The annoyingly perfect hero / heroine

Waterdancer

Jaenelle Angelline- Ok, she is pretty damn Mary Sue but somehow I don't mind it. It's done in such a way that I don't want to pull my hair out and actually kinda like the character.

Rhapsody-I think she takes the cake on this one. I hate that bitch.

Harrington- Very, very Mary Sue the only bad thing about her is that she is a cold blooded killer.

Anasurimbor Kellhus- Is not perfect there is not a perfect person in those books. He is always right and never loses but he is a moral black hole. Fucker is alien and not even human anymore.

The 'perfect' characters that bug me the most:

Aenea (Endymion series)

Holy crap, I so despised that character. Completely ruined that series for me, it should have ended with "Fall of Hyperion". The only reason I kept reading is that I knew she was going to die. I wish she had died sooner.

Other characters that I found so excruciatingly, ball-shrinkingly annoying are L. Ron Hubbard's "heroes" from both "Battlefield Earth" (Jonny Goodboy Tyler, who started off only slightly annoying but degenerated rapidly starting about midway through the book) and the "Mission: Earth" series (I mercifully forget the name of the "hero" but he was so obnoxiously perfect that I abandoned reading the series after the first book, which is something I've only very rarely done).

I also think Ayla from Jean Auel's "Clan of the Cave Bear" series is way too perfect. Without being spoilerish, there's a scene in the 2nd book in which she starts mimicking all sorts of animal sounds and attracts a crowd of animals--it reads like the novelization of Disney's "Snow White" (if such existed). I'm embarrassed on behalf of the author and editors for having that scene.

Drizzt do Urden from Salvatore´s books.

He can kills 10 giants with a dagger and can cast spells while doing back flips over clifs.

To be fair, he doesn't actually cast spells, presumably he doesn't have enough time to fit learning magic in between all his philosophising about the angst of always being judged on the colour of his skin.

Robert Langdon pisses me off. Jumping out of a helicopter and surviving, then hopping up and putting the smackdown on a guy trained from birth to be an assassin? Then in Da Vinci Code where he survives a million attacks from Opus Dei, Silas, the police, Teabing, and the pissed off ghost of Da Vinci. Really, just die already. Then he winds up in the laps of two gorgeous women while discovering major mysteries. Blah. I was cheering when he nearly suffocated to death with a rotting corpse on top of him.

Phedre...I'm mixed on her. She has an ungodly amount of talents and tricks, while being physically beautiful and nigh indestructible. And she's arrogant to boot. But at the same time, yikes, she's overconfident and it gets people around her killed. She picks battles with people who she should try to ally with. She can't bring herself to ever defeat the woman who murdered her adoptive father because of a twisted obsession/love for her. And she can be totally degraded but still feel it as pleasure. Like in the third book where she couldn't help but enjoy that penis-sword thingy, even as it sawed her to pieces. Ouchies. That would suck, admitting that on some level, you liked being raped.

Eragon-- enough said.

I second Dany.

But double take and say WTF at Jon.

Jon is an unlucky idiot.

First his stepmother hates him for no reason, second says he wants to join the Nightswatch while pissed as a skunk and angry as hell to his idiot Uncle who blabs and he gets packed off to the arse end of the World.

He pissess people off, he got attacked by Zombies and nearly burnt his sword hand off killing them. He first chick is plain bordering on ugly, she gets killed and he gets stuck on the wall with the King Douche Stannis.

I also think Ayla from Jean Auel's "Clan of the Cave Bear" series is way too perfect. Without being spoilerish, there's a scene in the 2nd book in which she starts mimicking all sorts of animal sounds and attracts a crowd of animals--it reads like the novelization of Disney's "Snow White" (if such existed). I'm embarrassed on behalf of the author and editors for having that scene.

Her and Jondalar both. To be honest, I love the series, but more in a guilty pleasure sort of way. I KNOW it's atrocious writing (this one girl managed to discover fire, how babies are really made, animal domestication, etc. etc.), but it's entertaining. Although a little heavy graphically. I tend to skip that on a re-read.

