GOT Musings

The Bard of Banefort

On 2/4/2024 at 3:55 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

Looking back at the Tamzin Merchant recasting mystery, I would guess that the most likely reason she was replaced was probably just that she wanted more money. It would explain why everyone was so cagey about the recasting (salaries aren’t something that’s really discussed publicly), and why the other “established actresses” who were offered the role before Emilia turned it down. Pretty much all of the young cast in season one was unknowns who likely weren’t getting paid much by Hollywood standards. (And just speaking from my own experience in the job market, I have definitely noticed that the lower I put my “desired salary” on a job application, the more likely I am to get an interview. I’ve heard similar things from other people.)

Bingo

• 2 weeks later...

I've stated this before in this HoTD Musings thread but I'm concerned about where they are going to take HoTD

It seems like D&D gave Rhaenyra's ending to Daenerys (promising start with a bad end, became a cruel dictator, murdered by a blood relative because of the schemes of jealous people) which has basically made Daenerys' book ending unnecessarily complicated but is slated to make HoTD look bad.

smh

On 2/21/2024 at 6:19 PM, BlackLightning said:

I've stated this before in this HoTD Musings thread but I'm concerned about where they are going to take HoTD

It seems like D&D gave Rhaenyra's ending to Daenerys (promising start with a bad end, became a cruel dictator, murdered by a blood relative because of the schemes of jealous people) which has basically made Daenerys' book ending unnecessarily complicated but is slated to make HoTD look bad.

smh

I also think that the two D’s saw cruelty and duplicity as legitimate, when practised by, or on behalf of,  House Stark or House Lannister, but not otherwise.

That’s why the argument “you should have seen it coming” fails, in relation to Daenerys.  If putting people to death, often very brutally, is justified to exact revenge on those who have wronged your family, or to advance your family’s interests, it is certainly justified in the cause of liberating slaves.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2024 at 1:19 PM, BlackLightning said:

smh

I think HOTD is trying to set up Rhaenyra’s downfall as her being destroyed by the patriarchy, rather than having her actually be cruel or incompetent. Same with Alicent.