Who are your favorite characters and why?

Back in Black-Snow

I do not wish to get into a "this person is morally good/bad" argument, although if you wish to include that in your comments, feel free to do so.

I would rather focus on who you like based on how they are written by the author.

So let's get to it!

Mine are (in no particular order):

1. Tyrion - I like Tyrion primarily because of his wit, sarcastic humor, and because he is written as a grey/slightly dark/sometimes dark character that many, if not most, of us can empathize/sympathize with.

2. Jon Snow - I like Jon Snow because, although he is embittered and cursed as a bastard in Westeros, he nonetheless takes his role in life seriously, and always tries to do what he believes is the right thing to do in any particular situation (whether or not we readers agree with his decisions).

3. Tywin - The man is an absolute brutal savage with no heart or sympathy towards others. Not even his own children. But he knows how to get things done. And he has said several things that are wise and practical.

4. Davos - Should I really have to spell this out here?

5. Cersi - I think she is a dispiccable human being, but I can absolutely understand why she does what she does and says what she says. KIND OF like Tyrion.

* I didn't include any textual support , but I do plan to once we determine whether this post is dead on arrival or not.

** Please feel free to use all means you deem necessary to analyze/support your comments. Let's just not make this into a "good guy vs. bad guy" debate, please.

Thanks to all who choose to participate.

EDITED to correct spelling error.

Edited by Back in Black-Snow
Spelling error

1. Renly - witty, charismatic, delegates positions well, politically astute, is a competent person in power who does not rely on Tywin's strategy to maintain control, but at the same time is not weighed down by honour in the way Ned was, best choice of King to hold he Realm together for Winter, R.I.P.

2. Renly - see above.

3. 'Renly' - very convincing impression of the real Renly, bravely gave his life to protect the real one.

4. Jon - Tries to do the right thing despite how he was treated badly by certain people, sees the bigger picture, promotes meritocracy.

5. Edmure - Sweet and good natured despite being in a position of power, but is not an idiot either.

Honourable Mentions: Brienne (roughly same reasons as Edmure), Ser Courtnay (great man), Catelyn (because we get to see lots of Renly through her POV), Salladhor Saan (just so funny, shameless pirate), Victarion (just funny).

Edited by Craving Peaches

59 minutes ago, Back in Black-Snow said:

Let's just not make this into a "good guy vs. bad guy" debate, please.

Oh you asked for it! lol
(in order)
1. I agree, its gotta be the Imp. By far the funniest character, but its more than that too his plot I think is one of the most interesting as well. Not the most though, that is I think his wife. I also cant really see him as a bad guy, a tortured soul no doubt but if a Lannister pays his debts whyd he save Jorah?
2. The wife. Probably around late asos she crept up to the pantheon, just so much of asoiaf happens because Sansa breaths. Shes like Kevin Bacon, if eveyone around Kevin Bacon died. But again like her husband she looks out for her enemies, saving Lancel at BW while Cersei (politically astute) wanted him to bleed out. Sansas funny but not to the same degree, though that can be because she doesnt talk much.
3. Ramsay. Whenever people hear Im a Rams fan theyre usually like "oh your a psychopath", which is like not the reason (well maybe not the only reason). The way hes written, not in acok (whos still wonderfully written) but in adwd hes like fucking dracula. Can I hate Dracula, I feel like hes kinda beyond hate, hes just terrifying. But then when looking at what Ramsay does and how he does it, it fits some type of pattern. Hes not just a monster, honestly if I could count Reek as Ramsay too then he probably becomes my second favorite character.

Thats the pantheon, but I have room in my heart for second tier favs as well. 

