Time and Causality

LynnS

21 minutes ago, Wizz-The-Smith said:

Another really cool thread/discussion on the Westerosi subterranean. Anyone can read it here if they so fancy...

I'm a fan of Sweetsunray.  I think I've read this series but I'll read it again.

On 11/30/2020 at 6:13 PM, LynnS said:

It's interesting that she tells him that all crows are liars.  :D

Since we delved a bit into greek mythology maybe we can get some bits about crows and ravens.

Apollo as Apollo Pythios is the prophetic deity of the Oracle of Delphi. Apollo uses ravens as messengers and spies.

In Ovid’s Metamorphoses, Apollo had a lover called Coronis. Suspecting she was unfaithful Apollo ordered a white raven to watch her. When the raven confirmed his suspicions, an enraged Apollo killed Coronis and cursed the raven to be forever black.

Coronis is also the name of a princess transformed into a crow by Athena. In the real world the names of the carrion crow (corvus corone) and the hooded crow (corvus cornix) are related to Coronis.

We can map Apollo to the weirwoods and greenseers due to their prophetic abilities with the ravens being their messengers or spies; next we can tie Coronis to the 3EC and NW for being unfaithful (or liars).

8 hours ago, Wizz-The-Smith said:

ne meaning of a liminal space is as follows.... 

A liminal space is the time between the 'what was' and the 'next. ' It is a place of transition, a season of waiting, and not knowing. Liminal space is where all transformation takes place, if we learn to wait and let it form us.”

Wizz this is a fantastic quote.

‘A space of transition...a season of waiting...where all transformations take place’.

Brings me right to the Quiet Isle, where there are transitions, waiting and transformations taking place right now.  And the EB has his rooms in a cave!  I love it! 

The QI reminds me a bit of the mystical Avalon. The QI can be seen, is reachable but one must have care and seems to have the ability to have war pass it by, so far. 

Love it. 

Harrenhal is described as a man made hollow hill:

Harrenhal was deceptive from afar, because it was so huge. Its colossal curtain walls rose beside the lake, sheer and sudden as mountain cliffs

The walls of Harrenhal were so thick that passing beneath them was like passing through a stone tunnel.

and its own great hall, grandly named the Hall of a Hundred Hearths even though it only had thirty and some (Arya had tried to count them, twice, but she came up with thirty-three once and thirty-five the other time) was so cavernous that Lord Tywin could have feasted his entire host

Jamie's transformation started in the darkness of the Riverrun dungeons, he lost his identity as a warrior when his hand was cut on the way to Harrenhal. He has his  tree dream about the underworld after exiting the castle but he returns to rescue a maid from death.

@Seams @alienarea

Weird!  The clicking of Old Nan's knitting needles reminds me of a metronome, and the swinging of the seasons, a pendulum.

A metronome, from ancient Greek μέτρον (métron, "measure") and νέμω (némo, "I manage", "I lead"), is a device that produces an audible click or other sound at a regular interval that can be set by the user, typically in beats per minute (BPM). Musicians use the device to practice playing to a regular pulse. Metronomes typically include synchronized visual motion (e.g., swinging pendulum or blinking lights).

A kind of metronome was among the inventions of Andalusian polymath Abbas ibn Firnas (810–887). In 1815, Johann Maelzel patented his mechanical, wind-up metronome as a tool for musicians, under the title "Instrument/Machine for the Improvement of all Musical Performance, called Metronome".[1] In the 20th century, electronic metronomes and software metronomes were invented.

Musicians practice with metronomes to improve their timing, especially the ability to stick to a regular tempo. Metronome practice helps internalize a clear sense of timing and tempo. Composers and conductors often use a metronome as a standard tempo reference—and may play, sing, or conduct to the metronome. The metronome is used by composers to derive beats per minute if they want to indicate that in a composition. Conductors use a metronome to note their preferred tempo in each section.

