July reading

A wilding

Acacia by David Anthony Durham. I found this book to be quite good. The worldbuilding is well done and I really loved all the various cultures in the book. Characters are remisicent of GRRM; black, white, gray, and all the colors in between. Characters are neither good nor evil, all with their own motivations and ideals.

A couple of complaints. I felt the author did not fully project the problems and cruelties of the Acacian empire, though I think part of that reflects the naivete of the king's four children, of whom are the main focus of the plotline. Also, at times I felt the story was a little too typical, particularly toward the second half, but Durham managed to steer clear of that for the most part and the ending is nicely uncertain.

The complaints are minor however and I'm definitely looking forward to the next book.

Finished reading 'Ragamuffin' (Tobias Buckell) last night, great stuff :thumbsup: Solid, entertaining, no frills space opera just the way I like it :D I've posted my review Here ;)

I'm now well into Brian Keene's new book 'Dead Sea' and I don't think there's anyone else who can write a zombie book as well as him right now... :D

I'm about a third of the way through RSURS, and I don't get why people are saying the first half is slow. I think Scott has improved his writing tremendously (and I thought it was pretty darn good before :P ). Maybe the 2nd half is at a blitzkrieg pace (like Lies was), and the first half seems slow in comparison :dunno: I guess I'll find out soon. I am getting a little sick of all the "arse/arsehole", dammit Scott, you're American! Use "ass"!

Finished Storm Front, started Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Since I haven't ever seen Bladerunner I thought I ought to read the book first then go pick it up.

I have this one on my shelf, and just watched Bladerunner for the first time about a month ago. I wasn't too impressed with the movie (it felt dated and some of the acting seemed bad), but I am still looking forward to the book (they're supposed to be quite different from each other). I just haven't had time to fit it in to my schedule; I don't think I have anything too pressing to read after RSURS so maybe I'll read it next...

I just picked up The Lies of Locke Lamora and am enjoying it greatly.

I just bought Adobe Photoshop CS3 Photographers Guide Paperback by David D. Busch

and The Photoshop Channels Book Paperback by Scott Kelby.

Both after quick glances look to have lots of Photoshop goodness.

I have this one on my shelf, and just watched Bladerunner for the first time about a month ago. I wasn't too impressed with the movie (it felt dated and some of the acting seemed bad), but I am still looking forward to the book (they're supposed to be quite different from each other). I just haven't had time to fit it in to my schedule; I don't think I have anything too pressing to read after RSURS so maybe I'll read it next...

I saw Bladerunner for the first time a few months ago, and absolutely hated it. Can't even bring myself to pick the book up off the shelf after that. Is it really worth the effort, considering? Are they really all that different?

I just finished reading The Briar King, the first of the series Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone by Greg Keyes. What can I say.. typically a first book of an epic fantasy series, introduces characters, sets up conflict etc. Still, it was quite well written and I couldn't help but like the characters. I posted my thoughts on this one over here at my regular blog. Hopefully the next installment 'The Charnel Prince', will continue in same the manner, I am expecting some big bangs!

I have decided to pick up Armageddon's Children by Terry Brooks, an author quite unknown to me (haven't read any of his Shannara stuff for that matter). Later this month or next begin Augustus I will hopefully review Elves of Cintra also.

By the way you do not have read any of the Shannara novels in order to understand the basic story of Armaggedon's, I hope?

Kate Elliott's The Gathering Storm. The series is picking up now and getting quite good. I remembered the fourth book kicking some ass, and so it proved on the re-read. I'm in new territory now, as I only read the first four books first time around, so it'll be interesting to see if the series actually has a decent conclusion.

I really need to break off and read Paul McAuley's Cowboy Angels as its one of my ARCs, but I don't want to lose the inertia needed to get through the Elliott series. It's unlikely I'll finish before Peter F. Hamilton's The Dreaming Void comes out though, which I will break off to read. First reviews are coming in now and they're all pretty good.

I saw Bladerunner for the first time a few months ago, and absolutely hated it. Can't even bring myself to pick the book up off the shelf after that. Is it really worth the effort, considering? Are they really all that different?

Blade Runner and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? have some similarities, but the plot and characters are almost entirely different. Whether it would be worth you reading the book might depend on what you actually hated about Blade Runner.

Blade Runner and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? have some similarities, but the plot and characters are almost entirely different. Whether it would be worth you reading the book might depend on what you actually hated about Blade Runner.

I'd say it was worth the read. There are most definitely differences, and books are always better than their movie adaptations. It's not a thick book, and definitely qualifies as 'far out' reading. Won't take too much time or energy to see for yourself. I've got other friends who liked the book better too.

I read Brasyl by Ian Macdonald, which was mostly an incomprehensible morass about the multiverse. Sounds kinda cool and was sorta cool. But not as good as River of Gods.

A glutton for punishment, I followed this up with Light by M. John Harrison. To my utter shock, the book was actually pretty accessible, by the standards of both Brasyl and everything else Harrison has ever wrote. I liked it quite a bit even. Strong character development and mood of ennui. Recommended, that one.

