WoW - continued

Lyanna Stark

What's your Arena rating?
0. I don't have any level 70s.

SHIT YOU'VE TOTALLY PWNED ME! I'm Mellllting!

Seriously, does it matter what the arena rating is when you don't need an arena rating to get the gear, you only need the arena points? It'll matter for season 3 - whenever that starts - but it doesn't matter now. The honor points from AFK AV spend the same as the ones who down the bosses there. The arena points from the shit rated arena teams spend the same as the ones with the 2000 ratings.

And to be clear, I'm not saying that PvP is easier or harder than PvE or any of that. I'm saying that getting the arena points to get the weapons is much easier than raiding to get them.

I almost never raid anymore because every raid encounter is the same for DPS. It's always:

1. Spam your 1 button alot while standing completely inert.

2. Variations of spamming your 1 button alot, but popping your mana items so it's done as efficiently as possible.

From what I've read of other good DPSers this means that you're not very good at raiding DPS. Could be wrong though.

While I'll keep the flammatory comments up (instead of editing them away), I'm going to apologize in advance. I'm in a pissy mood and that was uncalled for. I'm sorry.

From what I've read of other good DPSers this means that you're not very good at raiding DPS. Could be wrong though.

While I'll keep the flammatory comments up, I'm going to apologize in advance. I'm in a pissy mood and that was uncalled for. I'm sorry.

if hes a mage thats basically all he does in most fights.

as for arena rating - denotes skill.

if hes a mage thats basically all he does in most fights.
I thought I had read on EJ that it's a lot better to have rotations of spells to maximize damage and not just spam one. Except now with arcane missiles, but that's a different build. In any event, that's certainly not the case for most other DPS classes.

as for arena rating - denotes skill.
No argument. Arena equipment doesn't though.

Let's see, DPS classes that only spam one button?

Rogues...nope. They've got at least four or five things to do.

Hunters? Well, I suppose you could just hit one, two for telling the pet to attack, but how many hunters do that? (probably too many). Plus they're usually controlling adds.

Feral Druids? They're like rogues, lots of things to do.

Shadow Priests? Well, I suppose you could mind flay all day, but most people like you to at least use SW:P or better yet, VT and VE where appropriate. And there are fights where you shackle, or shield.

Mages? Yeah, you could just do the one thing in a boss fight, but there's also more to do outside of them.

And let's not forgot, Blizzard does work to have some variety in fights, so they're not just DPS DPS DPS TANK TANK TANK. Are they perfect? No, but then, what is?

i was talkin bout arcane mages, mostly. didnt say dps.

altho feral druids dont do much. 6-10 buttons max, including trinkies.

I can totally understand not wanting to raid if it really was spamming one button- and maybe icemage back in the MC days was like that, but I can assure there no raid encounters I can think of now where I'm standing anywhere and spamming one button. Most encounters now require movement, add management, and has some interesting mix of class usage.

But please lets not do the PvP vs PvE argument again. Its not an either/or. :) I raid 3 nights a week, I arena one night a week, I alt/cyb0r inbetween. I enjoy all of it. :) Well, maybe not arena the other night, cause me and my rogue partner got freaking PWNT by the same Warrior/Pally combo about 4 times in a row. So painful *shows you her hurty place*

BRD was fun, Kal. The drops in there are actually crazy good for that level. If only it didn't take 11 hours to complete :P

Karathress down in SSC tonight. 2 wipes that looked like crazy horrible chaos, and then a perfect kill, where everyone looked pretty sharp. Strange difference :P Leo next, if our warlock tank is ready, or maybe time to poke around some more in TK. Good times.

0. I don't have any level 70s.

SHIT YOU'VE TOTALLY PWNED ME! I'm Mellllting!

You want to calm down there?

Seriously, does it matter what the arena rating is when you don't need an arena rating to get the gear, you only need the arena points? It'll matter for season 3 - whenever that starts - but it doesn't matter now. The honor points from AFK AV spend the same as the ones who down the bosses there. The arena points from the shit rated arena teams spend the same as the ones with the 2000 ratings.

