GRRM's Habit of Cloning Main Series Characters, for his History Books

sifth

Anyone else notice how GRRM seems to have a habit of basically just copying characters from his main series, slightly tweets their backstories and just inserts them into his history books. The Laughing Storm basically is Robert 2.0 and Larys is basically just Varys and Littlefinger combined into one person. 

Edited by sifth

39 minutes ago, sifth said:

Anyone else notice how GRRM seems to have a habit of basically just copying characters from his main series, slightly tweets their backstories and just inserts them into his history books. The Laughing Storm basically is Robert 2.0 and Larys is basically just Varys and Littlefinger combined into one person. 

Hes an old man with a lot on...l

Hes gonna phone it in from time to time

1 hour ago, sifth said:

Apparently he also recycles characters and even their names from his older series.

1 hour ago, Craving Peaches said:

Renly = Who?

I need to know.

Laenor maybe? But that’s me being generous for your sake.

I could be snarky and say Renly just wasn’t important or interesting enough to be recycled but I don’t want to pick a fight with you. I’d prefer to keep my chats with you peachy (pun intended)

Edited by James Steller

Just now, James Steller said:

I could be snarky and say Renly just wasn’t important or interesting enough to be recycled

:angry:

but I don’t want to pick a fight with you. I’d prefer to keep my chats with you peachy (pun intended)

:laugh:

Laenor maybe?

Come on, Renly is a superior character. He has numerous witty quotes, more charisma, best suit of armour (or maybe joint best with Victarion's), etc...

7 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

:angry:

:laugh:

Come on, Renly is a superior character. He has numerous witty quotes, more charisma, best suit of armour (or maybe joint best with Victarion's), etc...

On the other hand, Laenor has a dragon, lol

33 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I’ll give you that. Renly does have some funny moments. I’d say his funniest moment was him absolutely busting a gut during the whole Joffrey/Arya situation.

I just can’t think of who else resembles him. 

42 minutes ago, James Steller said:

I just can’t think of who else resembles him. (Renly)

In a kind of shallow sense, Daeron Targaryen.

7 hours ago, sifth said:

In fairness, I think a big part of ASoIaF is reusing archetypes/patterns in slightly different ways. This applies to characters and plotlines. In my personal opinion, this is at times a great strength and at others seems a little weak, but I do think it's intentional.

"The dragon is time. It has no beginning and no ending, so all things come round again. Anders Yronwood is Criston Cole reborn. He whispers in my brother's ear that he should rule after my father, that it is not right for men to kneel to women . . . that Arianne especially is unfit to rule, being the willful wanton that she is." She tossed her hair defiantly. "So your two princesses share a common cause, ser . . . and they share as well a knight who claims to love them both, but will not fight for them."

Edited by Mourning Star

Absolutely. And where the arc of the corresponding character in the main novels has yet to end, I am assuming we should interpret the arc of the corresponding character in the ancillary texts as a foreshadowing of what will happen in the main novels.