Cricket 45: World Cup Fever

Paxter

The wheels are coming off a bit for England at the end here. Everyone out there looks absolutely exhausted but it’s probably a bit more of a problem if you’re trying to run in and bowl fast.

ETA: And that's pretty much the end of England's World Cup you'd think.

Edited by ljkeane

Haven't been following limited overs cricket all that much but... wtf happened to England? I recall them being a world-class limited overs outfit and would've put them down as shoe-ins, along with New Zealand and India, to make the semis.

SA are weird. Put up big scores against Sri Lanka, Australia and England and a complete disaster class against the weakest side they faced.

5 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Haven't been following limited overs cricket all that much but... wtf happened to England? I recall them being a world-class limited overs outfit and would've put them down as shoe-ins, along with New Zealand and India, to make the semis.

SA are weird. Put up big scores against Sri Lanka, Australia and England and a complete disaster class against the weakest side they faced.

England have not played much 50-over cricket since the end of the last World Cup. The focus shifted to T20 and test matches, which was probably the right move, but has had an equal and opposite effect on the middle format. 

Anyway that was a truly shambolic performance by England. I think the top four is firming up now? India, NZ, SA, Aus.

An antipodean delight. 

Looks like what has been a great limited overs generation for England has reached the end of the line. I was a bit concerned about the bowling coming into the tournament but I thought the batting would be fine, it appears that everything is falling apart though.

10 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Shaping up to be a decent match between New Zealand and Australia. My main takeaway though is that Dharamshala is a very scenic cricket ground. Looks like a great place to watch some cricket.

It seems to have been a day for narrow defeats at World Cups for New Zealand, although I imagine the other one will hurt more.

50 minutes ago, williamjm said:

It seems to have been a day for narrow defeats at World Cups for New Zealand, although I imagine the other one will hurt more.

Huh, I actually stopped watching after Ravindra was out, too much other sport on and I assumed it was over, obviously I should have had more confidence in the Kiwi tail.

9 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Huh, I actually stopped watching after Ravindra was out, too much other sport on and I assumed it was over, obviously I should have had more confidence in the Kiwi tail.

They do bat very deep with Neesham (who nearly got them over the line) and Santner coming in at 7 and 8.

Ravindra looks like he could have a great career ahead of him.

Edited by williamjm

Good effort with the ball for England against India to give themselves a chance to at least get a little bit of consolation from this tournament.

ETA: Root and Stokes are basically in this England team for conditions like this, low scoring matches were England have to slow it down a bit. Zero runs between them today. It really has been a disaster of a World Cup.

Edited by ljkeane

After Afghanistan's win against Netherland, I was trying to see if there was a way they could qualify even after losing their next 2 to AUS and SA (a realistic outcome) and the answer is its...tough. For this to happen, NZ would have to lose to PK, and then to SL; ENG would have to wallop PK, and the net run rates would have to work out as well.

Best outcome for them would be to beat SA, which can happen as the latter lost to the Netherlands as well...