June Reading

kcf

Frosty: have you read the sequels to Caught Stealing? and what did you think of it?

I really loved Already Dead and No Dominion, but I haven't read his non-Joe Pitt novels, yet (I definitely plan to).

Frosty: have you read the sequels to Caught Stealing? and what did you think of it?

I really loved Already Dead and No Dominion, but I haven't read his non-Joe Pitt novels, yet (I definitely plan to).

He's quickly becoming a favorite of mine. Loved his Caught Stealing trilogy. He has a new one coming out in August called The Shotgun Rule (non-genre) which looks like it'll be his first hardcover release. Also another Joe Pitt coming in Dec 2007 (yay!).

I've been enjoying myself with a reread of The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch these past few days. All hail Sub Press for making a fantastic book - it made the entire experience even better than I'd expected.

Red Seas due any day now, but I'll pace the meantime with "Heart-shaped Box" by Joe Hill. Neil Gaiman has blurbed it quite heavily on both the front and back cover, which makes me very curious. Very curious indeed... The cover itself is also spectacular in every sense of the word. It's one of the prettiest books in my collection (I've got the UK version).

Finished Paladin of Souls by Bujold.

Me too, actually. Read The Curse of Chalion before that. I'd recommend them for the reasons White Raven gave, but not quite as enthusiastically. A tidy pattern seems to be emerging with Bujold's storytelling, which detracts for me. It's one reason why I haven't gone seeking The Hallowed Hunt.

Well, I just bought 'Great Book Of Amber' by Roger Zelazny and it quickly got me into its grasp.

I though I wont like first point of view storytelling, but it is done so well that I don't really mind. Story look intreguing, there are plenty of colorful characters, and I really think I will enjoy this series.

Zelazny is quickly turning into one of my favorite authors.

Next month I will get either Altered Carbon, or something written by Guy Gavriel Kay, depending on the mold.

Well, I just bought 'Great Book Of Amber' by Roger Zelazny and it quickly got me into its grasp.

Oh I love that series! I got into it through "The Great Book of Amber" as well, and what a delight to have so much to devour at one sitting.

Slight forewarning ... the second half of the book, IMO, gets disappointing.

Well, I just finished Knife of Dreams by Jordan - one of the Wheel of time series. Mostly meh, with a bit of kick ass - unfortunately not enough. Then went right into Tombs of Atuan by LeGuin, which I think is sublime. The slim simplicity of her writing is wonderful. She can convey so much in so few words. What a study in contrasts between the two authors!

I just finished New Amsterdam by Elizabeth Bear and reviewed it here at FBS. I really enjoyed it - Bear is an author that I need to read more often.

Set in a Victorian era and a New Amsterdam still apart of the British Empire, where many of the familiar vampire tropes made popular by the likes of Anne Rice and Laurell K. Hamilton, and a good bit of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle the mix, Elizabeth Bear shows what can be produced at the hands of a talented writer. Think vampires, sorcerers, detectives, political revolutionaries, corrupt aristocracy, and a British Empire still in its prime where places like New England never achieved independence framed with a skillfully woven character study.

I finally finished reading 'Reaper's Gale' last night, I could not believe the twists that the story took right at the end when I was least expecting it! A lot of loose ends are tied up but I still think there are enough to keep everyone going... Great stuff. I've posted a review Here ;)

I'm now reading 'Unnatural History' by Jonathan Green

Reggie - Caught Stealing is rocking of course - as I said before, I had just bought it, got totally ripped at work and could not sleep that night, it was either listen to Huston or read Salem's Lot by Stephen King. I ended up listening to Caught Stealing until 3 A.M. and I have to say it was one of the most unique reads ever - a perfect 10! :thumbsup:

I am not one of those read straight thru kind of guys, but Charlie Huston surely made me that way as I finished it the next day! The sequel was awesome, but not as good, imho and some occasional drug use might prove offensive to some, although if your reading C. Huston your obviously not easily offended. :)

I just finished reading The Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell after reading some praise on some posts. I have to say that I haven't been this engrossed in a medieval/fantasy series since ASoIaF, even though, technically, I guess it's considered historical fiction. Highly recommended to those who can't wait for a A Dance with Dragons.

Currently reading Blindness by Jose Saramago. Fantastic plague/apocalyptic vision of humanity at its worst.

After this it's Demons by Dostoevsky, then The Saxon Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell.

I'm about 3/4s of the way through the viriconium omnibus and don't know if I'll finish it. there are some really cool ideas buried in here, but the prose is kind of eye-rollable and nothing any of the characters do makes any sense. tomb the dwarf was a great character, though.

it's funny to read this after city of saints and madmen and see how much vandermeer ripped off harrison, although to be quite honest I greatly prefer vandermeer. there's a sense of fun in his work that is entirely lacking in viriconium.

I'm currently reading, both at once, Are You Dave Gorman? by Dave Gorman and Danny Wallace (okay, so this is actually a reread, because it was so hilariously enjoyable the first time, but you know...) and 1984 by George Orwell, which I'd been meaning to pick up for quite some time. At the very least, I'm certainly not going to mix up the plotlines of these two. I've been favoring 1984 the past few nights though, haven't had much time to read, but should be done tomorrow or so. Then back to my pointless summer reading until I decide to tackle my summer reading books for school. (Life of Pi (for English) and Ishmael (for Environmental Science), anyone??)

Archived