Is Lyanna Stark a parallel to Helen of Troy?

butterweedstrover

14 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Hydaspes is actually super inaccurate in terms of geography, North-Eastern India is made of steppes, plains and deserts, not lush tropical forests.

I’m aware that it was an amalgamation of several battles that Alex fought. But I still argue that it was a very intense battle scene. Stone’s always been good at showing combat without making it glorious or fun. And the Indian battle is especially gory, plus I really get the sense of panic and despair, only for Alex’s suicidal rally to result in a turn of the tide, without taking away from how horrific it’s all been. 

I think it goes just a bit too over the top, and a bit pretentious, especially with the dialogue and the editing.

Fair. Stone’s style has always been polarizing. It’s just a matter of personal taste.

Mate, see "Zulu", "Tora Tora Tora", "War and Peace" and "Waterloo" in that case.

I’ll admit that I hesitated to watch some of them because I’ve heard quite a bit about how inaccurate Zulu is ( https://www.cracked.com/article_22236_6-true-story-movies-that-left-out-best-part.html ) and how poorly received Waterloo was. But I’ll give them a chance.

Just now, Canon Claude said:

I’ll admit that I hesitated to watch some of them because I’ve heard quite a bit about how inaccurate Zulu is, and how poorly received Waterloo was. But I’ll give them a chance.

Zulu is only historically inaccurate towards the end, but it works, while Waterloo is super good if you ignore the over the top acting. I mean Nic Cage levels of over the top.

4 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

It's one of the shittiest imbecilic movie ever. It's Alexander, only dumber, who in turn is Gladiator only dumber.

did not even try to watch troy. I endured 30 minutes of Gladiator and maybe 45 of Alexander. And I really like ancient history.

Id rather watch Spartacus with Douglas for 15th time, Or Dacii. I dig this sort of pathos. 

1 minute ago, broken one said:

did not even try to watch troy. I endured 30 minutes of Gladiator and maybe 45 of Alexander. And I really like ancient history.

Id rather watch Spartacus with Douglas for 15th time, Or Dacii. I dig this sort of pathos. 

Speaking as a Romanian, Dacii is one of the most cursed movies in history, a true lesson of communist nationalist propaganda. Not least because most of the "ancient ruins" in the former Dacian capital of Sarmisegetuza are actually the sets for this movie left behind (not even joking)

49 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Speaking as a Romanian, Dacii is one of the most cursed movies in history, a true lesson of communist nationalist propaganda. Not least because most of the "ancient ruins" in the former Dacian capital of Sarmisegetuza are actually the sets for this movie left behind (not even joking)

I did not get a word xept for "cavaleria" and a few more, so no pain, but it was not hard to guess...  anyway I was suprised when I discovered it on yt and watched with pleasure. same with Czechoslovakian Proti Vsem.

As for the Czechoslovakian trilogy - GREAT costumes imho. They had biggest budget and experts.  Knights and soldiers wear steel, not (only) some shitty foam. And Zizka is real badass.

7 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

Well starting a discussion with "I know the truth and people don't understand" is never a good starting point.

My nickname is the truth-teller.

It is an interesting tidbit that David Benioff wrote Troy's screenplay though. However, I wouldn't exactly call that a faithful portrayal of the Iliad. Perhaps Martin should've looked closer at that before signing off the show to him.  

Diane Kruger was perfect casting. 

edit: he was the screenwriter so I don't know how much he had to do with that.

Regardless to the subject, the Helen comparison seems.... forced. That would make Robert Menelaus and Rhaegar Paris. Both younger siblings. And let's not compare Priam to Aerys please. Other than the general commonality of a war over a woman it just doesn't seem to align. 

Not the story as a whole, just the woman at the center of it. 

A war fought over the girl.

1 hour ago, butterweedstrover said:

Not the story as a whole, just the woman at the center of it. 

A war fought over the girl.

That wouldn't make it a parallel, maybe and archetype would suit best what you mean

18 hours ago, butterweedstrover said:

I mean she is. The person GRRM picked to pitch the TV show was David Benioff who had one screen play under his belt from a year ago: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_(film) 

The movie starred Diana Kruger as Helen of Troy, this was his supposed expertise. 

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e9/1a/52/e91a524dfb0af04779ac374f34c8e2cb.jpg  

In ASOIAF, Lyanna is a very important person. The war between Baratheon and Targaryen was proceeded by the kidnapping of this women, and her role in the story is VERY important. More so than most people understand.  

However, when I suggested as such on reddit, people said that was very dumb. But alas, it is the truth, and much can be deciphered from this truth if a person so wishes. 

I don't.think so. The idea may have come from the story of Helen but their role in the story ends there.  The takeaway is the foolishness of the human heart. Starting a war which would bring death and suffering to many for the sake of love, brotherly or sexually doesn't matter, is tragic.  

20 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

I’ll grant you that Alexander has its low points, but the Final Cut is far better than the theatrical one, and actually follows the history quite closely. They sometimes cut corners by combining two different events into one event, but they clearly did their research. More than I can say for the fan fiction that was Gladiator, especially that stupid ending. And people who give Colin Farrell shit for his Irish accent don’t seem to care about Russell Crowe’s muted Australian-British accent while playing a Romanized Spaniard.

I personally enjoyed Gladiator, mostly due to the performances of actors despite being historically inaccurate. That movie is actually remake of The Fall of Roman Empire  which has Obi Wan playing Emperor Marcus Aurelius and  some of really epic battle scenes.

Oliver Stones Alexander on the other hand I find a travesty from badly bleached Farrell, to Jolie's horrible accent, skipping most of the important battles and focus on Alexander's debauchery. I actually find 1956 version with Richard Burrton more tolerable.

Archived