NFL Playoffs

Space Bandito

OK, my official picks for this weekend (barring late news on an injury). Not a lot of drama, except for my one upset.

Patriots over Jacksonville. Almost every element of the Pats team is a step up over the Jaguars opposing unit. Pats D > Jags O. Pats passing game > Jags secondary. Plus the home field and an extra week of rest and prep. The Jaguars are good in most facets of the game, the Pats are just better.

Cowboys over Giants. I think the Giants have used up whatever karma or momentum they had. Their best chance is to get a huge, mistake free game from Eli Manning. Not likely.

Colts over Chargers. If this looks like a contest, expect Roger Goodell himself to start making penalty calls against the Chargers. The NFL wants Colts/Pats. Oh, and the Colts are the better team here.

Seahawks over Packers. Barring Brett Favre, this is an inexperienced team. And the Seahawks D is one of the better ones the Pack will have faced this year. As much as ESPN might want the white hats from cheese country to face the black hats from Boston in the Super Bowl, I don't think that script flies. I think a Moss-Owens Super Bowl is a better story.

As much as ESPN might want the white hats from cheese country to face the black hats from Boston in the Super Bowl, I don't think that script flies. I think a Moss-Owens Super Bowl is a better story.

I think the NFL is in a no-lose situation on the NFC side PRIOVIDED Seattle is just a flash in the pan. Assuming the Pats get to Arizona (and NOTHING is guarenteed here), Green Bay would be great for the "Good Brett" v. "Evil Bill." And to say the officiating would benefot the Packers would be an understatement; they may throw a flag at the Pats during the coin toss.

But Dallas-Pats is a HUGE ratings bonanza as Dallas' market share is phenominal. The interest in the game would be Epic as you have tow great football franchises going right at each other. Could be amazing for rating. I think the NFL secertly wants the Pats to go all the way and they are fine after that- unless Seattle shocks people.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/foot...s.ap/index.html

Joe Gibbs retired. Suprisingly, he didn't even finish out his contract. Its understandable as the Taylor issue really did take its toll on him. He had a very good season, and I should never have insinuated he was no longer a good coach as he emphatically was (wtill not sure of Top 5). But as I had said, he did not have the stamina to be this team's long-term coach.

Rothlisberger played terrible. To excuse him from blame is a little odd to me.

Roethlisberger did play terrible - in the first half. He put together a hell of a performance in the second half. How long has it been since we've had a quarterback who could come back from an 18 point deficit, especially behind a ridiculously pourous OL? (Tommy Maddox doesn't count because he could also manage to lose a single game twice in overtime, ironically also to Jax) Do I wish he wouldn't have thrown 3 INT in the first half, of course, but who else could have come back from that? What QB shows consistent playoff excellence year in and year out? Brady's the only one, and only one team can have him.

I'm not excusing him, but I don't think there's any need to excuse him. If I can't have Brady, then I'll take this 25 year old kid who's already shown he can take a team to the next level, takes full responsibility for his mistakes, and plays his heart out to overcome those mistakes when they happen.

And, of course if you list the things that went wrong in that game, they all contributed. It's never one play, but I still feel the decision to not attempt a pass during that series of downs was an egregious mistake, and at that particular point in time, it did cost them the game.

that said, this team is not well coached, and therein lies the real problem. I'm willing to chalk it up to first year coach.coordinator growing pains, but if we don't see some improvement next year on the coaching front, then something needs to give.

This team underachieved and got outcoached/gameplanned all year.

Agreed. Hopefully Tomlin turns out to be a coach who can take it to the next level.

The NFL would be extremely happy with Colts, Dallas, New England, and Green Bay victories. Really they're almost set no matter what happens. They'd very much prefer a Colts/New England showdown, but so long as one of those teams makes it, they're sitting pretty. And in the NFC it doesn't much matter so long as either Green Bay or Dallas makes the Superbowl. So half the teams almost automatically equal great story + major bank. And it just so happens that those are the teams with the best records and (arguably) best squads.

And even if by some freak occurrence New York wins out. Well hell, still a HUGE market and there's a ready made story if he plays the Colts (Brother v. Brother) or the Pats (avenge the older brother). The only way the NFL could lose on the NFC is if Seattle wins out. And the NFL would be extremely happy if they'd just lay an egg early against Green Bay and save them any unwanted drama.

3 INTS is 3 INTS. It doesn't matter, frankly, that they all happened in the first half or were spread out more evenly. Ben, who also fumbled once, was able to salvage the game in the sceond half, but it was THANKS TO HIM they were in the possition in the first place. Now, their running game was terrible and I do agree- they have coaching problems (its his first year), but Ben was not capable of playing 60 minutes of good football, and that's what separates great QBs from ones who are okay.

I don't know how a QB can throw 3 INTS and then get off scott free. There is blame a-plenty to go around, but much of it has to fall on Big Ben.

3 INTS is 3 INTS. It doesn't matter, frankly, that they all happened in the first half or were spread out more evenly. Ben, who also fumbled once, was able to salvage the game in the sceond half, but it was THANKS TO HIM they were in the possition in the first place. Now, their running game was terrible and I do agree- they have coaching problems (its his first year), but Ben was not capable of playing 60 minutes of good football, and that's what separates great QBs from ones who are okay.

I don't know how a QB can throw 3 INTS and then get off scott free. There is blame a-plenty to go around, but much of it has to fall on Big Ben.