4. Theon. I mean, gotta count Reek somehwere. Again even in acok he was high up there in the entertainment department, I think a big reason why Greyjoy is my favorite house is because they remind me of Theon, but come adwd and Theon enters a different department. GRRM's writings on Tyrion and Arya I think are consistently the best, most of my favorite literary passages are in their povs (tyrion talking to any sibling is fantastic, Arya talking to and witnessing Sandor is also a fav of mine) but Theons adwd povs are just super saiyan. Maybe its the Winterfell that brings GRRM alive?
5. Arya. Part of it I think is shes a little girl whos always sad and stuff so I just wanna hug her and tell her itll be fine, but it probably wont. If asoiaf didnt exist and we were only given povs as their own Arya alone could stack as her own story, shes got the politics the magic the wolf. Shes like that old Nike commercial, anything you can do I can do better. 
6. Dany. I mean, pick a tougher princess. The khalessi. Funny, engaging, inspiring, the mental image of Emilia Clarke. Whats not to love?

Not favs, but I love em anyway, in no order Danys whole crew minus Selmy and Missandi (theyre ok), Mance, Sandor, Victarion, Cersei, Cat, Petyr and Moonnboy for all I know

49 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

just so much of asoiaf happens because Sansa breaths. Shes like Kevin Bacon, if eveyone around Kevin Bacon died.

Thanks for your response. I really like it. But I especially like what I quote above.

Just a sidenote question (meant for everyone, not just you):

How many other Kevan Bacons do we have in this story?

(Yes, let's go there, but let's not get TOO far off topic)

You gotta love Kevin Bacon.

Stannis Baratheon: A fascinating portrayal of a good man with serious flaws that threaten to undermine anything he wants to do. He has one of my favourite character arcs in fantasy lit, never mind this series. Stannis defies people’s assumptions. He is described as humourless, but he has some of the funniest lines in the books. He is derided as being friendless, inspiring no loyalty, even as he wins the loyalty of men and lords alike, in victory and in defeat. He is one of the few men in the story who doesn’t judge based on rank or titles, and he alone has no interest in playing a dirty game. All things considered, I find his flaws and his potential downfall to be tragic more than anything.

Aegon III: Fire and Blood was a great book, not least of which because it made me really appreciate Aegon the Dragonbane. He shares a lot in common with Stannis, but not too much that he’s a carbon copy. He is a tragic figure, and after so many years of manipulation and neglect, it was so satisfying to see him take charge of his life. 

Edmure Tully: another character which the abomination destroyed. He is hotheaded and proud, but he is also perhaps the only lord in the Seven Kingdoms who actually cares about his own people. It is sometimes to his detriment, of course, but I will always respect him for it.

Tywin and Cersei Lannister: if we’re going by the OP’s standards, I think Tywin and Cersei are two of the best written villains I’ve come across in literature. They both do evil things and feel utterly justified in doing so because of pride, ambition, or even madness. They are blind to their own faults, their own hypocrisies, and their own mistakes. I have no problem despising them, and I take great schadenfreude in their destructions.

Wyman Manderly: Wyman is an underrated figure, given how clever he is and also how loyal he is to House Stark. It’s nice to see him subvert expectations and I look forward to seeing him emerge on top when all his enemies find out just who they’ve been dealing with.

Varys : Dorne tries to make plots for revenge, meanwhile the spider makes Tyrek disappear, sends Tyrion in Tywin chambers and kills Kevan himself.

The Conqueror : there is nothing to say, a Chad.

Daeron I : Alexander the Great and Julius Caesar in 1 person.

Wyman Manderly : Stark loyalist, he avenged his son by eating Freys and pooping them 

1 hour ago, Back in Black-Snow said:

Thanks for your response. I really like it. But I especially like what I quote above.

Just a sidenote question (meant for everyone, not just you):

How many other Kevan Bacons do we have in this story?

(Yes, let's go there, but let's not get TOO far off topic)

You gotta love Kevin Bacon.

Lol, yea I think it's gotta stay Sansa and Tyrion as I'm convinced they're the main characters of asoiaf. Although everyone tells me it's Jon, but deep down I know it's still Bran... Anyway, nobody knows everyone like these two come in my castle pros and they really do move the cyvasse board more then any other character. Petyr and Varys too, but for the most their biggest contributions are still when they help/hurt Sansa and Tyrion.

