The second head of Trios.

In Braavos, three-headed Trios has a tower with three turrets.

1. The first head devours the dying
  2. The second head ....  ???
  3. The third is where those reborn emerge

One time, the girl remembered, the Sailor's Wife had walked her rounds with her and told her tales of the city's stranger gods. "That is the house of the Great Shepherd. Three-headed Trios has that tower with three turrets. The first head devours the dying, and the reborn emerge from the third. I don't know what the middle head's supposed to do. - The Ugly Little Girl

He also has a temple in Tyrosh. Penny's tale, ADWD:

We went to Tyrosh first. My brother thought that would be far enough, but it wasn't. We knew a juggler there. For years and years he would juggle every day by the Fountain of the Drunken God. He was old, so his hands were not as deft as they had been, and sometimes he would drop his balls and chase them across the square, but the Tyroshi would laugh and throw him coins all the same. Then one morning we heard that his body had been found at the Temple of Trios. Trioshas three heads, and there's a big statue of him beside the temple doors. The old man had been cut into three parts and pushed inside the threefold mouths of Trios. Only when the parts were sewn back together, his head was gone." - Tyrion VIII

What is the second head meant to do? Any thoughts?

The Tree(os) has three heads! 

This sounds like the journey of a greenseer. Death and re-birth. Giving up ones life to go into the tree (death) Then reborn as a greenseer.

Perhaps the second head represents joining the hive mind or the greenseer training? :D

Edited by Wizz-The-Smith

19 hours ago, Sandy Clegg said:

Transformation.

Devours > Transforms > Rebirths

As illustrated here:

19 hours ago, Sandy Clegg said:

The old man had been cut into three parts and pushed inside the threefold mouths of Trios. Only when the parts were sewn back together, his head was gone." - Tyrion VIII

The old man is "devoured," transformed into three parts and reassembled, emerging changed, without his head. 

Maybe it has to do with the journey of a greenseer as @Wizz-The-Smith suggests. Another thought: could be a clue to the process by which the undead are revived? The souls of the dying are consumed, then transformed, and they are "reborn" witless, mindless, (symbolized by the old man's missing head), no longer in control of their actions, but controlled / absolutely obiedient to another, like the wights but thinking also of Gregor/Robert Strong here. 

Edited by Evolett

4 hours ago, Evolett said:

The souls of the dying are consumed, then transformed, and they are "reborn" witless, mindless, (symbolized by the old man's missing head), no longer in control of their actions, but controlled / absolutely obiedient to another, like the wights but thinking also of Gregor/Robert Strong here. 

I was thinking it has to be a clue to the way the big 'magical processes' work too. It could equally be related to the Fire end of that spectrum, though. Dragon bonding rituals probably demand sacrifice, consuming one 'head'. 

14 hours ago, Sandy Clegg said:

I was thinking it has to be a clue to the way the big 'magical processes' work too. It could equally be related to the Fire end of that spectrum, though. Dragon bonding rituals probably demand sacrifice, consuming one 'head'. 

I've also thought of Trios as a reference to "the dragon has three heads," perhaps to the riddle of the Sphinx - three body parts that are reassembled to a whole, though I'm not sure how the dwarf's missing head would fit into that idea unless the "Sphinx" receives a brand new head of it's own. This also follows the idea of transformation. 

9 hours ago, Evolett said:

I'm not sure how the dwarf's missing head would fit into that idea unless the "Sphinx" receives a brand new head of it's own. This also follows the idea of transformation. 

One head is absorbed?

On 4/17/2024 at 5:53 AM, Wizz-The-Smith said:

This sounds like the journey of a greenseer. Death and re-birth. Giving up ones life to go into the tree (death) Then reborn as a greenseer.

Perhaps the second head represents joining the hive mind or the greenseer training

It makes me think of the three forks of the psi-trident (which I think are different weirwood bloodlines).

Remember that one of the prongs on the trident of Old Fishfoot in White Harbor was broken off. It doesn't specify the middle prong, but otherwise fits. The Titan of Braavos and Old Fishfoot both have heavy Garth parallels, so why not Trios as well?

Of course, my interpretation is likely colored by Crowfood's Daughter's recent video, which is about the cataclysmic poisoning of the weirwoods in Asshai. In that case, the missing/broken head of Trios would be the rupture and transformation of Team Green in Asshai into the nearly dead Shade Trees.

Edited by Phylum of Alexandria
link

On 4/17/2024 at 4:53 PM, Wizz-The-Smith said:

Perhaps the second head represents joining the hive mind or the greenseer training? :D

The giant weirwood in Whitetree had human remains inside.  The two religions have the same ritual.  It doesn't work or else too many of the walking dead will be around but it is the  belief which gives the ritual importance.  Like a Catholic mass.  Do the wafers and wine really turn to flesh?  No but it is still practiced to this day. 

On 4/17/2024 at 2:59 PM, Sandy Clegg said:

In Braavos, three-headed Trios has a tower with three turrets.

1. The first head devours the dying
  2. The second head ....  ???
  3. The third is where those reborn emerge

One time, the girl remembered, the Sailor's Wife had walked her rounds with her and told her tales of the city's stranger gods. "That is the house of the Great Shepherd. Three-headed Trios has that tower with three turrets. The first head devours the dying, and the reborn emerge from the third. I don't know what the middle head's supposed to do. - The Ugly Little Girl

He also has a temple in Tyrosh. Penny's tale, ADWD:

We went to Tyrosh first. My brother thought that would be far enough, but it wasn't. We knew a juggler there. For years and years he would juggle every day by the Fountain of the Drunken God. He was old, so his hands were not as deft as they had been, and sometimes he would drop his balls and chase them across the square, but the Tyroshi would laugh and throw him coins all the same. Then one morning we heard that his body had been found at the Temple of Trios. Trioshas three heads, and there's a big statue of him beside the temple doors. The old man had been cut into three parts and pushed inside the threefold mouths of Trios. Only when the parts were sewn back together, his head was gone." - Tyrion VIII

A resurrection gone wrong is what it looks like.  A try that went awry.