Punishing myself further, I stayed up last night and read the HP7 "carpetbook". Which it seems is the real deal. Right now I'm pretty grumpy about the shoddy storytelling and fan-fic level writing. But I'll probably come around eventually (after a re-read of the print version), and then just be relieved that the whole sordid pop culture affair is over. And hopefully I'll be able to turn some Potter fans IRL onto something better....

I just finished Ken Kesey's One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest the other night. Amazing book, one of my favorites. I watched the movie last night and was very disappointed.

Started The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe last night and it's pretty awesome so far.

I finished Gardens of the Moon last night. Didn't find it difficult to get through at all. Silly names are annoying but not enough to make me stop reading something. Prose a little overdone in places (this is more cringeworthy than the names) and since it was worse in the first part of the book I hope that it'll fade completely away in later books. :unsure:

I finished Gardens of the Moon last night. Didn't find it difficult to get through at all. Silly names are annoying but not enough to make me stop reading something. Prose a little overdone in places (this is more cringeworthy than the names) and since it was worse in the first part of the book I hope that it'll fade completely away in later books. :unsure:

Whose names did annoy you then? Because back then when I read it, the names seemed to be fitting in the setting. Okay, maybe except for T'oolan Onos (sp?) but I just pronounced it as Tool and moved on. I actually found names like Whiskeyjack's quite striking and original.

There's a whole thread about the worst names in fantasy around here somewhere (should be on page 1 or 2 I think). Plenty of people have issues with Erikson's names. Personally I found Tattersail to be the most cringe-inducing.

Just finished reading the new 'Harry Potter' last night. It wasn't bad but I think Rowling missed a couple of chances to really go out with a bang and make this one the best of the lot :rolleyes: I've posted a 'non-spoiler' review Here if anyone fancies a peek ;)

Now it's back to reading Brian Keene's 'Dead Sea'...

There's a whole thread about the worst names in fantasy around here somewhere (should be on page 1 or 2 I think). Plenty of people have issues with Erikson's names. Personally I found Tattersail to be the most cringe-inducing.

Don't forget that Martin introduces character named Tattersalt in AFFC ;)

I think that my dislike for the movie was mostly due to expectations. When all the big new sci-fi action movies come out with reviewers comparing it to Blade Runner... I was expecting something a little more intense. But then it was so slooooow. Not much action at all. And the characters weren't very likable, and their backstories poorly explained. However, my preferences for movies are vastly different than that of books. I understand that character development is generally better in the book. And I actually prefer a slower moving plot when reading. The story was interesting enough, but it ended up as just boring.

So, where I thought it was a lousy movie, I also got the impression that it might be much better in book form. The story was interesting enough. Or maybe I should say: had potential to be interesting, if properly handled. Maybe I just picked the wrong form to take it in. But that movie sure was off-putting.

Just started Liar's Poker by Michael Lewis. I know I should have read it ages ago, but I never have time. I started on Wall Street in 1997, the book describes the events of 1980s -- junk bond market boom and then the crash of 1987 -- way before my time but legendary times nonetheless. The glorious time of Michael Milken -- the junk bond king -- he is out of the prison now, giving seminars, by the way. It reads very well (the 20 pages I have already read), and everyone usually loves it, so I expect to like it, too, I suppose, particularly I know the world the author describes quite well. Different decade, different issues, but the same culture and characters.

I think that my dislike for the movie was mostly due to expectations. When all the big new sci-fi action movies come out with reviewers comparing it to Blade Runner... I was expecting something a little more intense. But then it was so slooooow. Not much action at all. And the characters weren't very likable, and their backstories poorly explained. However, my preferences for movies are vastly different than that of books. I understand that character development is generally better in the book. And I actually prefer a slower moving plot when reading. The story was interesting enough, but it ended up as just boring.

So, where I thought it was a lousy movie, I also got the impression that it might be much better in book form. The story was interesting enough. Or maybe I should say: had potential to be interesting, if properly handled. Maybe I just picked the wrong form to take it in. But that movie sure was off-putting.

Interesting that some of you are reading this book. I picked it up on a whim at the bookstore a few weeks ago and read it over this weekend. I really loved the book (some great dialogue, a well paced plot, some subtle ironies, and one very creepy moment with a spider). I think you will find the mix of characters in the book a bit more interesting but don't expect the characters in the book to be particularly likeable, either.

I saw the movie when it first came out years ago, and back then knew nothing about the book or Philip K. Dick. I've since wondered what the differences were between the book and movie, esp after hearing complaints that the movie doesn't live up to the book. I can understand the disappointment now. The book and movie should really be regarded as separate entities, though. They take on completely different interpretations of the androids and their final message is quite different as well. I would recommend both, for those who have experienced only one or the other, because I think it is interesting to examine and think about the whats and hows of what they do differently (awkward way of stating this, I know).

Now that I've read the book, I'm inclined toward liking the book better.

Blade Runner is not an action movie. If an action movie got compared to it then it was probably more because of the production design or setting - there are a lot of sci-fi movies that have used the 'future-noir' setting of Blade Runner as a likely inspiration - see Dark City, The Matrix, Minority Report etc. I thought it was an excellent movie, but I wouldn't argue with your points - it does not have much action in it, the characters aren't likeable and are mostly enigmatic - maybe it is just not the sort of movie you like watching. I'd say the book is fairly similar on all those points, incidentally.

Archived