How Come Robert Didn't cut Himself on the Iron Throne?

Corvo the Crow

On 10/14/2023 at 10:53 AM, Lee-Sensei said:

The kingdom was largely ruined when he got it. The only big change was that Robert racked up debt, but the crown's incomes increased too. If he'd inherited it from Jaeherys the Wise or Daeron the Good, I'd definitely agree.

@Alester Florent I'd agree that Aerys was a good king up until Duskendale. Even if he left most of the governing up to Tywin. I'd disagree with Ned and Stannis tearing up the kingdom. I'd put the blame for that on Cersei primarily with Littlefinger and Jaime in the mix.

King Aerys II left behind a very rich kingdom. The problems of Westeros, including the war of the five kings, are the fault of the Baratheons, Starks, Greyjoys, and Lannisters. The throne should have cut Robert to pieces. 

On 10/22/2023 at 7:54 PM, Darth Sidious said:

King Aerys II left behind a very rich kingdom. The problems of Westeros, including the war of the five kings, are the fault of the Baratheons, Starks, Greyjoys, and Lannisters. The throne should have cut Robert to pieces. 

And yet it didn't. Aerys tore the kingdom apart and the War of the Five Kings is overwhelmingly on the Lannisters.

Robert was a skilled warrior, so he likely was more aware of his body in the rare instances that he sat on the Iron Throne.  With the exception of Maegor the Cruel, the kings that tended to cut themselves were not especially known for their fighting prowess and had seen little to no combat personally.  Robert had.

Edited by aeverett

• 3 weeks later...