International Thread 4

Tywin Manderly

Among the many positive developments of Trump losing, is that Bolsonaro is completely screwed, and is showing: he was elected in part because of his strong criticism of the foreign policy in the 13 years of Lula and Dilma Rousseff, which was one of pretty much automatic and complete alignment with Cuba and Venezuela specially, as well as other far left wing governments in Latin America (a critic that wasn't made just by him or the right, mind you- it was pretty much unanimous to anyone that wasn't involved with the government), and promised to have a foreign policy "without ideology".

Of course, what he meant by without ideology was do pretty much what the Workers Party had done, except with a right-wing bent, and one that essentially decided to do whatever Trump said was right. He even chose a Foreign Affairs Minister that wrote, I kid you not, that Trump was the savior of Western civilization.

So, seeing that Trump was losing, Bolsonaro, rather than trying to distance himself, chose to actively try to interfere in the election, suspending tariffs on ethanol to help Trump win Iowa and allowing Pompeo to visit the border with Venezuela to try to get some votes among the Venezuelan and Cuban communities in Florida, not to mention openly saying he hopes Trump wins.

The result of course is that now Brazil has needlessly antagonized the new most powerful man in the world, and has to boot an environmental policy that is disastrous and completely unacceptable to anyone that isn't on the very, very far right, and that makes him the perfect target for Biden to show attitude and energize his base. There will probably be big sanctions coming, which will hurt the Brazilian economy even more.

Add that to the fact that just this week, his son was officially charged with corruption and money laundering charges, and every mayoral candidate he's supporting in this month's elections is on the path of not only losing, but probably not even make to the 2nd round of voting, he has some very rough years ahead.

Armenia, Russia, Azerbaijan sign deal to end Karabakh war

https://www.dw.com/en/armenia-russia-azerbaijan-sign-deal-to-end-karabakh-war/a-55550069

This comes as a bit of surprise for many. I saw my armenian friend over the weekend and she said the Russians were already in Armenia (an helicopter was shot down yesterday and Azerbaijan was quick to apologize). According to news sources Russian troops are already deploying in Nagorno-Karabakh as "peacekeepers". 

The articles I found imply that Armenia had to make concessions as Azerbaijan was "winning" the war. 

3 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

https://www.dw.com/en/armenia-russia-azerbaijan-sign-deal-to-end-karabakh-war/a-55550069

This comes as a bit of surprise for many. I saw my armenian friend over the weekend and she said the Russians were already in Armenia (an helicopter was shot down yesterday and Azerbaijan was quick to apologize). According to news sources Russian troops are already deploying in Nagorno-Karabakh as "peacekeepers". 

The articles I found imply that Armenia had to make concessions as Azerbaijan was "winning" the war. 

Holy crap, we're having a lot of genuinely good news this past days. It feels so weird.

I love it how Polish politicians of the ruling party question the outcome of the elections in USA, I love Duda's malicious, idiotic "congratulations" to Biden and opinions of Russian experts in Polish public tv on how the election was rigged (Ive never thought Id see sth like this, no shit). The frustration of the morons is just palpable. Donald was the only one abroad who "liked" them (anyway he could pretend he liked them for proper gratification). And now he is gone :lmao:Left them with the ideological war he waged as a part of his campaign.

Good thing about the regime of PiS is their utter lack of competence in anything xept for social engineering. Leninism in practice. No need for professional diplomats, a bunch of fanatical oiks will do, and so on

4 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

The only one really winning in this configuration would be Russia

3 hours ago, broken one said:

The only one really winning in this configuration would be Russia

No, the Azeris won this one. The BBC has an article with a map near the bottom. Azerbaijan gets to keep roughly a third of the disputed territory that was previously held by Armenia. There were fairly large riots in the Armenian capital last night.

Russia and Turkey are fighting a lot of proxy wars right now...Syria, Libya, Caucuses. But then at the same time they are doing multi-billion arms deals with each other. Politics nerds help me understand this better?

On the surface level, I don't see it as a wholly bad thing as it helps keep Turkey in the NATO orbit. 

12 hours ago, Paxter said:

Russia and Turkey are fighting a lot of proxy wars right now...Syria, Libya, Caucuses. But then at the same time they are doing multi-billion arms deals with each other. Politics nerds help me understand this better?

If I'm to guess, it may have to do with factions within the Turkish government. I think Erdogan doesn't have such a firm hold of the military establishment as he wants to portray, so he needs to give in to certain things.

At the same time Erdogan wants to get rid of western influence and he is certainly resentful of the western organized failed coup against him. It is rumoured that it was Russian intelligence who warned him.

12 hours ago, Paxter said:

On the surface level, I don't see it as a wholly bad thing as it helps keep Turkey in the NATO orbit. 

Turkey is more important to NATO than most European countries. I actually wonder how western powers will balance their political agenda with long term strategy goals.

15 hours ago, Altherion said:

No, the Azeris won this one. The BBC has an article with a map near the bottom. Azerbaijan gets to keep roughly a third of the disputed territory that was previously held by Armenia. There were fairly large riots in the Armenian capital last night.

