June Reading

kcf

Started reading Stephen King The Gunslinger again. Read about half way through and then had to put it on hold because of schoolwork. Finally on my summer break so I'm starting it again.

Finished The Lions of Al-Rassan.

Good book, real page turner but ...but...I wish someone else was killed and another died, not the other way around. Sad story.

There are a few stand alone books I would like to read before I go for HP (I have not read any HP books yet )

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

The Earthsea by Ursula K.Le Guin

Stardust, Neverwhere, Anasy Boys, American Gods by N. Gaiman

Perdido Street Station (and his other books, didn't read anything of him yet)by China Mieville

Most likely I am going to start with The EarthSea then go for Gaiman or HP

Finished The Lions of Al-Rassan.

Good book, real page turner but ...but...I wish someone else was killed and another died, not the other way around. Sad story.

There are a few stand alone books I would like to read before I go for HP (I have not read any HP books yet )

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

The Earthsea by Ursula K.Le Guin

Stardust, Neverwhere, Anasy Boys, American Gods by N. Gaiman

Perdido Street Station (and his other books, didn't read anything of him yet)by China Mieville

Most likely I am going to start with The EarthSea then go for Gaiman or HP

What the hell is HP?

HP = Harry Potter?

Finished Weapons of Choice. Review here.

Now commencing my re-read of the first four novels in the Crown of Stars series by Kate Elliott, starting with King's Dragon, to reacquaint myself with the series before reading the final three novels.

HP = Harry Potter?

Finished Weapons of Choice. Review here.

Now commencing my re-read of the first four novels in the Crown of Stars series by Kate Elliott, starting with King's Dragon, to reacquaint myself with the series before reading the final three novels.

I should've guessed!

Hi guys,

Haruki Murakami's After Dark is more novella than novel. Indeed, the US edition weighs in at only 191 pages. I was a bit put off by its length, to tell you the truth, yet I discovered that the book is as long as it needs to be. Murakami's tale draws you in and won't let go, and soon the number of pages becomes meaningless.

This magical realism story is an intimate narrative that follows the interwoven storylines between a number of disparate characters.

In this flawless translation, Haruki Murakami's impeccable, evocative prose expounds on the different states of loneliness.

The dialogues, even when they appear innocuous, show a lot of insight, while the deep and more thoughtful conversations are a delight.

Still, it's the atmosphere created by the author which makes After Dark a special read. The ambience is sublime, as if the night became a character in its own right. The darkness becomes a time of revelations, a period of transition in the lives of the cast.

Check out the blog for the full review! :)

Patrick

That's nice. I am looking forward for your opinion about the series.

I finished reading 'Death Hulk' (Matthew Sprange) this morning and have posted my review Here :D There's nothing like a swashbuckling tale of zombies on the high seas to brighten your day! Visit my blog if you fancy a copy...

I'm now going to get back into 'Reapers Gale' (halfway through...)

i read Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler. It's a near future/dystopia/apocalypticish novel, starring a young woman who found here own philosophy/religion to cope with the difficult times. Butler's writing is so stark that her stuff often feels like young adult, although I'm not sure it's meant to be. It did bother me that her characters don't seem to be all that traumatized, considering what they've experienced (and despite the protag being an empath). And Macarthy recently covered this ground (post-apocalyptic journey) much more effectively in The Road.

Still, it was definately engrossing, and I look forward to reading the sequel.

Having just recently gotten back into reading after many years, I'm trying to read some of the more highly regarded series. That began with ASOIAF a few months ago (great, easily the best books I've read), and this month I've read Salvatore's Dark Elf trilogy on the suggestion of my brother in law. That was entertaining I suppose, but not really deep enough for my liking. Now I'm just about to start the Prince of Nothing trilogy, since there seems to be quite a few fans of it around here.

I’m reading Michael Chabon – The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay and im about 200 pages in. So far its been really good and I’m thoroughly enjoying it. After I finish this im going to finish off book 3 of the Dark Tower series The Waste Lands after I put it down half way through.

thx Deornoth, I have a nard time relating to a hero who is a Vampire but Huston makes one make exceptions. Darn thing, exactly 3 months ago to the day I started Stealing Home and it was right during a high stress time and ditto this time, I guess karma knew I needed edgey reads right now.

Close to the finish line on The Talisman.

Astra Lestat - really getting some heavy hitters their mate, on my top list of choices also. :D

Cool to see other Hyperion readers since Hyperion is on my shelf for summer.

:cheers:

Life is good, well most times.

Archived