But also Cersei, who of course is the ultimate antagonist to Sansa and Tyrion.

1 hour ago, James Steller said:

Stannis Baratheon: A fascinating portrayal of a good man with serious flaws that threaten to undermine anything he wants to do. He has one of my favourite character arcs in fantasy lit, never mind this series. Stannis defies people’s assumptions. He is described as humourless, but he has some of the funniest lines in the books. He is derided as being friendless, inspiring no loyalty, even as he wins the loyalty of men and lords alike, in victory and in defeat. He is one of the few men in the story who doesn’t judge based on rank or titles, and he alone has no interest in playing a dirty game. All things considered, I find his flaws and his potential downfall to be tragic more than anything.

Aegon III: Fire and Blood was a great book, not least of which because it made me really appreciate Aegon the Dragonbane. He shares a lot in common with Stannis, but not too much that he’s a carbon copy. He is a tragic figure, and after so many years of manipulation and neglect, it was so satisfying to see him take charge of his life. 

I really like the connection you made here. I hadn't really intended to bring characters outside the main series into this, but I am glad you did.

1. Jon Snow : He shares a lot of personality traits with me

2. Ned Stark : The father I would have liked to have

3. Tyrion Lannister : I love his sharp tongue and he's funny

4. Arya Stark : I like her adventurous side and her relationship with Jon

5. Edmure Tully : A lord who cares about smallfolk and do everything he can to protect them, of course I'll like him

3 minutes ago, Willam Stark said:

1. Jon Snow : He shares a lot of personality traits with me

2. Ned Stark : The father I would have liked to have

3. Tyrion Lannister : I love his sharp tongue and he's funny

4. Arya Stark : I like her adventurous side and her relationship with Jon

5. Edmure Tully : A lord who cares about smallfolk and do everything he can to protect them, of course I'll like him

I can include all of these people on my list for the same reasons.

I must admit I am not good at making quotes from the text because I never quite learned how to do that on a technical level. So do we hav anyone who is willing to demonstrate "in the text" what impresses you most about these characters?

Again, I would rather this focus on how the character is written, NOT whether or not the character is morally good or bad.

Again, thanks.

Jaime Lannister: I love the turn of tables that overtakes him after he lost the two things that had defined him his entire life: his skill with a sword and his incestous relationship with Cersei.

Sansa Stark: The naive little girl who had all of dreams shattered having to learn to play the grown-up game and potentially outwitting her tutor, that's my thing.

Brynden Rivers: What can I say? He makes horny.

Edited by Odej

33 minutes ago, Back in Black-Snow said:

I must admit I am not good at making quotes from the text because I never quite learned how to do that on a technical level. So do we hav anyone who is willing to demonstrate "in the text" what impresses you most about these characters?

Again, I would rather this focus on how the character is written, NOT whether or not the character is morally good or bad.

Again, thanks.

There is no need for more descriptions about Aegon the Conqueror and Daeron I. 

Aegon the Conqueror conquered for a Dream, and considered necessary to unite the 7 kingdoms, Daeron wrote the De Bello gallico of asoiaf After conquering Dorne without dragons, Varys had more balls than an entire kingdom and Wyman Manderly made those pig pies and offered them to the Boltons

Then there is Lady Stoneheart : no more mistakes, only ropes to hang the enemies

Edited by KingAerys_II

10 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

Wyman Manderly is like Hannibal Lecter. 

Then there is Lady Stoneheart : no more mistakes, only ropes to hang the enemies

I see, I see. What say you of Crater? Good or bad, would you say he is a well written character, even though we only get to see him for a small handful of pages?

What is it with him anyway? Surely he wasn't just some random character to introduce Gilly to us and provide some background information to the readers. Surely there is something more going on here. But I digress.

Edited by Back in Black-Snow
Edit to add question at the end.