HOTD Musings

Looks like Euphoria will probably be filming next year too, but I have to wonder, is Sam Levinson on his way to getting Joss Whedon-ed? He wasn’t named in the lawsuit that revealed the fake Twitter accounts, but it sounds like he’s unpleasant to work for. HBO seems to love these auteur showrunners, but the price may be outweighing the prize here.

The interesting thing about reading show-fans’ thoughts on HOTD online is that the most consistent critique I see, aside from “not enough happening,” is that it doesn’t have a Tyrion—not even Tyrion himself, but just a character who fills a similar role (the Hound gets mentioned quite a bit too). Book-fans spent so much time rolling our eyes at St. Tyrion that it was easy to forget how much of a draw he was for the show. Aside from Mushroom, the only character I think could have been refashioned into someone more Tyrion-like would have been Larys. But I’ve long felt that Larys would have been a better character if they made him less overtly evil.

It also makes me wonder how much of a franchise’s success is based on loyalty to certain archetypes. All the main Star Wars movies included a trio, a master and apprentice, a bad guy in a black cape, a droid, etc. James Bond avoided the issue entirely by having the character live forever. Even the Rings of Power showrunners were right on the money when they said that any LOTR product needed some kind of hobbit to succeed. Perhaps that’s part of why Marvel has been struggling for the past few years: none of the new characters have been able to fill the shoes of Tony Stark and Steve Rogers. 

On 11/2/2023 at 12:29 PM, Ran said:

I see Bloys apologized for the tweet stuff, and actually he cites the pandemic and doom-scrolling Twitter as mostly why he became so frustrated. Honestly, makes sense. He's switched to just outright DMing and having conversations with critics.

Yes, privately intimidating journalists and saying “we’re HBO and won’t give you exclusive interviews if you keep doing this” is more more effective than using sock puppet accounts to publicly taunt them. Reporters don’t fear internet trolls they fear creator backlash. 

I oddly sympathize with Bloys though I know pandemic isolation was upsetting, and compared to the old administration Bloys is doing a decent job

Edited by The Dragon Demands

37 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Yes, privately intimidating journalists and saying “we’re HBO and won’t give you exclusive interviews if you keep doing this” is more more effective than using sock puppet accounts to publicly taunt them. Reporters don’t fear internet trolls they fear creator backlash. 

I oddly sympathize with Bloys though I know pandemic isolation was upsetting, and compared to the old administration Bloys is doing a decent job

What’s surprising is that they were able to trace this back directly to Bloys himself. Shady social media shenanigans is something I would expect from the comms team, not the CEO. It reminds me of how some authors/publishers were exposed for trying to dogpile negative reviewers on Goodreads years ago (most of whom were not professional reviewers, mind you).

9 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Damn, what made it that expensive to film?

Hard to say. It was originally budgeted at $100 million, and it ended up costing double. Just 4 days of shooting with 300 extras on a remote beach in Australia cost $5 million, and they called that "below budget" and a "model of efficiency". I'm thinking the many remote locations, the many extras, and the logistics of it all is part of why the budget ballooned. 

51 minutes ago, Ran said:

Hard to say. It was originally budgeted at $100 million, and it ended up costing double. Just 4 days of shooting with 300 extras on a remote beach in Australia cost $5 million, and they called that "below budget" and a "model of efficiency". I'm thinking the many remote locations, the many extras, and the logistics of it all is part of why the budget ballooned. 

I know The Pacific was a prestigious drama that reflected well on the network, but I can’t imagine that they earned back the money they spent on it. It’s not like HBO was selling Pacific merch on the side.

4 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I know The Pacific was a prestigious drama that reflected well on the network, but I can’t imagine that they earned back the money they spent on it. It’s not like HBO was selling Pacific merch on the side.

Weird synchronicity, because some guy released a video on this topic... 7 hours ago: