Meet-up in Galway, 25-27 April 2008

zakalwe7

As much as I would love to go to Galway, Ireland being high on my list of places to visit soon, I've always felt that the main thing is that wherever we choose should be as easily accessible to as many people as possible. Galway, for me, doesn't fit that. It feels more like going somewhere different for the sake of it, because we've done London and we've done Edinburgh etc.

But then again, I can't say I'll definitely be going myself, depends on a lot of things, so my opinion doesn't necessarily matter. :)

...we should be able to put some people up as well if people are up for it.
Yep, this sounds good on the condition that the space to be slept in exceeds 1m in length. :P And send me your address mofos!

The reason I said Galway is tha I think it would be nice to go outside the UK for once. We've done London, Oxford, Edinburgh etc lately and it's been ages since Dublin, so I vote for a glorious return to the Emerald Isle.

So looking at accomodation in Galway - is there anything that fits the bill?

Also any good events in the town that we should aim to go for (or avoid).

I'm guessing that Feb - May are the most likely times we'll be aiming for. For me and Fee March may well be out since we're off skiing then

As much as I would love to go to Galway, Ireland being high on my list of places to visit soon, I've always felt that the main thing is that wherever we choose should be as easily accessible to as many people as possible. Galway, for me, doesn't fit that. It feels more like going somewhere different for the sake of it, because we've done London and we've done Edinburgh etc.

Pssssssssssssssst ....... notice how everyone is up for it? ;)

Galway is not in Africa. 2 hours from Shannon, or 2 hours from London to Oxford, what's the damn difference?

If I make it, I can go around the long way by Dublin and pick up 3 or 4 people to drive there too, etc. So can Paddy for that matter

Galway is cool. It's pretty and it's got all the hippie/celt-in-a-can community around, and loads of tourists. It's trendy, it's got loads of trad music and sessions, it's got the fecking sea!

It's also not very big and is right next door to the Connemara national park. Which is a sight.

niamh: hey, I'm up for Galway, in case you didn't notice. ;) But most (not all) of the people who're up for it are atm from the UK or Eire, and are regulars.

I know Galway's hardly the back of beyond, but if I was a n00b from Italy or Slovakia or something, I'd be a lot less likely to pitch up in Galway than in London. That's all I'm saying. But it's just a thought to bear in mind, not a position I'm deeply committed to. It doesn't affect how likely I am to attend myself. :)

We'll see what the slovakian n00bs have to say then, before committing ;)

I'll just add that there are tours to the Aran Islands also, and the place has 16 nightclubs :P

Aer Arann flies direct to Cardiff, so not averse to this, again. Leeds-Galway is direct and Mult can start saving and applying for a visa.

I know Galway's hardly the back of beyond,

No, indeed.

It's the Arse End of Ireland.

So Galway is popular. Not that Cardiff or York have major airports either. For Cardiff you probably would have to fly to Bristol, while for York you may have to go to Manchester.

We'll see what the slovakian n00bs have to say then, before committing

If I was a Slovakian, what would I do? Well, Slovakia isn't well connected with Ireland at all. :P Ryanair do fly to a lot of places from Shannon though. This is a handy map, that shows routes from each airport, so you might be able to see what's your closest one that flies to Shannon. Although its a little misleading, since a lot of them are summer only.

Dublin has a lot more destinations but its further away. I forgot about the train but the advantage with the bus is that it goes from Dublin Airport to Galway. For the train, you have to take the bus into Dublin, so it probably takes longer in the end.

The flights to Galway airport are with these sort of planes.. Nothing wrong with them but just in case you would be surprised. (Unfortunately the prices may be a little more expensive with those).

If we do head to Galway, i'll help as much as I can anyhow. :) But i'm happy wherever.

Two hours bus ride from Shannon. And I get direct flights from Weeze/Düsseldorf to Shannon via Ryanair, plus I've never been to but always wanted to go to Ireland.

This looks like a 'Mo is in it, and if she has to wash dishes to afford it' thingy.

While Galway is a very nice small city, the problem will be getting there for non Irish/UK people. Galway itself has an airport but it only takes smallish planes. Although they do at least fly to a lot of UK cities. There is a list of destinations on that site.

