Hygiene of Aerys the Mad

Tyrosh Lannister

Mad King Aerys refused to take a bath - he had an unwashed beard and body. His finger nails grey very very long. 

So how did he clean up after using the bathroom ? Having extremely long finger nails would have made cleaning up impossible or very difficult. Because he was king of the seven kingdoms he must have had some servant to help him clean up right ?

12 minutes ago, Tyrosh Lannister said:

Mad King Aerys refused to take a bath - he had an unwashed beard and body. His finger nails grey very very long. 

So how did he clean up after using the bathroom ? Having extremely long finger nails would have made cleaning up impossible or very difficult. Because he was king of the seven kingdoms he must have had some servant to help him clean up right ?

Tywin did it.

10 hours ago, Tyrosh Lannister said:

Martin tends to go light on the toilet stuff unless he's talking about Daenerys; for instance he never goes into Bran having incontinence issues due to his paralysis or Jaime having to lace himself up one-handed after using the privy.

37 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Martin tends to go light on the toilet stuff unless he's talking about Daenerys; for instance he never goes into Bran having incontinence issues due to his paralysis or Jaime having to lace himself up one-handed after using the privy.

I don't know about Bran but Jaime:

"One he can hang if the friend's father should displease him?" asked Lord Tytos. "I have four sons. Would you consider one of them instead? Ben is twelve and thirsty for adventure. He could squire for you if it please my lord."

"I have more squires than I know what to do with. Every time I take a piss, they fight for the right to hold my cock. And you have six sons, my lord, not four."

Bum wiper was a prized position held by a great lord and statesman in Charles I day, according to something I saw on Who do you think you are? I knew Henry VIII had one bit this was much later. They didn't call it that of course.

8 minutes ago, Castellan said:

Bum wiper was a prized position held by a great lord and statesman in Charles I day, according to something I saw on Who do you think you are? I knew Henry VIII had one bit this was much later. They didn't call it that of course.

"Groom of the stool". Although I'm not sure that the position involved physically wiping the king's backside, but rather holding the cloths used for the purpose and passing them to the king as needed (and presumably, removing them afterwards). It's not something I've researched properly, but it's hard to get reliable information on casually because the "check out this gross fact" sensationalism tends to dominate the field.

It was a prized position because it offered frequent opportunities for private conversations with the king, something that was otherwise rare even for highly-placed courtiers.

In any case, Aerys probably wouldn't have used toilet paper, but rather some kind of cloth or other cleaning system which didn't require him to put his fingertips so close to the business end of things.

Just now, Adelstein said:

"Groom of the stool". Although I'm not sure that the position involved physically wiping the king's backside, but rather holding the cloths used for the purpose and passing them to the king as needed (and presumably, removing them afterwards). It's not something I've researched properly, but it's hard to get reliable information on casually because the "check out this gross fact" sensationalism tends to dominate the field.

It was a prized position because it offered frequent opportunities for private conversations with the king, something that was otherwise rare even for highly-placed courtiers.

In any case, Aerys probably wouldn't have used toilet paper, but rather some kind of cloth or other cleaning system which didn't require him to put his fingertips so close to the business end of things.

There was quite a description on Who do you think you are (yes, populist) and I think it involved the Groom of the stool doing the actual deed but perhaps I read that in. Yes, it allowed one person privacy with the King which was a rare invent indeed.

You would think Aerys would need someone to scratch him too, his fingers being too dangerous for the task.

I think just water and your fingers is used in some places today, in others things like corn husks or large leaves.

On 2/21/2023 at 5:40 PM, Angel Eyes said:

Although Jaime lost one hand, he still had his other hand so he was good to go 

I didn't take that literally. He means they are underfoot trying to be helpful. Pour your wine make your bed polish your armour. he probably has to dream up things for them to do but I will not believe Jaime has a penis holder for the purposes of urination.

Archived