Azerbaijan gets to keep the territory it de facto controlled when the agreement was signed. The rest of Arcach will be controlled by Russians. Azers wont administer it, anyway the deal does not state anything like that. And when the Russian peacemakers administer some territory they will continue as long as Russia can afford their soldier's pay :)

Russia reached its all goals - established itself as mighty "neutral arbiter" in the region strenghten its control over it (at cost of some concessions to Turkey). Armenia becomes much more dependant on Russia. Armenian efforts to get closer to the West turned out to be futile.

Turkey gets  control of Azerbaijan, the latter becomes de facto a vassal. Alijew may be replaced by somebody more loyal to Ankara (and probably more competent) Southern Caucasus becomes region where Turkey and Russia make deals and share influence, keeping other players away (the West - another loser in the conflict).

It is said the informations on Azeris' military successes in the last phase of the conflict were fake, spread to evoke panic in Arcach (the disinformation caused chaotic evacuation in some parts of the land) and to justify Russian stepping in. Russian troops were getting there just after Putin and Erdogan agreed about it and before the Armenians and the Azeris even knew that soon they will make peace :)

On 11/10/2020 at 10:59 PM, rotting sea cow said:

21 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Holy crap, we're having a lot of genuinely good news this past days. It feels so weird.

Notes peacekeepers written in quotes...

...wonders exactly how "good" this news will turn out to be.

17 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Notes peacekeepers written in quotes...

...wonders exactly how "good" this news will turn out to be.

The hatred between armenians and azeris runs deep in their veins. There are horror stories from the time of the Russian revolution. A protracted conflict may cause another humanitarian catastrophe and a larger regional war.

It is probable less than an ideal solution, but better than alternatives.

25 minutes ago, rotting sea cow said:

The hatred between armenians and azeris runs deep in their veins. There are horror stories from the time of the Russian revolution. A protracted conflict may cause another humanitarian catastrophe and a larger regional war.

It is probable less than an ideal solution, but better than alternatives.

Sounds like it may only end up being an hiatus. Bad blood doesn't go away just because some big tough dudes come in and pull you apart. When it's no longer int Russia and Turkey's interests to keep them from fighting it'll all be back on. They actually have to choose kiss and make up themselves.

51 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

What're the big issues occupying people's minds in this one?

Just that it's the most poverty stricken, crime rate high (esp against women), corrupt, environmentally depleted, low literacy rate, and fucked up state in the largest democracy of the world, India. No offence, just pity. 

7 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Just that it's the most poverty stricken, crime rate high (esp against women), corrupt, environmentally depleted, low literacy rate, and fucked up state in the largest democracy of the world, India. No offence, just pity. 

So there's only one big issue. Is there any chance of a state govt being elected that can do anything to effect changes to improve any of these things?

Peace isn't exactly off to a good start, at least not in Armenia

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/11/nikol-is-a-traitor-armenia-pm-refuses-to-yield-to-opposition-after-nagorno-karabakh-deal

'Nikol is a traitor': Armenia PM refuses to yield to opposition after Nagorno-Karabakh deal

10 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So there's only one big issue. Is there any chance of a state govt being elected that can do anything to effect changes to improve any of these things?

Sadly, no. Just two state parties with dynastic politics continuing to screw the state. One is allied with a religiously fanatic national party and has nearly won the majority. Other is corrupt beyond salvation and its patriarch (ex CM) is in prison for a scam or five. After the other party came to power in the last two elections of course. The national party the patriarch's family has allied with is facing its worst record since its inception in 1885. Corrupt too. But I'll take that over religious bigotry and fanatic intolerance anytime. Poor Bihar, to choose the best turd. Smfh

And Diwali is just round the corner. The Hindu festival of lights celebrates victory of light over darkness. Read Righteous over Evil. But not just Hindus celebrate this. Most Indians do. Christians, Muslims, Sikhs, Jains, all. Because it has deviated from its symbolic purpose of driving out darkness/evil with light/illumination/Righteousness using lamps (Deepan =lamp, oli =light) to polluting the atmosphere with crackers and fireworks. Already New Delhi's air quality is shitty. Smog and all. Smfh again. 

4 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Sadly, no. Just two state parties with dynastic politics continuing to screw the state. One is allied with a religiously fanatic national party and has nearly won the majority. Other is corrupt beyond salvation and its patriarch (ex CM) is in prison for a scam or five. After the other party came to power in the last two elections of course. The national party the patriarch's family has allied with is facing its worst record since its inception in 1885. Corrupt too. But I'll take that over religious bigotry and fanatic intolerance anytime. Poor Bihar, to choose the best turd. Smfh

I can't really disagree, particularly if it's equal opportunity corruption and is predictable and consistent. Baksheesh isn't a great way of getting business done, but you know where you stand at least. I feel like I need to take a shower just writing that. I must also count my blessings for living in a country that is entirely religiously tolerant in law and in govt administration (individually it's a different matter), and the least corrupt country on the planet.

Archived