" I just bought"

Calibandar

I stopped in half price books over lunch to look for some Williams to take to the signing on Thursday. I found a copy of Shadowplay on sale for 1/2 off already!

Shadowplay by Tad Williams

Vellum ARC by Hal Duncan

System of the World by Neal Stephenson

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

Jennifer Government by Max Berry

I have a book buying addiction.

Some good books there, man.

Well, I needed to stock up on reading material since I'll be stuck in nowhere, Illinois this spring break to pick up some extra hours at work, so a-blog-perusing I went. You lot haven't let me down yet, so I'm feeling pretty good about it. :)

My first-ever review batch turned up:

The Last Wish by 'Polish master of fantasy' Andrzej Sapkowski

I was told by people who place LOTR and The Great Book of Amber at the top fantasy list, that this series is so good as to put it in between LOTR and The Great Book of Amber. It is 7 books finished series if I am not mistaken. I plan to read it later.

Recent purchases:

The Essential Ellison - Harlan Ellison (Ordered from bokkilden.no some ~5 minutes ago) (Trade paperback)

Johnny Got His Gun - Dalton Trumbo (Paperback)

A Feast for Crows - GRRM (I already have the HC, but I didn't much feel like rereading it in that format) (Paperback)

Looking for Jake - China Mieville (Paperback)

The crying of lot 49 - Thomas Pynchon (Paperback)

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson (Paperback)

Dreamsong: A RRetrospective - GRRM (Hardcover)

Roadside Picnic - Arkady and Boris Strugatsky (Paperback)

The Road - Cormac McCarthy (Hardcover)

Fevre Dream - GRRM (Paperback)

The Armageddon Rag - GRRM (Trade paperback)

A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole (Paperback)

The Thousandfold Thought - R. Scott Bakker (Trade Paperback)

Ulysses - James Joyce (Paperback)

Altered Carbon - Richard Morgan (Paperback)

Broken Angels - Richard Morgan (Paperback)

Woken Furies - Richard Morgan (Paperback)

No Country for Old Men - Cormac McCarthy (Paperback)

The First Book of Lankhmar - Fritz Leiber (Paperback)

Oblivion - David Foster Wallace (Paperback)

March purchases....

Temeraire Throne of Jade - Novik (hardback)

Temeraire Black Powder War - Novik (hardback)

Sebastian - Bishop (hardback)

Wintersmith - Pratchett (trade paperback)

The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse - Rankin (paperback)

The Accidental - Ali Smith (paperback)

The Winter Queen - Akunin (paperback)

The Blade Itself - Abercrombie (paperback)

A quiet month for me so far - darn bills

My first-ever review batch turned up:

Black Man by Richard Morgan

The Prefect by Alastair Reynolds

Selling Out by Justina Robson

The Last Wish by 'Polish master of fantasy' Andrzej Sapkowski

You too, huh? I got the same batch, but without the Polish one. Black Man's first up. Anyone know anything about Justina Robson? This book is the second in a series but I haven't read the first one; is it any good?

Bought some more books today.

The Crooked Letter by Sean Williams

The Urth of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe

Empire of Ice Cream by Jeffrey Ford

The Ghost Brigades by John Scalzi

Necromancer by William Gibson

Let's see, in the last month I have bought

Quartet (#250ish)- GRRM

A Game of Thrones (Silver foil)- GRRM

Legends II (signed Silverberg, Martin, Hobb)- Silverberg

A Storm of Swords (#2)- SubPress GRRM

A Clash of Kings (#209)- SubPress GRRM

The Hedge Knight (Marvel HC)- GRRM

Legends I and II- reading copies

Jonah Hex: Two Gun Mojo- Lansdale

Freezer Burn- Lansdale

The Boar- Lansdale

Christ the Lord- Rice

That's off of the top of my head. Obviously, I just started collecting the Martin books, but I feel like I have gotten myself off to a pretty good start, and Lansdale is someone I have been meaning to read for quite some time, but there is only so much time in the day!! Anne Rice- well, I have all of her other books, so I might as well give it a shot... I think there are a couple more used cheapies that I just wanted to read, but they're not coming to me at the moment.

Anyone know anything about Justina Robson? This book is the second in a series but I haven't read the first one; is it any good?

Unknown, but I picked it up today. Today's purchases (shouldn't have done it with seven other books on the list, but what the hell?) were:

Keeping It Real by Justina Robson

World War 2.2: Weapons of Choice by John Birmingham (NATO naval flotilla thrown back in time from 2021 and ends up in WWII: trashy but sounds fun)

Anyone know anything about Justina Robson? This book is the second in a series but I haven't read the first one; is it any good?

I've only read Mappa Mundi by her and it was solid hard SF that I'd happily recommend (review). My understanding is that though it's good, it's not her best. Jay knows more, I think he's read all her books. Pat also reviewed the first book in this series the other day.

Robson has just started blogging again after a hiatus - she talks about the series in her first 'new' entry.

I've got a package from Gollancz on the way - it'll be interesting to see if I get the same books on this side of the pond as you did.

I just did the 3 for 2 deal at Waterstones

I bought:

Notes On A Scandal by Zoe Heller

We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Looking forward to a bit of spare time to get stuck into them.

These buys are awesome. More people should buy like Vestrit does, cos he's awesome

Picked up the first two volumes of Ex Machina: The First Hundred Days and Tag. It's a graphic novel by Brian Vaughn (Y: The Last Man) about the world's first superhero (who can speak to machines) becoming the Mayor of New York City, post-9/11. It's an excellent tale, lots of humor, action, and horror.

I also bought House of Leaves today. Holy... shit. It's like downloading shrooms into my optical nerves. :hat:

So today I finally gave in to the peer pressure here on board and bought The Lies of Locke Lamora (which I still cant stop calling "The Lies of Lamora Locke"). The new Gollancz size B paperback is a really attractive book; both in size and appearance.

I also bought Hyperion by Dan Simmons, which has only been on my to-buy list since I first heard of it sometime back in the late ninties.

Archived