Corvo the Crow

Stannis will become an Ice Dragon, the allusions to the queer/false/multiple/weak/missing (Stannis's life force has become so weak that Mel would not dare cast another shadow baby) shadows are symbolic of the world beneath the Ice Dragon's translucent wings. Also the passage below.

King Stannis pointed a finger. "There you err, Onion Knight. Some lights cast more than one shadow. Stand before the nightfire and you'll see for yourself. The flames shift and dance, never still. The shadows grow tall and short, and every man casts a dozen. Some are fainter than others, that's all. Well, men cast their shadows across the future as well. One shadow or many. Melisandre sees them all."

The Ice Dragon's wings will disperse light/heat under them and it might be that they'll allow the Others to move beneath them, probably this is the Long Night and hence glowing like sunset.

The sun will probably appear red through the Ice Dragon and is both the bleeding red star and the red sword casting no shadow. If the sun would really appear red if it's rays were to travel through a bunch of ice I don't know, but the general principle is the more particles/atmosphere sunlight travels through the more colours get scattered except for red. That's why we get glowing red sunsets, sunset being when the atmosphere is thickest between the sun and viewer.

"Osha," Bran asked as they crossed the yard. "Do you know the way north? To the Wall and . . . and even past?"
"The way's easy. Look for the Ice Dragon, and chase the blue star in the rider's eye." She backed through a door and started up the winding steps.

The red comet near the constellation of the Ice Dragon, which has a blue star in the rider's eye, would also fit this symbolism. There other other constellations referenced in the vision, too: the Stallion, the King's Crown, the Galley. 

Stannis the blue eyed king who has lost his shadow.  He gave up his shadow to carry out the assassinations early on in the story.  It is allegory to a man giving up his soul to get what he wants. 

The sword is his connection to Daenerys and the Azor Ahai story.  He, or rather Mellisandre, is claiming he is Azor Ahai.  This is the first lie which must be resolved by Daenerys.  Glowing like sunset means it was bright.  Stannis had a flaming sword on Dragonstone. 

Bit further on: The pit fire was burning low, and the king's shadow on the Wall had shrunk to a quarter of it's former height. Jon Snow could see his breath in the air. Cold, he thought, and getting colder. This mummer's show has gone on long enough.

Mummer means summer here, I think. And probably always.

4 hours ago, Quoth the raven, said:

Stannis the blue eyed king who has lost his shadow.  He gave up his shadow to carry out the assassinations early on in the story.  It is allegory to a man giving up his soul to get what he wants.  

That was my thought as well. Stannis cast no shadows (in the vision) because Melisandre took his shadows to use as weapons.

Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow.

Until recently, I had little reason to doubt this is a reference to Stannis but now I’m not so sure.
First thing I noticed:

if fAegon is the cloth dragon and Euron is the stone beast, then all three visions are associated with the colour blue. Three blue-eyed kings to be exact. fAegon’s eyes are said to be a dark blue in certain lights (and his hair is dyed blue). Euron’s “smiling eye” is blue and his lips are blue from drinking shade-of-the-evening.

That in itself doesn’t change anything but it led me to look for further possible similarities and I would say Euron and fAegon share “returning from death” imagery. Aegon was believed dead, killed as an infant and is back. The stone beast is “woken.” The Ironborn motto is “what is dead can never die, but comes back harder and stronger.” Then the shadow references – the king without a shadow, a dragon of cloth could be a “shadow dragon” and the stone beast breathes shadow fire.

Dany sees baby Aegon in a vision, with Rhaegar and Elia. What if certain other visions she sees are also connected to this particular “slayer of lies” trio? Pyat Pree appears to her while she journeys through the HotU. It’s unclear if this sighting of him is real or part of the visions but she sees him.

Spoiler

He and other warlocks have been captured and tortured by Euron.

The one person she sees who fits the image of the blue-eyed king without a shadow is Robb. In her vision he bears his wolf’s head and is clearly undead, the only undead being amongst the slain feasters. He was blue-eyed and now has no shadow. And the sword Robb should have inherited is now a red sword – and I would argue that it’s a red sword that glows like sunset. Oathkeeper and Widow’s Wail:

This one was thicker and heavier, a half-inch wider and three inches longer, but they shared the same fine clean lines and the same distinctive color, the ripples of blood and night.

Ripples of blood and night – the red glow of sunset deepening into night.

In contrast, Stannis’s Lightbringer is described in terms of sunlight:

“It glows,” said Sam, in a hushed voice. “As if it were on fire. There are no flames, but the steel is yellow and red and orange, all flashing and glimmering, like sunshine on water, but prettier. I wish you could see it, Maester.” “I see it now, Sam. A sword full of sunlight. So lovely to behold.”

Why Dany was shown the scene of the Red Wedding remains undisclosed but that vision would make sense if an undead Robb Stark is one of the lies she has to slay. I’m not sure Stannis will be around long enough to even have an interaction with Dany. It seems unlikely. She will certainly have to face the other two, Aegon and Euron, in one way or another. And if a vengeful Robb Stark were to return from death, that would be something she will have to deal with.

Make of it what you will. I think it’s worth considering.

Archived