And to be clear, I'm not saying that PvP is easier or harder than PvE or any of that. I'm saying that getting the arena points to get the weapons is much easier than raiding to get them.

If you have a garbage team, it also means you don't get a piece for atleast a month.

The gear for our 3v3 is terrible because I came back to the game after a long hiatus with friends, but we were hardcore PvPers, and we managed to break 1700s without a single piece of MG gear. Even with that rating in our 3v3, the points come in trickles. It took me 2 weeks for the gloves, and now it's going to be 3 for my shoulders. Everything else if the 1700 rating stays will take at the very least 4 weeks.

In PvE you can scoop up 2 pieces on a day.

So how is it easier? And you can't AFK in BGs anymore. You get flagged with the No Honor Debuff.

While I'll keep the flammatory comments up, I'm going to apologize in advance. I'm in a pissy mood and that was uncalled for. I'm sorry.

You are wrong in advance. Raiding is DPS is incredibly boring, and always has been.

And Manticore, you're quite mistaken. Raiding as DPS is basically mashing 1 or 2 buttons over and over again. Like I said, once in a while they'll throw you a bone (ZOMG SILENCE ARCANE MISSILE NOW MY KICK GOT RESISTED BY SHADE!). Sometimes trash is hard like AQ40, but most of the time, it's a mashfest again.

You can raid with literally 2 buttons as DPS and get by. They're 20% coordination and 80% gear and consumables. I don't have to be a genius to sheep my add whenever it breaks and keep DPSing, and neither does a shadow priest when he needs to shacke. And any hunter who sends his pet to attack a separate target in a raid is a huntard, because it defeats the 99.9% of the philosophy behind any raid encounter, which is FOCUS FIRE.

Mage "rotation spells" for "maximized DPS" means you spam fireball endlessly once you have the full scorch debuff up. Whenever you get Clearcast, you fire blast, and continue mashing 1 over and over. When the debuff is running out, you do one scorch, then continue spamming fireball.

Riveting. My first toon was a hunter and it's no different.

I don't know where you get the idea rogues have to multitask frequently in raids. They don't.

Besides, I get much more satisfaction over beating human beings rather than AI. My guild is a very close knit group of RL friends, so I doubt we'll get to see 25-mans, but generally we're ranked pretty high in our Battlegroup. Our best A-Team 5v5 broke 2300. If we ever get the numbers to attempt Gruul, I'll give it a shot, but I experienced nothing I haven't already in Kara.

Spam spam spam spam Shade spam spam spam spam again.

I can totally understand not wanting to raid if it really was spamming one button- and maybe icemage back in the MC days was like that, but I can assure there no raid encounters I can think of now where I'm standing anywhere and spamming one button. Most encounters now require movement, add management, and has some interesting mix of class usage.

one of the top dps mage son my server uses around 6 buttons on raid trash, 85% of the time. he blinks and jumps around to amuse himself. So... you really dont have to do much. I can see why people would find raiding boring. This kid loves it tho. Helps to be stoned.

I love raiding, and I don't play stoned. To each is own. That's what I like about WoW, Blizzard does try to provide something for everyone, and usually succeeds, despite all the constant whining. Fucking around on trash is hardly the same as spamming one button over and over on bossfights, while standing still/afk wanking. I really like the encounters we've reached so far (for the most part). But if people don't, then that is cool too ;)

Eta- Winter is Coming- there are numerous boss encounters now, at a 25 man level, where rogues are responsible for raid saving interrupts. That's not a huge amount of multi tasking, but its certainly more than the 222222223 spam they used to have in raiding.

I really like the encounters we've reached so far (for the most part). But if people don't, then that is cool too ;)

haha, i didnt say otherwise. i can just see both perspectives. ive been bored a bunch and ive not been bored a bunch. whatevs. this pally in my gruuls grp the other night was bopin the off tank out of boredom. gkick quickly followed.