When interpreting emotion and other qualities in music, performers seldom play exactly on every beat; expressive, flexible rubato may be used at times. Typically, every beat of a musically expressive performance does not align exactly with each click of a metronome.[2][3][4] This has led some musicians to criticize use of a metronome, because metronome time is different from musical time.[5]

Is it possible that the magical cause of the season's unnatural balance has something to do with time?  

34 minutes ago, LynnS said:

s it possible that the magical cause of the season's unnatural balance has something to do with time?  

I've been saying this for a long time, but rather than a comparison to a broken metronome, I thought GRRM - being the Marvel and other comics fan that he is - had taken inspiration from Dr Strange, who could manipulate time using the Eye of Aggamotto. There's a lot to go over with this parallel. Earlier, at the beginning of this thread someone - forgive me, I've forgotten who said this - was doubting Bran was time traveling, because she/he said that it only appeared that way, because weirwoods don't have a concept of time. The past, present, and future are all one to weirwoods, so going into a weirwood a greenseer would experience time in a different way. It's just like the sidhe fairies. A human goes missing in a fairy hill and when they come back it varies. Sometimes time stood still and sometimes they came back twenty years later. I understand the concept she/he was getting at, but I still think Bran is time traveling, because future Bran does reach back to Bran in the Winterfell crypt. 

Circling back to Dr Strange - he placed time into a continual loop before he approached Dormammu in case he was unsuccessful in defeating the much more powerful being. Everytime Dormammu killed Dr Strange, the loop restarted and Dr Strange reappeared at the beginning again. When Dr Strange placed time in a continual loop, the rest of the world was in slow motion. People looked suspended like someone hit a giant freeze button.

A big "freeze button". This is what I think GRRM has done with our story. When the Children interceded to help the First Men defeat the Others, I think they placed time into a continual loop so that every time Brandon Stark is killed, the loop restarts. I also think greenseers are able to slow down seasons until a specific event occurs. Bloodraven said he looked for Bran. Did he look for him as soon as Ned's brother Brandon died? Once Bran was named, Bloodraven extended summer for 9-10 years so that Bran could grow up in the best environment he could. Summers are typically peaceful times. It's fall and winter that are full of war and famine.

Now that Bran is actually a greenseer, it may extend his life and preserve the current Brandon Stark so repairs can be made to the time loop or perhaps dismantle it and eradicate magic. Without magic, white walkers, wights, dragons, etc cannot exist, and man can return to negotiating with each other without access to super-weapons created with magic.

Adding on to the idea that there is an Eye of Aggamotto in our story....both Bloodraven and Euron have one "special" eye each. Bloodraven's is red, while Euron's is red with a large black pupil. His other eye is blue. He covers his "Crow's Eye" with an eyepatch. Now, lets see some illustrations of the Eye of Aggamotto...

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/eye-of-agamotto/4055-55701/

https://www.hiclipart.com/free-transparent-background-png-clipart-qvnrr

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-2-in-one-doctor-strange-eye-of-agamotto/

That last link shows depictions of Dr Strange wearing the Eye of Aggamotto as an eyepatch.

1 hour ago, LynnS said:

@Seams @alienarea

Weird!  The clicking of Old Nan's knitting needles reminds me of a metronome, and the swinging of the seasons, a pendulum.

Is it possible that the magical cause of the season's unnatural balance has something to do with time?  

Not exactly a metronome, but GRRM uses a "boom doom boom doom" sound of drums at 3 specific moments.

First in the last part of the Red Wedding:

Catelyn grabbed a handful of Jinglebell Frey's long grey hair and dragged him out of his hiding place. "Lord Walder!" she shouted. "LORD WALDER!" The drum beat slow and sonorous, doom boom doom. "Enough," said Catelyn. "Enough, I say. You have repaid betrayal with betrayal, let it end." When she pressed her dagger to Jinglebell's throat, the memory of Bran's sickroom came back to her, with the feel of steel at her own throat. The drum went boom doom boom doom boom doom. "Please," she said. "He is my son. My first son, and my last. Let him go. Let him go and I swear we will forget this . . . forget all you've done here. I swear it by the old gods and new, we . . . we will take no vengeance . . ."

