Name the Stage Play (The Real One. About Harrenhal Tourney)

Hippocras

GRRM recently mentioned meeting with the creators of the stage play that will cover the tourney at Harrenhal.

The original working title was “Harrenhal”. Currently they are using “The Iron Throne”.

What do you think this play should be called? My idea: they should call it “The False Spring”.

Edited by Hippocras

I really think he ought to name it THE DRAGON IN WINTER, as an allusion to The Lion in Winter, because it'll be the same sort of thing: a royal family at each other's throats for a few days, while plots are hatched, discovered, succeed or fail all around them.

Remember it is a False Spring because it is actually still winter.

Edited by SpaceChampion

9 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

I really think he ought to name it THE DRAGON IN WINTER, as an allusion to The Lion in Winter, because it'll be the same sort of thing: a royal family at each other's throats for a few days, while plots are hatched, discovered, succeed or fail all around them.

Remember it is a False Spring because it is actually still winter.

But it only became known as the false spring later, when winter returned w/ a vengeance. During the tourney it was all lovely and warm, it would be weird to have winter in the name imo. 

No, the characters don't have to approve of the title. Still, it's pretty weird to have a play set for all intents and purposes in spring but the title is Winter XYZ. 

Anyhoo, defo not a hill I'm willing to die on or fight for. 

55 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Is this stage play supposed to be coming out before or after The Winds of Winter?

He said late 2024 for the play, so.... 
We don't have particularly optimistic updates on WoW, but it is theoretically possible they will come out around the same time. He met with his UK publishers on this trip too, which could mean anything.

Edited by Hippocras

13 hours ago, Hippocras said:

GRRM recently mentioned meeting with the creators of the stage play that will cover the tourney at Harrenhal.

The original working title was “Harrenhal”. Currently they are using “The Iron Throne”.

What do you think this play should be called? My idea: they should call it “The False Spring”.

The Red Wedding and it focuses in on rhe Red Wedding and just ends after the Red Wedding. It’s a tragedy.lol

Crouching Lion, Hidden Dragon

Brandon and Ned's Excellent Adventure

Love is a Many-Splendored King

"But seriously," that tournament seems like an odd subject for a drama, since nothing happened there that was very, y'know, dramatic. Yes, things happened that led to rebellion, war, and upheaval; but those came much later.

And of course, a play doesn't have locations or special effects. I'll guess that it will focus in on one or two characters, and imagine things that are not on any of the George's pages: conflicts and romances, promises and threats. Do we know any more about the story line? I wonder if Ashara Dayne will play a role?

And as for the title, I'll just opine that it needs to contain at least one word that links it to fantasy or medieval history: king, throne, dragon, etc. "The False Spring"  has several good qualities, but it's too vague; only those of us who have read the books would get the reference.

Edited by Aebram

On 12/7/2023 at 3:31 PM, Hippocras said:

The False Spring is most poetic. But the Iron Throne will bring in the fans.

On 12/11/2023 at 1:37 PM, Hippocras said:

A play about someone trying to write it as a comedy could be a comedy though.

Give it to The Goes Wrong Show, they would make it funny as hell. Chris Bean, playing Rhaegar, would be wearing an ill-designed helmet that obscures his vision, and instead of laying the crown of roses on Lyanna's (Sandra's) lap, he'd instead mistakenly give it to Robert Baratheon (regular Robert).

Edit: Annie playing Robert Baratheon would be even funnier.

Edited by Ser Arthurs Dawn

11 hours ago, Daendrew said:

The False Spring is most poetic. But the Iron Throne will bring in the fans.

I am just not sure it is the right title at all for an event set at Harrenhal. The throne is not even there.

I think that while a theatre show may bring in a certain proportion of the general GOT fan base, it will be the more intellectually inclined portion of that base, for whom a certain amount of poetry and inspiration is what they want. Noone expects really to get the same thing out of a theatre experience as a TV experience. and theatre often aims a tad more cerebral.

• 2 weeks later...