Yellowjackets (Showtime series / spoilers)

RumHam

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Tai intentionally broke her teammates leg before the flight. Rule one of sport is you don't intentionally hurt an opponent. A much bigger rule is you don't do it to your own freaking teammate. And she did it over something minimal that a quick conversation could have resolved. She got on that plane with a lot of demons as well even before considering the Eyeless man.

Yep, you are absolutely right.  It's so easy to forget what happens when.  Thanks for that reminder.   Looking back they all had their quirks and oddities, even if not obvious problems, before getting on the plane.  Maybe that is the point?  Even normal people can be pushed to their limits.  Shauna wasn't greatest friend ever, but she wasn't really different from a lot of girls, secretly wanting another girl's life.  I can't really draw a line from that sort of behavior to skinning animals then murdering people so it's sort of wonky for me where some of the others are a little easier to follow.  Maybe I'm an idiot, but Lottie became sympathetic to me when she sliced her hand and asked if it couldn't be enough.   I am starting to wonder if she isn't misunderstood here somewhere.  I know it's early, but I thought she was the heavy in all this.  

21 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Yep, you are absolutely right.  It's so easy to forget what happens when.  Thanks for that reminder.   Looking back they all had their quirks and oddities, even if not obvious problems, before getting on the plane.  Maybe that is the point?  Even normal people can be pushed to their limits.  Shauna wasn't greatest friend ever, but she wasn't really different from a lot of girls, secretly wanting another girl's life.  I can't really draw a line from that sort of behavior to skinning animals then murdering people so it's sort of wonky for me where some of the others are a little easier to follow.  Maybe I'm an idiot, but Lottie became sympathetic to me when she sliced her hand and asked if it couldn't be enough.   I am starting to wonder if she isn't misunderstood here somewhere.  I know it's early, but I thought she was the heavy in all this.  

I think a key part of the show is that they underscored each main character had something we'd see as a flaw, and that the time in the wilderness exacerbated it for everyone who survived, except so far for Van. That's in part why I think Ben is a goner soon because his "flaw" wasn't a flaw at all. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

I agree they're all unreliable, I just don't think of them as narrators for the most part. Other than the story Lottie told Nat about the night Travis died that I think some of us doubted was the whole story. 

Apart from the halucinations and fantasies I take what we see on camera at face value.

59 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I agree they're all unreliable, I just don't think of them as narrators for the most part. Other than the story Lottie told Nat about the night Travis died that I think some of us doubted was the whole story. 

Apart from the halucinations and fantasies I take what we see on camera at face value.

I don't know.  I think there were so many flashes forward and back I can't always tell what's real and not.  There is that bit with Lottie as a little girl in the back seat when she screams and her dad stops the car.  Was that her really having a precognitive vision or just a kid screaming?    Then there is the flash forward when she puts her hand on the roommate's chest and assures her they will help her like they helped her post shock therapy.  Was that real?  I don't think she's really seeing a psychiatrist at all in the now, but why does she imagine she is?  It's very weird.  

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

They're narrating their experience in the woods in present time and there are some inconsistencies. Considering they all suffered from likely serious PTSD their ability to fully remember and/or explain what they saw will probably be affected. 

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

They're narrating their experience in the woods in present time and there are some inconsistencies. Considering they all suffered from likely serious PTSD their ability to fully remember and/or explain what they saw will probably be affected. 

Are they narrating it? The show has never given any real indication that the bits in the woods are just a narrated version of events, in fact they are presented in the same way as current events are shown.

Im open to the idea this is all unreliable, but it’s really not been made clear that is what we are seeing. If that turns out to be the case it could in fact destroy the entire show if not handled properly. 

On top of that, whose version of events would it be? There are too many scenes of each character alone doing things they probably wouldn’t have shared with other characters for it to come from only one source. I also don’t buy that this group of people were open about sharing all their experiences with each other enough to create some sort of collective story. They can barely talk about what happened now.

So I actually don’t buy the idea this is a narrated version of events, the show has done far too much to make that very unlikely.

Edited by Heartofice

Basically every character lies all the time and they have been shown to remember things differently or not remember them at all. I think most of the stuff we see in the past is accurate when multiple characters are there and agree, but everything else is fair game to wonder exactly how real it is. 

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Basically every character lies all the time and they have been shown to remember things differently or not remember them at all. I think most of the stuff we see in the past is accurate when multiple characters are there and agree, but everything else is fair game to wonder exactly how real it is. 

Yes they lie to other characters, but there's no indication that the 1996 timeline is being narrated, or even is someone's memory or their collective memories edited together. It's not even like Lost where they'd focus on someone's face and do a sound effect to suggest "this person is remembering this event from their life."

