Rugby: A New Dawn

ljkeane

On 7/10/2021 at 5:06 AM, ithanos said:

I only watched the extended highlights of that Eng vs USA 4th of July game, but I can already see the impact the USMLR (of which I've been watching quite a bit of highlights from this season) is beginning to have.

I think you can see elements of improvements for both the US and Canada, the American pack held up quite well against England and Canada looked good ball in hand. They both struggled when England upped the tempo though, England running out of outside backs helped the US a bit I think. Still, give it a few more years of professional rugby under their belts and hopefully they'll really kick on.

Not a great day yesterday for the Lions. A side containing a lot of players who were well in the running for test starts really struggled with the Sharks until Hendrikse got himself sent off. A tougher game isn't a bad thing but loose defence like that isn't going to cut it against the Springboks.

On top of that they called up Marcus Smith while he was out on the pitch at Twickenham as cover for Finn Russell who's apparently carrying an injury. The fact that they felt the need to do it before even speaking to Smith doesn't seem like a great sign for Russell's continued participation in the tour.

Well, I see the USA got a reality check from Ireland in speed of play. I forget how many overseas players are playing in the USMLR so it could still be a few seasons before their talent pool fills out. They just need the right coaches to make use of that pool.

Time to start checking out how The B&I Lions and South Africa are doing with their warm up games.

Cracking game this morning between Australia and France. Woki and Taofifenua were excellent for France. I haven't seen much Australian rugby over the last couple of years but I'm not too convinced by Lolesio at 10 for the Wallabies. Good to see such a tight series going to the last game.

On 7/12/2021 at 11:27 AM, ithanos said:

Time to start checking out how The B&I Lions and South Africa are doing with their warm up games.

After losing one of their warm up games against Georgia and having to miss so much training with isolation it looks like South Africa have decided to treat the South Africa A game against the Lions tomorrow as an unofficial warm up game. I reckon that's at least half the Springbok side that'll start the first test playing. It should be interesting.

Yeah good game between Aus & France. Didn't know that it was France's first win on Australian soil for 31years! Beware the French, especially when the game is scheduled on or near Bastille Day,

On Lolesio, he's a centre primarily, but as he's only 21yrs old I wouldn't be surprised if Rennie persists with him at 10 for more games to see if his can develop a fine mettle for the position at this level.

24 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Great win for the Wallabies especially after having to play 75 minutes with a man down.

Yeah, good win and another good game. Really good series overall.

I quite like the look of McDermott for the Wallabies, he seems to be a real live wire. He probably needs to learn to adjust his tempo on occasion rather that trying to play at 100 miles an hour every time (not just letting the forwards try and score 6 inches from the try line at the end of the first half leaps to mind) but there seems to be some real potential there.

I felt a bit sorry for Koroibete with the red card, I doubt there was any malice in it at all, but I don't think there's any doubt it's a red.

57 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I felt a bit sorry for Koroibete with the red card, I doubt there was any malice in it at all, but I don't think there's any doubt it's a red.

heh, you've obviously not seen any Aussies or Kiwis talking about it then...

Good game between Australia and France. A surprisingly good series. The Wallabies steeled themselves from that Koroibete send off and that was a great 14 man effort to pull off the win. I'm liking Lolesio at 1st five more and more and they have the makings of a competitive halves-centre set of players. The lineups from both teams includes a number of players who came up through the U20s of 2018 & 2019, the likes of Lolesio and Woki. It's scary how France will reap the benefits of that emerging talent right at the next World Cup in 2 years!

I watched the B&I Lions vs SA A game from the week before and SA needed that to get a number of their players game time - but they did look good. In light of all the troubles SA, outside of rugby, is dealing with, I hope this is a cracker series to give the local supporters some cheer. 

So the Lions warm up game are done. The first 20 against the South Africa A side was particularly concerning with the Lions pack getting blown off their own ball but, to be fair, it did improve from there. Still, I feel like the Lions are going to have to move the Springbok defence around if they're going to have any chance because it doesn't look like they're going to be able to overpower them up the middle. Having said that the fact that there's no real stand out options from 8-13 isn't very encouraging.

Anyway my guess for what the Lions side will be for the first test:

1. Sutherland. Wyn Jones was good against South Africa A but Sutherland probably offers a bit more around the park and Mako Vunipola, while excellent in the loose, is a bit of a concern in the scrum so I think it'll be Sutherland.

2. Cowan-Dickie. I was going to say George starting with Cowan-Dickie coming off the bench up until yesterday's game due to George's experience and set piece excellence but Cowan-Dickie has been really good in the lineout and I don't see how you can ignore his physicality and breakdown work at this point.

3. Furlong. He hasn't actually had a brilliant tour but he's the standout Northern Hemisphere tighthead so he'll play. Sinckler's probably won the bench spot.

4. Alun Wyn Jones. I think there's a decent chance his shoulder's coming out five minutes into the game but I can't see them not picking him after the dramatic return to the tour.

5. Itoje. He was always going to play but a good game on Wednesday just cemented that.

6. Beirne. They seem to be inclined to play a big blindside/second row hybrid at six considering they've been playing Beirne and Lawes there and I think that's understandable to try and stand up to the South African pack. Beirne's probably the front runner.

7. Curry. Really harsh on Watson who's been the form openside over the last year or so and is a great player but Tom Curry is probably the best openside in world rugby for me and he was the best Lions player against the majority of the likely Springbok side on Wednesday . I think he has to play.

8. Faletau. This is a big problem position for me. Faletau has the quality but he really hasn't been great. Conan's been decent but his ceiling's probably a bit low, it's hard to see him being more that ok. Simmonds is an interesting one given they've picked him out of club rugby so they must see something they like but I don't think he's shown enough to win a starting spot. I think with the lack of a stand out player they'll go with Faletau's experience.