Robb had broken his word, but Catelyn kept hers. She tugged hard on Aegon's hair and sawed at his neck until the blade grated on bone. Blood ran hot over her fingers. His little bells were ringing, ringing, ringing, and the drum went boom doom boom.

Then in the Ghost of Winterfell:

And in the heart of the wood the weirwood waited with its knowing red eyes. Theon stopped by the edge of the pool and bowed his head before its carved red face. Even here he could hear the drumming, boom DOOM boom DOOM boom DOOM boom DOOM. Like distant thunder, the sound seemed to come from everywhere at once.

The night was windless, the snow drifting straight down out of a cold black sky, yet the leaves of the heart tree were rustling his name. "Theon," they seemed to whisper, "Theon."

The third one is on a dream in the chapter that Jon opens let Tormund's wildlings to pass through The Wall.

That night he dreamt of wildlings howling from the woods, advancing to the moan of warhorns and the roll of drums. Boom DOOM boom DOOM boom DOOM came the sound, a thousand hearts with a single beat. Some had spears and some had bows and some had axes. Others rode on chariots made of bones, drawn by teams of dogs as big as ponies. Giants lumbered amongst them, forty feet tall, with mauls the size of oak trees.

"Stand fast," Jon Snow called. "Throw them back." He stood atop the Wall, alone. "Flame," he cried, "feed them flame," but there was no one to pay heed.

Burning shafts hissed upward, trailing tongues of fire. Scarecrow brothers tumbled down, black cloaks ablaze. "Snow," an eagle cried, as foemen scuttled up the ice like spiders. Jon was armored in black ice, but his blade burned red in his fist. As the dead men reached the top of the Wall he sent them down to die again

3 hours ago, LynnS said:

@Seams @alienarea

A metronome is for musician, i.e. for singers, too. And singers sing a song (of ice and fire). 

As for time, whenever Bran looks back in time through the weirwoods, it's like setting the needle back on a record? And when he switches back to present time, he does not exactly hit the same spot with the record player's needle, just close. Like a glitch in the matrix, so to speak.

Over time, all those glitches add up to the seasons being out of time. My Heisenberg uncertainty principle again.

1 hour ago, Tucu said:

The third one is on a dream in the chapter that Jon opens let Tormund's wildlings to pass through The Wall.

I'd have to say that Jon's instrument are the drums, just as Sam's is a horn, Sansa is also a musical instrument: This outdoor musical instrument is a clever blend of two African instruments; the Sansa (thumb-piano) and a Marimba (xylophone). Arya is the solo singer.  Any more?

3 hours ago, LynnS said:

Nice catch. Or the clicking needles could be like the ticking of a clock.

The pendulum metaphor might be right, or might underscore the problem with the Westeros seasons: they are unpredictable and don't swing back and forth regularly, like the pendulum of a metronome.

I feel as if I've had some good insights recently on the Dunk & Egg story, The Sworn Sword. I suspect the diversion of the Chequy Water (the stream) in that story may be GRRM's metaphor for the out-of-kilter seasons. Humans experience time as a river and the river flows in one direction. (Even Tyrion's weird experience aboard the Shy Maid at the Bridge of Dream can be explained if you picture a flooded oxbow sending the river boat in a loop.) In Westeros, someone or some force has diverted the seasons out of their usual path, like the river that used to run alongside the inn at the crossroads but has now found a path many yards away from the inn. Finding a balance between forces, removing a dam, sharing the water - those are the ways to restore the land, livestock, crops, fish, etc. while still providing a defensive moat around Coldmoat.

But I also love @Melifeather's Dr. Strange theory, as well. Could be the metronome, the river and the time freeze are all correct, on some level.

1 hour ago, Tucu said:

"Stand fast," Jon Snow called. "Throw them back." He stood atop the Wall, alone. "Flame," he cried, "feed them flame," but there was no one to pay heed.