Then as mentioned, one can fly to Knock (and Knock only serves UK destinations also but you'd probably get cheaper prices) but it looks like getting to Galway would be difficult by bus. No direct service. :thumbsdown:

Probably the easiest way to get to Galway would be to fly to Shannon Airport and then take a 2 hour bus ride to the city. Shannon would have more services than the other 2 airports and some continental European services also. Dublin Airport is a 4 hour bus ride away.

So not easy it seems...

There is a bus to nearby Charlestown from Knock Airport and that connects with the bus eireann service to Galway.

Knock Airport to Charlestown Timetable

Charlestown to Galway Route Timetable (Mon-Sat)

So, I'd have thought that Knock Airport would be much closer to Galway than Shannon, but given Pod's 2 hours for the Shannon bus, Shannon looks to be similar enough, but with more convenience (in flights and land travel).

I know its very early. I'm just posting those to give people who would consider flying to Knock Airport the information to decide whether or not they think it's reasonable.

As Pod has mentioned, the Aircoach from Dublin Airport to Galway is pretty direct and convenient. To get the train, you'd have to make it into town, then out to Heuston Station in the West of the City. Not terribly convenient.

Of course, if it was Galway, I'll probably drive and be able to collect some people as Niamh mentioned.

As for my choice of destination. I'm not decided yet. I'll see once we've settled on a shortlist of choices.

Oh, and I'll almost certainly be there, wherever it is :)

It would cost about £90 per person to fly from Luton to Galway airport (checked april and may), so thats not too bad and I'm sure it will be even cheaper to fly to knock or Shannon with Ryanair.

As Paddy said, you can get a bus from Charlestown to Galway, which is only about 5 - 10 mins in a cab (about €10ish), so with all the other options, I don't think it's all that hard to get to at all (its probably easier than Oxford).

I don't think it's all that hard to get to at all (its probably easier than Oxford).

I promise this will be my last post on the subject. :P

I agree Galway's no harder to get to than Oxford - but how many people showed up for Oxford who had never been to a meet before? Especially compared to London?

Galway seems like a great choice in many ways, I agree. It looks to have everything we need in terms of accommodation, people on the ground to organise things (crucial), nightlife and other stuff to do, etc.

But it comes down to what the aim of the meet is and what your priorities are. Accessibility to n00bs vs. variety for regulars. If the consensus is that variety wins, that's fine - after all, the regulars are going to be the majority in any case. Shit, I'm one of the regulars and I'd rather go to Galway than London, personally. I'm just making the point that we're not so likely to get any new faces that way.

ETA - shutting up now. :P

The question is are we going to get new faces anyway?

Bunch of new faces in Ireland too that we haven't got to see yet (Rhaegon, Conor) :P

And other question since you read that thread: Aren't new faces going to Copenhagen in any case? I thought this was a medium sized meet to plug a hole between the two big cons.

If it's got to be in London or say, Paris, I'm not going. Big cities stress me to the point of insanity. Sorry for being such a culchie :)

If we decide on Galway, I'm looking at an overnight stay in Inis Mór, the biggest Aran Island, the one with the fort of Aongus ruins on it.

They seem to do packages with return ferry trip and one night B&B for 50€ PP, and 30€ PP for a hostel night (possibly add 6€ for return bus ticket from Galway; except bank holidays and Augsut).

Once there we could book either bicycles (10€ for 24 hours) or pony traps (not sure how much)to have a look around the island (I can drive one of course :P, though I think they give you a driver); bus tours are available for the sophisticated or if it rains, and then a night in the pub wouldn't go amiss (there are two, traditional pubs in Kilronan). They do traditional music sessions and stuff. Return to the mainland in the morning, hungover and all.

Inis Mór(video in it) while the biggest Aran Island is still only 12km long and 3km wide so it sounds a bit like the BWB commune thingie ;)

They seem to charge to see the fort though, which isn't much but ruins. All the rest is free.

Wikitravel link on Inis Mór

Now I've never been and it could be shite. But it's why I'm dying to go :D What say you all?

Archived