My list includes:

Ginny

Eragon and Arya the Elf

Daenerys

Lessa

Kahlan

Elayne Trakand, Egwene al'Vere, Nynaeve al'Meara, Faile Bashere (okay, most of the females from WoT, but them especially!)

Not that it stops me from enjoying any of those books!! I wouldn't have gotten to know the characters well enough to hate them if I hadn't read the books. (I've read all of these at least twice, most of them much more than that. Except Goodkind, which I have only gone through once.)

Terry Goo... I mean Richard Rahl. Not that he's actually perfect. He's a fucking psychopath. But he is portrayed as perfect.

Damn! Erzulie beat me to it. But I'll say it anyway: Richard "I'm Morally Correct" Rahl and Kahlan "I'm Get Almost Raped".

Polgara the Sorceress

Mara Jade Skywalker :P

Anita Blake

Anne Ric-er, I mean, Rowan Mayfair.

Ayla came to my mind immediately after reading the thread title. She is by far the most annoyingly perfect hero I have ever read. In addition to the skills mentioned above and by Nora Stark, Ayla is an exceptional healer (didn't she invent stitches?), weapon-innovator, and bona-fide sex goddess. Ick.

Didn't she also ride on the back of a saber toothed tiger at one point?

The Old Testament God.

No way.

Even through I´m an atheist, The Old Testament God was pretty badass. He was more badass than Clint Eastwood and Chuck Norris.

Now, he punished the entire human race to eternal sufering and pain because Adam and Even ate a fruit.

He killed the entire population of the Earth and only left Noe, his family and a pair of each species to survive just because he was feeling in the mood.

He transformed Cain into a vampire and left him around with this curse to roam the earth and prey on the humans.

He raped Mary and left Jesus to die because he didnt want to bother paying for child suport.

Now, that is pretty badass if you ask me.

Ayla came to my mind immediately after reading the thread title. She is by far the most annoyingly perfect hero I have ever read. In addition to the skills mentioned above and by Nora Stark, Ayla is an exceptional healer (didn't she invent stitches?), weapon-innovator, and bona-fide sex goddess. Ick.

She or Jondalar invented almost everything that sprung up sometime between the prehistoric clans and the beginning of historic civilizations. And the random guy they meet who discovered coal.

Didn't she also ride on the back of a saber toothed tiger at one point?

It's a lion. And yes. She is the pioneer of animal domestication. Bet you didn't know that you can thank the rise of human civilization to one tall, leggy, blonde woman with a knack for languages?

Totally unrealistic, but that's why I call it "brain candy."

No way.

Even through I´m an atheist, The Old Testament God was pretty badass. He was more badass than Clint Eastwood and Chuck Norris.

Although I disagree with some of your points, I will admit the Old Testament God was pretty 'badass'.

Don't forget Moses and the Egypt thing, with the plagues and the killing of the firstborns. And the parting of the Red Sea.

I have to imagine most of us wanted to gangster slap Polgara "aunt Pol" the Sorceress at one point at least during the Belgariad....

Maybe its just me? :pirate::drunk:

No me too. I hate that character with a passion.

No way.

Now, he punished the entire human race to eternal sufering and pain because Adam and Even ate a fruit.

He killed the entire population of the Earth and only left Noe, his family and a pair of each species to survive just because he was feeling in the mood.

He transformed Cain into a vampire and left him around with this curse to roam the earth and prey on the humans.

He raped Mary and left Jesus to die because he didnt want to bother paying for child suport.

Now, that is pretty badass if you ask me.

I'd argue but I have to deal with a plague of mutant locusts right now.

I have to imagine most of us wanted to gangster slap Polgara "aunt Pol" the Sorceress at one point at least during the Belgariad....

Maybe its just me? :pirate::drunk:

I didn't want to slap her, but I did find her annoying.

Eragon. Dan Brown. Richard Rahl. And has anyone said Rhapsody?

Oh, yeah. The Fifth Sorceress guy.

Archived