I just don't see any reason to be suspicious of what we're being shown in the woods. Apart from the hallucinations or dreams and stuff. 

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

That baby is gonna be tasty.

Seems like a big line to cross for not a lot of meat. But then I'm not starving in the woods. 

The next episode is called "Burial" though. Though that probably refers to Lottie's weird "bury people alive" therapy we briefly saw. 

12 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Yes they lie to other characters, but there's no indication that the 1996 timeline is being narrated, or even is someone's memory or their collective memories edited together. It's not even like Lost where they'd focus on someone's face and do a sound effect to suggest "this person is remembering this event from their life."

I just don't see any reason to be suspicious of what we're being shown in the woods. Apart from the hallucinations or dreams and stuff. 

I guess I just have to disagree though I could be wrong. At times it seems like a modern day character will kind of talk about the past and then we jump back to what they're thinking about and there have been times where characters go back to the same general point and don't recall things the same way. 

40 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Seems like a big line to cross for not a lot of meat. But then I'm not starving in the woods. 

The next episode is called "Burial" though. Though that probably refers to Lottie's weird "bury people alive" therapy we briefly saw. 

Can we talk about the trailer?  I'm brand new to this...

6 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Can we talk about the trailer?  I'm brand new to this...

I didn't know there was one. I don't see why not, maybe use spoiler tags if you want to be careful. I think I'd argue that any information Showtime is willing to put in a trailer probably isn't considered a spoiler. 

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

I didn't know there was one. I don't see why not, maybe use spoiler tags if you want to be careful. I think I'd argue that any information Showtime is willing to put in a trailer probably isn't considered a spoiler. 

It's out.  All over Youtube for the world to see.  

Spoiler

Shows Shauna and presumably others making a small rock pile for the baby.   Looks like Shauna beats some of the girls up.  There is another shot of Misty in a bathing suit emerging from a tank, like a depravation chamber.  In the wilderness a bunch of them are carrying a body or what I think is a body on a stick on their backs.  All I really see is the shoes.  They look like big shoes.  In the now they seem to be having a party, drinking and dancing.  

So burial is a good name

1 minute ago, Curled Finger said:

It's out.  All over Youtube for the world to see.  

Hide contents

Shows Shauna and presumably others making a small rock pile for the baby.   Looks like Shauna beats some of the girls up.  There is another shot of Misty in a bathing suit emerging from a tank, like a depravation chamber.  In the wilderness a bunch of them are carrying a body or what I think is a body on a stick on their backs.  All I really see is the shoes.  They look like big shoes.  In the now they seem to be having a party, drinking and dancing.  

So burial is a good name

Just watched. I'm most curious about 

Spoiler

What's going on with Ben at the end. Misty seems concerned. 

Apparently they also mail viewers clues? First I've heard of it but I saw this:

Oh crikey!  @RumHam

I watched a recap said something about 

Spoiler

an actor playing Calligula the bird as a person.  Had his face and everything.  I could swear this is something from the opening flashes but I could be wrong.  I never noticed it before, but the opening makes my eyes shake or something!  Goat.  Greatest of all Time.  I don't know what that is in the upper left.  Sounds like a Misty episode to me!   Are Ben and Misty at the same place Kristen fell?  

Just makes me eager for the whole danged show.  This waiting sucks.  

25 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Oh crikey!  @RumHam

I watched a recap said something about 

Reveal hidden contents

an actor playing Calligula the bird as a person.  Had his face and everything.  I could swear this is something from the opening flashes but I could be wrong.  I never noticed it before, but the opening makes my eyes shake or something!  Goat.  Greatest of all Time.  I don't know what that is in the upper left.  Sounds like a Misty episode to me!   Are Ben and Misty at the same place Kristen fell?  

Just makes me eager for the whole danged show.  This waiting sucks.  

Spoiler

I think the upper left thing is Travis and Javi's family ring, that he got off his dad and gave to Javi last season. 

3 minutes ago, RumHam said:
  Hide contents

I think the upper left thing is Travis and Javi's family ring, that he got off his dad and gave to Javi last season. 

I was just fascinated by the posts attached to your post.  Looks like my recap may have been right even if I didn't explain it well.  Super fun.  

Spoiler

Checked IMDB and see Elijah Wood is supposed to be in 5 episodes so I hope he comes back into the story with goats and birds and all that great timing he and Christina Ricci have together.   Occurred to me that those big shoes could be Javi's.  That would really be bad.  Sure would make sense of that ring.  I hate it, but it makes sense.