Burning shafts hissed upward, trailing tongues of fire. Scarecrow brothers tumbled down, black cloaks ablaze. "Snow," an eagle cried, as foemen scuttled up the ice like spiders. Jon was armored in black ice, but his blade burned red in his fist. As the dead men reached the top of the Wall he sent them down to die again

This is quite helpful as I draw nearer to understanding deeper layers in The Sworn Sword. In that story, Standfast and the spiders are on opposing sides of the central conflict. There are also scenes involving small folk forming a (shield) wall but scattering as Dunk rides his war horse into their midst. The removal of the dam in the stream is (I suspect) analogous to the fall of The Wall that may occur sometime in the last book of ASOIAF.

42 minutes ago, Seams said:

This is quite helpful as I draw nearer to understanding deeper layers in The Sworn Sword. In that story, Standfast and the spiders are on opposing sides of the central conflict. There are also scenes involving small folk forming a (shield) wall but scattering as Dunk rides his war horse into their midst. The removal of the dam in the stream is (I suspect) analogous to the fall of The Wall that may occur sometime in the last book of ASOIAF.

I had no idea about Standfast and the dam. Looking at the wall as a dam reminded me of this quote from Catelyn:

Renly's battles were already coming apart as the rumors spread from mouth to mouth. The nightfires had burned low, and as the east began to lighten the immense mass of Storm's End emerged like a dream of stone while wisps of pale mist raced across the field, flying from the sun on wings of wind. Morning ghosts, she had heard Old Nan call them once, spirits returning to their graves. And Renly one of them now, gone like his brother Robert, like her own dear Ned.

A dam to stop the flow of ghosts returning to their graves.

We have seen Varamyr's soul flying in the wind in the prologue of ADWD.

Then both were gone and he was rising, melting, his spirit borne on some cold wind

Keeping with the dam theme we have a river of wildlings crossing The Wall. Tormund blew a horn and the river flowed.

"You are a black-hearted bastard, Lord Crow." Tormund Horn-Blower lifted his own warhorn to his lips. The sound of it echoed off the ice like rolling thunder, and the first of the free folk began to stream toward the gate.

From dawn till dusk Jon watched the wildlings pass.

Amongst the stream of warriors were the fathers of many of Jon's hostages. Some stared with cold dead eyes as they went by, fingering their sword hilts. Others smiled at him like long-lost kin, though a few of those smiles discomfited Jon Snow more than any glare

By late afternoon the snow was falling steadily, but the river of wildlings had dwindled to a stream. Columns of smoke rose from the trees where their camp had been. "Toregg," Tormund explained. "Burning the dead. Always some who go to sleep and don't wake up. You find them in their tents, them as have tents, curled up and froze. Toregg knows what to do."

The stream was no more than a trickle by the time Toregg emerged from the wood

Remember the shadow that entered Storm's End inside Melisandre through a hole in the rocks?

"There was no need," she said. "He was unprotected. But here . . . this Storm's End is an old place. There are spells woven into the stones. Dark walls that no shadow can pass—ancient, forgotten, yet still in place."

A mouth yawned in the cliff, and it was that Davos steered for, as he had sixteen years before. The tunnel opened on a cavern under the castle, where the storm lords of old had built their landing.

3 hours ago, Seams said:

Or the clicking needles could be like the ticking of a clock.

Clocks made of complications. :D  Martin only used the word complicated once in all of the books:

A Storm of Swords - Sansa VI

"Who I . . . I don't understand."

"Varys has informers everywhere. If Sansa Stark should be seen in the Vale, the eunuch will know within a moon's turn, and that would create unfortunate . . . complications. It is not safe to be a Stark just now. So we shall tell Lysa's people that you are my natural daughter."

"Natural?" Sansa was aghast. "You mean, a bastard?"

Sansa may also be a little cuckoo bird.

The cuckoos are generally medium-sized slender birds. Most species live in trees, though a sizeable minority are ground-dwelling. The family has a cosmopolitan distribution, with the majority of species being tropical. Some species are migratory. The cuckoos feed on insects, insect larvae and a variety of other animals, as well as fruit. Some species are brood parasites, laying their eggs in the nests of other species, but the majority of species raise their own young.