Our best bored tricks are betting pools on how many times our raid leader (rogue) dies on trash before the next boss; fun with misdirect; bubbling the rogues just as they pop Adrenaline Rush/Blade Flurry; and fun with raid markers.

I can see both sides of it as well. Its not that I have never been bored, but I do - personally- find it more interesting than I did back in MC/BWL. :)

Wow I feel old. I remember when MC wasn't even in the game yet.

And the nightmare of questing in Hillsbrad became even MORE of a nightmare when AV came out, and bored 60s queued for it would ride down and turn it into the Battle of Stalingrad.

I was questing in that area when honor was introduced unto the game. Tarren Mill became a 24/7 zerg of craziness. I remember the lag making it unplayable even if you were smart enough to not be pvp enabled.

Good times :D

You know, Ro, Spiteblade has like a 5% drop rate. You might be cursing for another 16 Saturdays to come. We have been in Karazhan for 6 months now, some weeks with 2 teams, and we have only seen Spiteblade two times for all those runs.

I was questing in that area when honor was introduced unto the game. Tarren Mill became a 24/7 zerg of craziness. I remember the lag making it unplayable even if you were smart enough to not be pvp enabled.

Good times :D

Yeah.. There's no such luck there if you're in a PvP server.

24/7 war zone.

What's your Arena rating?

My Arena rating hovers around 1450. We have ten people, all PVE'ers mainly in our 5 man. If I wanted to be competitive, I could however. I've turned myself into a more than competent PVPer in the past few weeks. It's fun, but not hard.

And Arena gear is fucking EASY to get. Far, far easier than raiding any 25 man content. Hell, easier than Kara gear. Arena gear is a grind, and no skill is involved in getting it whatsoever.

Now in Season 3 this changes drastically. But tier 5 level and quality gear is even EASIER to grind.

So....how do you move backward with a mouse, you (freakass) mouseusers?

We don't. Strafing is the way to go! The mouse also helps you spin fast and run the other direction.

I haven't been able to play WoW lately because my Internet still hates me and Comcast still hates me and I am harboring such nasty thoughts about them that I probably should go to jail just for thinking them. As soon as evening hits the connection dies. It flat out dies and gets halfway resurrected and then dies again. This starts around 7, 7:30 and goes until 2 am or so. I'm supposed to be raiding but I sort of can't even get on WoW long enough to tell people I won't make it. Forget Vent.

*whistles* So I've been playing Civ 4 instead while harboring thoughts of burny fiery hatred in my heart.

The one thing I'll say for PvP is that it has guaranteed returns until you run out of items you want. PvE you can get two items in one night... but you can also spend three months farming a boss and get nothing but void crystals for all ten people in the Kara group while desperately hoping for the one item you want.

Spent the night in SSC. We're working on Lurker Below, and at least one person has offered to help me with the infinite primal life I'll need to get the resist gear I'll need for when we move to Hydross. Of course, that still leaves nethers, and shadow, and felsteel. Nethers I think I got offered help with too, but it will be a long time before I get Wildguard and the NR ring crafted.

Lurker is a big annoyance. There's definitely at least one thing in the fight that wasn't pointed out; I'm assuming it's a tail slap knockback, because it's not lined up with the Whirl warnings, and it hits a lot harder as well. My personal difficulty with the fight is getting from the water to the platforms. The other way around is of course trivial, but at this point I've probably spent close on half the engagement time trying to get back on a platform. I've tanked archer adds while in the water because I couldn't get the jump out to work.

I'm not sure if the plan is to go back to SSC after Gruul tonight; I rather hope it isn't. I want to get the pally to 67, and if I'm burning that much time and repairs in SSC, that will also cut into my opportunity to gather felsteel or shadow. I haven't done dailies in a little bit, and if the first two or three are just paying raiding repairs, that definitely cuts into my ability to score cash to buy materials. (And no, we're not going to get Lurker for another couple of weeks at least; we need to drastically improve both our spout handling and our submerge handling's consistency.)

Archived