9. Murray. Another problem position, actually a big problem. Murray and Davies have both been poor and Price has been decent but he's not the most reliable. I'd go with Price out of the options available but I think they'll go with Murray given they had him as tour captain while Jones was out.

10. Biggar. Not the most inspiring but he's probably the best option

11. Adams. Van Der Merwe's been good but I think lining him up against Kolbe would be a problem.

12. Henshaw. I think Gatland might be tempted to with Aki's physicality but they really need to get the ball to the squad's real strength, the back three, and I think they'll need Henshaw's distribution.

13. Daly. Harris has also been decent and is the more solid option but, again, I think they need to get the ball wide and Daly's better on that front. The fact they've played him so much at 13 suggests they're leaning that way to me.

14. Watson. There aren't really any bad options in the back three but Watson's probably the most well balanced so I think he'll play.

15. Hogg. It could easily be Williams but I think Hogg offers just that bit more countering threat and I think they'll need it with the Springbok defence being so good.

In more depressing news it seems the Georgian coach is in hospital in South Africa with covid. Hopefully he'll be ok but it doesn't sound great with him being on a respirator.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12321/12358792/georgia-coach-on-ventilator-with-covid-19-in-south-africa

Georgia coach on ventilator with Covid-19 in South Africa

South Africa’s second Test match against Georgia in Johannesburg on Friday was cancelled because of Covid-19 infections in both camps.

The Georgia Rugby Union says its national team coach has serious lung damage from Covid-19 and has been put on a ventilator in hospital in South Africa.

Levan Maisashvili was one of six members of the Georgian touring party to test positive for the virus after playing against South Africa on July 2 in Pretoria as part of a series organised to help the world champion Springboks prepare for the British and Irish Lions tour.

article continues...

The South Africa team for the first test had been named. It's looks like all their players who were missing due to covid isolation are now available so Kolisi's available to lead the side. The one selection that leaps out to me is Nyakane starting, he's the weakest of the tightheads in their squad for me so I think the Lions will be pretty pleased with that with the scrum shaping up to be a concern. Although Malherbe coming off the bench will have to be taken into account.

The Lions team has been announced now. I'm a little surprised Gatland's gone with Price ahead of Murray but I think it's the right call. The other surprise is no George or Vunipola on the bench. Vunipola might be due to Malherbe coming off the bench for the Springboks but I'm not sure about Owens ahead of George.

The other news is that all 3 games are going to be played in Cape Town instead of going back to Johannesburg.

Wyn Jones has had to drop out with a shoulder injury so Sutherland starts and Vunipola comes onto the bench. Normally I'd think that was pretty straight forward, the bench prop into the starting side and third loosehead coming in on the bench, but South Africa have got their strongest scrummagers on the bench so I think I'd have been tempted to bring Vunipola in to start against Nyakane and left Sutherland to face Malherbe later on in the game.

In rugby league news Australia and New Zealand have pulled out of the World Cup due to be played later in the year which is a massive blow to it's chances of going ahead.

On the face of it you can understand their concerns about player welfare but it's hard to see what's different about rugby league compared to all the other sports that are going ahead with bubbles and vaccinated players/athletes. It then later emerged that the players association didn't support pulling out at this stage and Australia and New Zealand had only told the tournament organisers 4 minutes before they made the announcement. It's really looking more and more that this is down to the concerns of NRL clubs about their players having to miss some of preseason due to Australian isolation requirements rather than concerns about player welfare, which really isn't a great look.

Wow, great win for the Lions. I thought it was over 9 points down at half time.

It pretty much went the opposite of the way it supposed to too with Lions winning it by keeping it tight and taking advantage of South African mistakes under the high ball. Fair play to him too, Vunipola came on and was fantastic in the scrum. Itoje man of the match for me with Lawes giving him a run for his money.

Having said all that Watson was very lucky not to pick up at least a yellow for his tip tackle on Le Roux and the second disallowed South African try was the right call but it was really lucky for the Lions who'd done all they could to hand the Springboks back the lead.

Both sides will think they've got a lot they could improve on. It should be a cracking second test.

Deserved MotM award for Maro Itoje. SA will have to come out blazing in the 2nd test. They would've rued the small errors that cost them. Haven't looked up where the next game is being played at, but hopefully it won't be at the same ground (which is a multi-purpose ground, hence the poor field traction for rugby).    

56 minutes ago, ithanos said:

Deserved MotM award for Maro Itoje. SA will have to come out blazing in the 2nd test. They would've rued the small errors that cost them. Haven't looked up where the next game is being played at, but hopefully it won't be at the same ground (which is a multi-purpose ground, hence the poor field traction for rugby).    

I think they're all at the same ground. 

So the teams for Saturday have been announced.

Three changes for the Lions; Vunipola for Sutherland, Harris for Daly and Murray for Price. I think Vunipola in is pretty straightforward, if he's going to be a solid in the scrum as his last two outings he's the best loosehead the Lions have. Daly missing out is no real surprise. I don't think he actually had as bad a game as it looked on first viewing, he didn't do anything in attack but he literally never got the ball when he wasn't about to get smashed by the South African defence so it wasn't entirely his fault. Still, if the Lions aren't going to create any space in attack Harris is the better defender. Price missing out is the real shock. After having won the shirt I though he was good in the first test.

South Africa bring Malherbe in for Nyakane and Wiese in for Kwagga Smith. No real surprises there I think.

The most notable thing about this week's build up to the second test is Rassie Erasmus going off the deep end a bit about the officiating. Earlier in the week he retweeted a post from a barely used account that seems likely to be his own burner account criticising some of the refereeing decisions in the first test. He's now followed that up by releasing and hour long video monologue piling into the officials again.