Cuckoos have played a role in human culture for thousands of years, appearing in Greek mythology as sacred to the goddess Hera. In Europe, the cuckoo is associated with spring, and with cuckoldry, for example in Shakespeare's Love's Labour's Lost. In India, cuckoos are sacred to Kamadeva, the god of desire and longing, whereas in Japan, the cuckoo symbolises unrequited love.

Mirri Maaz Duur tells Dany that she will see Drogo again "when the sun rises in the west and sets in the east".

Is this a depiction of seeing past events, where the sun moves across the sky in reverse order?  Like running a film backwards?

A Game of Thrones - Daenerys IX

"When will he be as he was?" Dany demanded.

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Mirri Maz Duur. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

When the seas go dry: the Dothraki Sea, the Narrow Sea?  Some past event?

Mountains blow in the wind like leaves (on a tree):  A blood-line? Souls blowing in the wind?

When your womb quickens again and you bear a living child: A past life?

A Game of Thrones - Daenerys IX

"… want to wake the dragon …"

Ghosts lined the hallway, dressed in the faded raiment of kings. In their hands were swords of pale fire. They had hair of silver and hair of gold and hair of platinum white, and their eyes were opal and amethyst, tourmaline and jade. "Faster," they cried, "faster, faster." She raced, her feet melting the stone wherever they touched. "Faster!" the ghosts cried as one, and she screamed and threw herself forward. A great knife of pain ripped down her back, and she felt her skin tear open and smelled the stench of burning blood and saw the shadow of wings. And Daenerys Targaryen flew.

A Clash of Kings - Daenerys IV

Faster and faster the visions came, one after the other, until it seemed as if the very air had come alive. Shadows whirled and danced inside a tent, boneless and terrible. A little girl ran barefoot toward a big house with a red door. Mirri Maz Duur shrieked in the flames, a dragon bursting from her brow. Behind a silver horse the bloody corpse of a naked man bounced and dragged. A white lion ran through grass taller than a man. Beneath the Mother of Mountains, a line of naked crones crept from a great lake and knelt shivering before her, their grey heads bowed. Ten thousand slaves lifted bloodstained hands as she raced by on her silver, riding like the wind. "Mother!" they cried. "Mother, mother!" They were reaching for her, touching her, tugging at her cloak, the hem of her skirt, her foot, her leg, her breast. They wanted her, needed her, the fire, the life, and Dany gasped and opened her arms to give herself to them . . .

Kings are mountains among men.  And a line of grey-haired clones going into the past bow before her. (This is almost Bene Gesserit - fear is the little death/sleep is the little death):D

On 12/2/2020 at 1:21 PM, Tucu said:

Harrenhal is described as a man made hollow hill:

Jamie's transformation started in the darkness of the Riverrun dungeons, he lost his identity as a warrior when his hand was cut on the way to Harrenhal. He has his  tree dream about the underworld after exiting the castle but he returns to rescue a maid from death.

Absolutely. I'm sure the use of the words tunnels and cavernous are intentional to emphasise that exact point. 

Jaqen also undergoes a transformation after leaving Harrenhal, and one could argue Arya experienced a transformative moment in her journey having received the FM coin. 

I'll have to check out some of the other scenes where characters inhabit a Hhill/cave/the subterranean and see if there are any similar transformative moments. 

4 hours ago, LynnS said:

Mirri Maaz Duur tells Dany that she will see Drogo again "when the sun rises in the west and sets in the east".

Is this a depiction of seeing past events, where the sun moves across the sky in reverse order?  Like running a film backwards?

Mountains blow in the wind like leaves (on a tree):  A blood-line? Souls blowing in the wind?

