Tennis Volume 8: Is a FedEx delivery coming?

Jeor

• 4 months later...

Australian Open observations:

On the positive side, the brat Kyrgios is out. Good riddance.

Sadly, Novak’s injury seems serious so I doubt he will be able to go all the way defending his title this year.

Most disgraceful scene - the low class Australian crowd - again. Happy they were bundled out like the bunch of louts they are, allowing the injured Djokovic to close out the match against Fritz in peace.

Here’s hoping Novak somehow recovers and retains the title, but seems unlikely at this stage.

6 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

On the positive side, the brat Kyrgios is out. Good riddance.

I don't follow tennis consistently closely but has Kyrgios been bratty in a while? He's always gonna be argumentative on court but I don't recall him being abusive of umpires or petty for a while and it feels like he's turned into a far more positive, and less frustrated and frustrating, figure off it the last couple years.

Meanwhile, antivax Novak was moaning about Australia being responsible with Covid rules and demanding that Tennis Australia find someone to give up their house so he can live in it and practice, so who's the brat between the two?

34 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I don't follow tennis consistently closely but has Kyrgios been bratty in a while? He's always gonna be argumentative on court but I don't recall him being abusive of umpires or petty for a while and it feels like he's turned into a far more positive, and less frustrated and frustrating, figure off it the last couple years.

Meanwhile, antivax Novak was moaning about Australia being responsible with Covid rules and demanding that Tennis Australia find someone to give up their house so he can live in it and practice, so who's the brat between the two?

Djokovic - like all the higher seeds - was set up in comfort in Adelaide from the start, allowed to train everyday. His request was not for himself, but on behalf of the lower seeds who were stuck in hotel rooms in Melbourne, unable to train for two weeks before the start of the tournament.

As for Kyrgios. He has latched onto a cause (promoting lockdown) which got him easy popularity with certain sections of the public, when he saw it was paying off for him. His narcissism likes the adulation this earns him.

But rest assured, his general weak character will return to form sooner rather than later. He is not someone to be hero worshipped. 

2 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

As for Kyrgios. He has latched onto a cause which got him easy popularity with certain sections of the public, when he saw it was paying off for him. His narcissism likes the adulation this earns him.

:laugh:

On Djok fair enough on it not being for himself but he's still an anti-vax covidiot.

Looking forward to the matchup between Serena Williams and Simona Halep tonight.

Serena has a 9-2 record against her but you have to think Halep has the edge on a 39 year-old Williams, who she defeated in the Wimbledon final 18 months ago. Then again, the Australian Open is one of Serena's favourite Slams and doing it without a crowd might be one of the better chances she has of equalling Margaret Court's record.

12 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Looking forward to the matchup between Serena Williams and Simona Halep tonight.

Serena has a 9-2 record against her but you have to think Halep has the edge on a 39 year-old Williams, who she defeated in the Wimbledon final 18 months ago. Then again, the Australian Open is one of Serena's favourite Slams and doing it without a crowd might be one of the better chances she has of equalling Margaret Court's record.

Fucking match starts at 2am here....

Well the circumstances combined for an unexpected Serena win. she was in good form and Halep was uncharacteristically off-colour with quite a few errors, especially at key moments. If Serena plays like this she still has a decent chance of winning the title, although I think defeating Osaka and then potentially Barty is going to be a harder ask.

Djokovic takes out Zverev in a tight tussle. I think it's fairly obvious that while Djokovic is certainly suffering from some injury, it's not as bad as it's made out to be. As I think Andy Murray said, if you have an actual abdominal tear, you really can't play properly. He looked good at times against Zverev and I wouldn't count Djoker out, the Australian Open is his baby.

I do wonder if Nadal has slipped under the radar a bit this year, though, with Djoker and the new guard (Thiem/Medvedev/Zverev) being the focus. Nadal might just have No. 21 in him as well.

I don't think Serena is able to defeat Osaka, but we'll see.

What a strange match between Nadal and Tsitsipas. After first two sets it was absolutely one-sided and I was positive it was a job done for Rafa. And then this weird tie-break with such unexpected smash mistakes from Nadal. After that it was a completely different game. It could still go both ways, but Tsitsipas managed to do it somehow. AFAIK it was just second ever match in Nadal's career, which he lost after leading 2 sets to love.

Fuck fuck FUCK!!!

Hate that this fucking tournament happens in the middle of the night here.

1 hour ago, 3CityApache said:

I don't think Serena is able to defeat Osaka, but we'll see.

No, probably not. Osaka is a younger clone of her and for whatever reason, Serena has seemed to self-destruct late in tournaments over the last few years after looking crisp in earlier rounds.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Balls, I'd rather RF retired with most slams, but if not him then Nadal. I cant stand Djokovic, though deep down I think he is probably best of the 3. 

Rafa's A game is the best of the three, but it's also the hardest to reach and least consistent. Joker is the most consistent, and he has a really high floor when he doesn't mentally implode, which doesn't happen much these days. Feds is, IMHO, a distant third to both of them, and there's no chance he's tied for the most slams if he came up at the same time as the other two. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Balls, I'd rather RF retired with most slams, but if not him then Nadal. I cant stand Djokovic, though deep down I think he is probably best of the 3. 

It's no secret that Djokovic is the least liked of the three worldwide, but "I can't stand the guy" sounds a bit extreme. Would you mind elaborating what makes you feel that way, especially if you think he's probably the best out of them.

A disclaimer - I'm not trying to "convert" you or anything, I'm just curious.

I for one hate his usual "oh, I'm so badly injured" play almost every time something goes bad for him on court. His anti-vaccine remarks don't help either. Plus, his style of play is simply least entertaining of the three. Fed is simply an artist, Rafa is a cyborg bending reality. Djoko just returns every ball.

Archived