How much time do you think TWOW will span.

Jekse

So, 
On average, the books cover about six months each, aGoT covers the most with a year. 
I really feel like twow will span about 6-12 months. With the first half of the book which is covering all the majour battles being very short time-wise and the 2nd half of the book featuring large time jumps. 
What do you think? 

My guess is about two years. While the story lines are supposed to start converging, consolidating POVs, Daeny still has a long way to travel to get to Westeros. I do expect some time jumps for certain characters. Or at least notifications to the reader that character x is taking for fucking ever to get to where they need to be... 

Battles and immediate aftermath should take about a third of a ADWD sized book. Then is indeed possible we see the consequences of the said battles on a longer time span.

How far in time should depend on how long the book is and in particular whether Dany has set sail to Westeros before the end of the book. Because her bulldozing through Essos will not take less than six months and possibly more.

Roughly speaking, AGoT covered almost 2 years, ACoK covered 9 months, ASoS covered 5 months, ADwD and AFfC covered the same 6 months with an extra few months passing in ADwD because it had space left. Starting with ACoK and especially ASoS, momentum dominates the story and things happen one after another in a very quick succession. I guess all the high fantasies suffer from this problem. The domination of the momentum was the reason why GRRM first needed to create a 5 year gap and then failed to do it.

TWoW will feature all the POVs in a limited page space, suggesting a period of 6 months at the best case scenario. This is a serious problem. To understand the gravity of the situation, remember that it took about 6 months for Drogo’s khalassar to travel from Pentos to Vaes Dothrak after the wedding of Drogo and Dany.

By the way, the story times mentioned above are rough estimates. When you delve into the details, you will see that different parts of the story are not synched in time. For example, if we take the Epilogue of ADwD as the “present time”, the last we heard from Jaime/Brienne was more than a month ago, meaning that they have a month of story to tell from the previous volume. On the other hand, the POVs in the North and in Slaver’s Bay are ahead of the Epilogue of ADwD by a month or two. That means there are 2-3 months of disparity in time among some threads left to TWoW. This complicates the process even further.

Last but not the least, there is always the need to make dramatic sense while playing around this overly complex mess of knots.

I would suggest thinking about the ramifications of 6 months of story time with each POV getting an average of 4 chapters in TWoW. 

There is an SSM wherein GRRM says Tyrion and Dany will cross paths and I think he also says Dany may leave for Westeros in TWOW.  Things look to be winding down in Essos and other mediums made short work of it.  I think maybe the best way to try to predict this is with ASOS where so much of the story and characters actually get busy doing what they are supposed to do.  AFFC & ADWD seem to follow more of AGOT and ACOK line of story telling, what's happening with every one and how they get to where both books ended with ASOS taking up the progression of stories and characters.   For all the time Martin has spent working and reworking TWOW, I am hoping for a year of action that actually promotes the end game.  There is only supposed to be one book left after this penultimate offering.  Things got to happen.  Fast.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2020 at 6:21 PM, Curled Finger said:

There is an SSM wherein GRRM says Tyrion and Dany will cross paths and I think he also says Dany may leave for Westeros in TWOW.  Things look to be winding down in Essos and other mediums made short work of it.  I think maybe the best way to try to predict this is with ASOS where so much of the story and characters actually get busy doing what they are supposed to do.  AFFC & ADWD seem to follow more of AGOT and ACOK line of story telling, what's happening with every one and how they get to where both books ended with ASOS taking up the progression of stories and characters.   For all the time Martin has spent working and reworking TWOW, I am hoping for a year of action that actually promotes the end game.  There is only supposed to be one book left after this penultimate offering.  Things got to happen.  Fast.  

Months ago I said something similar. Storm was so good because it was the pushing over of all the dominos set up in Game and Clash. I think Winds is going to be the same things but from Feast, Dance, and remnants of Game and Clash. Dream is going to ultimately be the end game: The Others. 

14 minutes ago, Lady Rhodes said:

Months ago I said something similar. Storm was so good because it was the pushing over of all the dominos set up in Game and Clash. I think Winds is going to be the same things but from Feast, Dance, and remnants of Game and Clash. Dream is going to ultimately be the end game: The Others. 

You know, that's a pretty good point about the Others.  Makes me wonder what A Dream of Spring will actually cover?  Maybe the Others win at Winterfell and begin world domination?  I reckon a whole bunch of characters will die in the Battle for Dawn.  Can't wait to read end game for the characters who survive.  Without less much going on I anticipate some beautifully written characters and wickedly interesting plots to tie the entire tale up with.  

Archived