Kings are mountains among men.  And a line of grey-haired clones going into the past bow before her. (This is almost Bene Gesserit - fear is the little death/sleep is the little death):D

If Mirri is a mage and sees images of prophecies, then I think she thought she was telling Daenerys that she would never see Drogo again, that it was as impossible as seas drying up and mountains blowing away, but just like Melisandre she may be erring in the interpretation. Jojen recounts his green dreams without attempting to interpret what they mean, but both Melisandre and Mirri seem to "see" what they want to see. Its possible that these images/prophecies that she has seen actually apply to things in Westeros. Right now there is a blizzard in the north - at the Wall and at Winterfell - that will soon spread southward, bringing about another Long Night. We've discussed on Heresy before that perhaps the blizzard is actually the Wall disintegrating. If that is the case, then could it not be described as a "mountain" blowing in the wind like leaves? As the cold creeps and expands southward, lakes and rivers are freezing over. Again, certainly they could become "dry" enough to walk on. 

As for the sun rising in the west - this is something Quaithe warned Daenerys of - how to navigate a world that has been inverted like looking at an image in a mirror. This all relates back to our "time" discussion, which I believe is running in reverse for humans, un-doing historic events. 

The order of migration and their conquering peoples have already occurred in reverse. Historically the First Men arrived first, then the Andals with their extremist followers of the Faith of the Seven, then the Rhoynar who married into Dorne, and lastly the Targaryens. Our story began after the Targaryens were already removed from office and an Andal retook the throne. The Faith of the Seven currently has the upper hand on Cersei and Margaery. Meanwhile Doran Martell has sent Arianne (Dorne) to broker a marriage pact with Young Griff who arrived to Westeros by way of the Rhoynar. The male and female roles were switched and I suspect that Young Griff will turn pretty Arianne down. This role reversal will continue for the resurrection of the First Men to power as soon as Sansa is revealed and becomes the first Queen in the North. 

Historic time is running in reverse in Westeros, but I do not know if it will even apply to Daenerys. Personally, I don't think she will ever leave Essos. The time of the Targaryens has ended. They weren't in Westeros before the First Men, so I believe her role is that of a dragonlord and Mother of dragons. The dragonlords of old enslaved the people they conquered, but Daenerys is the Breaker of Chains and has been freeing slaves - thus proof that she is to "remember" who she is. Somehow the fates have been guiding Daenerys to where she is now. Since Quaithe has been trying to tell her how to navigate this reversed world, then I think Quaithe would like Daenerys to remember she's a Targaryen. Whose side is she really on? Does she not want Daenerys to continue to free slaves? Or would she rather Daenerys be like the dragonlords of old, enslave her enemies, and keep the status quo?

4 hours ago, LynnS said:

I like to see those as a reset of the wheel of time by an impact from the red comet. An impact strong enough to blow up mountains and change the direction of planet rotation.

Facts time! Venus and Uranus are the only two planets that rotate backwards.  For Venus a possible explanation is a mix of an impact and the Sun tidals forces.

Venus' rotation and orbit are unusual in several ways. Venus is one of just two planets that rotate from east to west. Only Venus and Uranus have this "backwards" rotation. It completes one rotation in 243 Earth days — the longest day of any planet in our solar system, even longer than a whole year on Venus. But the Sun doesn't rise and set each "day" on Venus like it does on most other planets. On Venus, one day-night cycle takes 117 Earth days because Venus rotates in the direction opposite of its orbital revolution around the Sun.

Venus makes a complete orbit around the Sun (a year in Venusian time) in 225 Earth days or slightly less than two Venusian day-night cycles. Its orbit around the Sun is the most circular of any planet — nearly a perfect circle. Other planet's orbits are more elliptical, or oval-shaped.

For book references that support an impact we have Benerro:

Benerro shriek of bleeding stars and a sword of fire that will cleanse the world.

Benerro jabbed a finger at the moon, made a fist, spread his hands wide. When his voice rose in a crescendo, flames leapt from his fingers with a sudden whoosh and made the crowd gasp. The priest could trace fiery letters in the air as well. Valyrian glyphs. Tyrion recognized perhaps two in ten; one was Doom, the other Darkness.

Archived