DC Cinematic Universe: Dragongirl of Steel

New Supergirl is Rhaenyra Targaryen! - https://variety.com/2024/film/news/supergirl-milly-alcock-james-gunn-1235891230/

Milly Alcock, who played the young Rhaenyra Targaryen in the first season of HBO’s “House of the Dragon,” will play the Woman of Steel in the new DC Universe spearheaded by James Gunn and Peter Safran. She will headline the upcoming feature film “Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow,” based on the DC comics run of the same name by Tom King and Bilquis Evely.

That project, however, does not yet have a director, and Ana Nogueira (“The Vampire Diaries”) was just hired to write the screenplay in November. Gunn, who confirmed Alcock’s casting on Instagram, has not stated when Alcock will make her superhero debut. But the fact that the news that Alcock landed the role broke months before Gunn will begin shooting “Superman: Legacy” suggests that Supergirl may first show up alongside her Kryptonian cousin before setting off on her own story.

• 5 weeks later...

They have now renamed Superman: Legacy to just SUPERMAN.

Makes sense.  I never understood why an origin story about a young Superman would have a “Legacy.”  There’s nothing there to live up to.

• 1 month later...

Had a long ass nap today, that I’m sure will tilt my wonky sleep patterns further, so while perusing headlines I saw something about Mark Miller maybe doing something Superman related once the IP hits the public domain and… I got some pretty conflicting feels going on.

As a creative copyright is a very important thing to me, yet I also believe it’s a good thing it eventually expires. And yet, I really don’t want to see everyone’s grasping little fingerprints all over Superman.

I really don’t.

4 hours ago, JGP said:

Had a long ass nap today, that I’m sure will tilt my wonky sleep patterns further, so while perusing headlines I saw something about Mark Miller maybe doing something Superman related once the IP hits the public domain and… I got some pretty conflicting feels going on.

As a creative copyright is a very important thing to me, yet I also believe it’s a good thing it eventually expires. And yet, I really don’t want to see everyone’s grasping little fingerprints all over Superman.

I really don’t.

I’d just as soon he find something that diverges from any capes. I’m incredibly tired of the ultra-cynical perspective that seems to be so prevalent in his work (that I’ve read or seen adapted).  I have a fairly healthy comics blind spot due to time away/mostly away for kids but Old Man Logan (I’m a sucker for that kind of story (see also The Last Avengers Story)), Kingsmen and Red Son. Skipped Kick-Ass entirely due to the cover to cover JRJR spew. 

Besides, didn’t he already do a take on Superman with Homelander, or is that just the Amazon adaptation?

The Boys was an Ennis creation. 

For me  it's less about Miller and more about everyone. I mean, in 33 Superman is anyone's to fuck with. Marvel, Netflix, whoever. However. 

And I'm feeling weirdly precious about that lol

9 hours ago, JGP said:

The Boys was an Ennis creation. 

For me  it's less about Miller and more about everyone. I mean, in 33 Superman is anyone's to fuck with. Marvel, Netflix, whoever. However. 

And I'm feeling weirdly precious about that lol

Whoops!  I’ll confess, I don’t much like Ennis doing capes either. 

I get where you’re coming from there, thinking about John Oliver’s piece with Steamboat Willy.