American Gods Season 3: Welcome to Lakeside

williamjm

49 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Cancelled.  But Fremantle is negotiating to wrap it up somehow, with an event series or movie.

As I recall the season 3 cliffhanger was pretty close to the end of the book. Wrapping the story up in a movie shouldn't be too much trouble.

The showrunners fumbled this so badly. They got a full 3 seasons and still failed to wrap up a story based on a single novel. Instead the last two seasons especially wasted far, far too much screen time on side characters who held little importance in the book and these new plotlines were overwhelmingly dull as dirt as well. 

53 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

The showrunners fumbled this so badly. They got a full 3 seasons and still failed to wrap up a story based on a single novel. Instead the last two seasons especially wasted far, far too much screen time on side characters who held little importance in the book and these new plotlines were overwhelmingly dull as dirt as well. 

Wasn't there a different showrunner for each season? it certainly looked that way.

S1 was brilliant

S2 was okay

S3 was a mess, completely contradicting the previous seasons, and often itself - not to mention completely failing to read anything beyond a primary school book about the mythology it's based on.
Why TF did they need younger actors to play Odin, Tyr and Demeter from 200 years ago, but not for Bilquis or Ibis going back millenia? On that, who the hell is Bilquis supposed to be this year? Some random water-deity? So media changes face when she re-imagines herself for social media; but technoboy doesn't, despite re-imagining himself every decade or so? And yet, technoboy goes through a much bigger re-imaging, so that he forgets his previous self (despite having a whole library of old-tech that he's clearly attached to) Why the sudden desire for Mr World to try out different faces for no apparent reason?

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

Wasn't there a different showrunner for each season? it certainly looked that way.

I think each season did have a different showrunner. In any case, the network should have made it clear that the show needs to be wrapped up in three seasons. That was more than enough time to get it done. Instead we ended up with a hot mess of pointless tangents that was painfully boring most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 10:04 AM, Consigliere said:

I finished watching the third season a couple of days ago and I agree that it feels they could have wrapped up everything in three seasons if they had wanted to. Overall it might have been an improvement on the second season but still had some of the same issue. I thought the Lakeview plotline was done fairly well and the finale of the season was also effective. However, the sub-plots were very variable, I did think the Demeter plotline gave Wednesday some character development but the plotline with Tyr was dull and didn't really add anything to the story.

Overall I don't regret watching the series because there were some great moments along the way, it was always very imaginative in terms of the visuals and it had a good cast. However, it was all a bit of mess overall in terms of the long-term plotting.

If this is the end of the series then it must be a very frustrating place for the show to stop for people who haven't read the book. It doesn't really bother me to much since I already know how things get resolved but that is quite a bit cliffhanger to end on.

Archived