.  If it’s like my fraternity initiation, Rhodey would have the lower pin number! :lol: 

13 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Wouldn’t war machine be the first non white avenger in the mcu?

I mean... Hulk is green?  Banner isn’t getting in the Avengers on his own. :lol: 

So I watched the latest Dark Phoenix and...

I liked it. Like actually quite a bit. Maybe my expectations were down or something, but I thought it was good. It was certainly better than Apocalypse, had some real fun character beats and fights, and was pretty good.

It also was one of the only xmen movies that seemed to actually care about a fairly broad cast and what they felt and did. 

It wasnt avengers, but it did nail that balance of wanting to do good despite people all hating you. 

I dunno. I'm surprised as anyone. 

I think I'm still going to rent it at home when it becomes available to stream. I feel like I should see the last ever (probably) X-men movie outside of the MCU just for the tradition, but I also feel like contributing as little as legally possible to this move and to Fox in general.

On 6/20/2019 at 11:00 PM, Kalbear said:

So I watched the latest Dark Phoenix and...

I liked it. Like actually quite a bit. Maybe my expectations were down or something, but I thought it was good. It was certainly better than Apocalypse, had some real fun character beats and fights, and was pretty good.

It also was one of the only xmen movies that seemed to actually care about a fairly broad cast and what they felt and did. 

I dunno. I'm surprised as anyone. 

I watched this today, and I think I'd mostly agree with this. I'd probably put it somewhere in the middle of the X-Men films, it falls some way short of the best in the franchise but a significant improvement on the likes of X-Men 3 or Apocalypse. Compared to the previous attempt at the Dark Phoenix storyline I thought this one benefited from actually focusing on that story rather than trying to mix it in with other storylines, it's much more coherent this time round. I thought the weakest element was Jessica Chastain's villain who gets almost no characterisation and Chastain appears bored throughout. I thought Sophie Turner was fine in the lead role, although as per usual it is Fassbender who is the best actor in the cast.

It wasnt avengers, but it did nail that balance of wanting to do good despite people all hating you.

I think it might be suffering a bit by coming out while the memory of Endgame is still fresh in people's minds, because it does feel much less ambitious by comparison. I think Dark Phoenix might have had a better reaction if it had come out a few years ago rather than now.

Archived