Boarders writing a novel

Derfel Cadarn

3 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Could he post an extract at least?

Otherwise, unless he lets the book go for free for a while, I don't see how he can raise awareness and generate interest in a shared world anthology written by unknown authors. :unsure:

Yes, but he needs to publish first, then give it away for free if he wants to. The other way around won't work since it will raise copyright issues.

Edit: Free review copies are fine, but not published here in a public forum where the Amazon/google/etc. bots can crawl it.

Edited by Gigei

My novel qualifies as a novel but only just. A short story is 10 000 words or less. A novella is up to 40 000 words. My book is just shy of 48 000 words although that includes the Author's Note and the glossary so it's probably just shy of 47 000 words. It's still a short book because the average novel from what I found on Google is 50 000 to 60 000 words.

I'm hoping the feedback I get will give me ideas to expand the book. I put a lot of work into this book for months so I want page and word count to show it. It's the most work I've done on a single book.

@Ordos

Just remember that bigger is not always better.

@Lord Patrek

Only "Sun Tiger", "The Hound of Ashmire", "Anathema (Part I)", and the vignettes ("Rumination", "The World Changed While You Slept", "Perspective", "Love & Hate", and "Vanitas") are actually set in the shared world I'm calling "the Mistland Metaverse" (though in hindsight it may have been better to go with "the Mistland Universe"). That being said, "Scotland's Heir" is set in Felix's rendition of King Arthur's Britain, which we hope to continue collaborating on in the future. The rest, of course, are standalones with no ties to a greater setting.

@Ordos, what genre is your book? Even in contemporary fiction, 47k is really far too short for a novel. Not sure where you saw that 50k-60k is average, because even that is quite short. If you're looking for trad pub, probably 70k is bare minimum. If it's a genre book, even higher. If your age category is YA, that reduces things a bit, but 47 is still too short. Of course, these things are just guidelines and not law, but you'd be really stacking the odds against yourself. Here's a good summary.

If you're self publishing, then I don't think it's as much of an issue. :) 

On 10/30/2021 at 12:13 PM, Starkess said:

@Ordos, what genre is your book? Even in contemporary fiction, 47k is really far too short for a novel. Not sure where you saw that 50k-60k is average, because even that is quite short. If you're looking for trad pub, probably 70k is bare minimum. If it's a genre book, even higher. If your age category is YA, that reduces things a bit, but 47 is still too short. Of course, these things are just guidelines and not law, but you'd be really stacking the odds against yourself. Here's a good summary.

If you're self publishing, then I don't think it's as much of an issue. :) 

I am self publishing. I found it on a google search, but the search result have been updated from the looks of it. Still, a novella is 10 000-40 000 words from what I'm looking at. I do hope I can stretch out the narrative just a little bit with the feedback.

The genre? It's a survival adventure story within an alternate history setting and with just a pinch of dystopia (particularly in chapter 4).

There should be a new thread soon...

• 3 weeks later...

As a heads up, the National Library of New Zealand has decided to donate 400,000 books to the Internet Archive for digitalisation. This is causing some understandable concern among authors about copyright infringement:

https://societyofauthors.org/News/News/2021/November/Internet-Archive-a-warning-to-authors

On 11/23/2021 at 6:32 AM, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

Figured out how to insert that space (chapter first paragraph) but the drop caps look bad and in the case of one story ruin the formatting so I'm not sure how to proceed. I did practically everything else (title page, copyright page, etc.).

You could try this: https://reedsy.com/write-a-book

You'll have to create an account, but it's free so it's okay to try, IMO. You upload your file then you can edit it online like Google docs. Then you export the file as an ebook which you can then use on KDP or wherever to self-publish.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

MY BOOK IS NOW AVAILABLE FOR PREORDER!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09N9QL1H7?notRedirectToSDP=1&ref_=dbs_mng_calw_0&storeType=ebooks

Print version forthcoming.

Nice cover

A few questions:

1) Has anyone ever tried Amazon's X-Ray feature?

2) What exactly does "large print" mean when it comes to paperbacks?

3) Does anyone recommend enrolling in KDP Select?

4) Has nominating your eBooks for Kindle Deals and Prime Reading ever been of benefit?

5) Have y'all ever handed out gift copies of eBooks at events or to newsletter subscribers?

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Best of luck! Hope you recoup the money you invested.

Much appreciated! If you end up buying a copy and enjoying it mind posting a review and/or sharing with friends/family/followers?

Also, I'll be posting artwork for the book to my Tumblr blog every two days for the next month or so (as well as my Facebook author account once I make one).

Oh, and you can read the first short story for free by clicking "look inside"!

Edited by The Grey Wolf Strikes Back