And he blamed himself after the game.

I guess it looks like I'm letting him slide a bit, and you know what, I am. Put him on the Patriots and he has that performance, then I'm more willing to come down on him, but this isn't the 04/05 Steelers where he only has to not fuck up. He's the man and he has to basically win it himself. And Saturday I saw him give his team a chance to win, even with a subpar performance.

I think you're getting too used to the hall of fame standards being set up there in NE. Show me a QB, besides Brady, who hasn't had this kind of performance in a big game. And when a QB does have a bad day, show me another one who has the mental toughness to bounce back from it to lead his team back from 18 points down, and then take all the blame on his shoulders after the game. I just don't agree that when only one team out of 32 can take home the trophy every year, that the only standard to judge a player by is if he's on that one team he's a winner, and the other 1500 or so players are failures. I accept that that is the standard of some people, it's just not mine. Unless you're the Pats, I don't think you can expect to win the SB.

So, scott free, no. I agree he needs to improve, and I think he has shown improvement this year, a hell of a lot actually. I just don't think he deserves to be the fall guy for that game. The pick six, sure, his fault, can't do that in the playoffs. The other Mathis INT, bad throw, but really not much worse than a punt. The third INT probably cost them no more than a FG at the end of the half. The fumble was the least of his mistakes. He knows he can't take a sack, no timeouts, and he's just trying to make a play, maybe lateral it.

I'm glad most of the criticism on the Steeler boards this week is "Fire Arians", not "Trade Ben", which is my main point.

And I know I come off as "Rah, rah, Big Ben", but hey, I admire the way he's handled himself so far in his career, and I can even admire the way he handles himself when he has a bad game.

Jacksonville vs. Seattle - worst imaginable SB ever, as far as interest in the game.

Not that that's going to happen, but I almost hope it does.

I would have to say that San Diego vs. Seattle would be worse - who wants to watch two west coast teams play one another in the SB?

*ducks and runs*

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/foot...s.ap/index.html

Joe Gibbs retired. Suprisingly, he didn't even finish out his contract. Its understandable as the Taylor issue really did take its toll on him. He had a very good season, and I should never have insinuated he was no longer a good coach as he emphatically was (wtill not sure of Top 5). But as I had said, he did not have the stamina to be this team's long-term coach.

Pretty surprising. All the signals pointed to him coming back for at least one more. I'm guessing he would've been back had the Redskins not made the playoffs. Now he can ride off into the sunset, moderately successful, having made the playoffs in 2 of his 4 years feeling like he did right the ship and put the organization back on solid footing in his wake. Second acts never equal the first. Was unrealistic of us Redskin fans to assume he would. Still very much enjoyed these past four years through all the highs and lows. His name still gives me goosebumps. Just loved the concept of a Joe Gibbs coached team playing a December or playoff game, felt an added confidence, even in the second tenure. He'll be missed.

So hopefully after a lousy month of downright mediocre football from the 'Boys, and a trip to Cancun for Tony, we finally get our game and its against the F-ing Giants. Playing a team three times, likely without Owens, doesn't really instill confidence in me.

Hopefully they getr back to midseason form and rip Eli a new asshole but, I think its going to be a close game. Hopefully its as entertaining as our first game.

RE: Worst superbowl matchup

This would definitely be Seattle vs. Jax. If that game were to happen I'd probably not watch for the first time in my life.

EDIT: See ya Gibbs, a class act if I ever saw one. Hopefully Snyder screws the pooch with his next hiring.

I think its going to be a Dallas vs. Patriots superbowl, with the Patriots winning, as much as it pains me. They are a truly dominant team..

my packers fan boy wet dream would of course be for the pack to beat the patriots in the Superbowl. There is no chance in hell that will happen, but just imagine......... the epic amounts of torrid man-love for Brett Favre would be so monumental and omnipresent.... madden and the entire staff of espn would propose to him, ...etc etc etc

the bitching on this board alone about the favre love would be worth it!

I think you're getting too used to the hall of fame standards being set up there in NE. Show me a QB, besides Brady, who hasn't had this kind of performance in a big game.

Exhibit A: Denver Broncos

I get what you're saying, though.

Picks:

Green Bay over Seattle, 24-14

Giants over Dallas, 31-21

New England over Jacksonville, 31-14

Colts over Chargers, 27-14

Note: if the weather in NE is really bad for this game, the score will be something like 19-6 NE win.

Roethlisberger did play terrible - in the first half. He put together a hell of a performance in the second half. How long has it been since we've had a quarterback who could come back from an 18 point deficit, especially behind a ridiculously pourous OL?

he threw three critical picks. He was largely RESPONSIBLE for the 18 point defect. If he can't start playing more consistently........

What QB shows consistent playoff excellence year in and year out?

It isn't about showing consistent excellence. He's putrid way too frequently. I still like the guy, but to absolve him of blame in that game is pretty ridiculous, considering how poorly he played.

And, of course if you list the things that went wrong in that game, they all contributed. It's never one play, but I still feel the decision to not attempt a pass during that series of downs was an egregious mistake, and at that particular point in time, it did cost them the game.

It should never have come down to one play.

I think you're getting too used to the hall of fame standards being set up there in NE. Show me a QB, besides Brady, who hasn't had this kind of performance in a big game.

It isn't just this game. there have been a lot of games like that.

So, scott free, no. I agree he needs to improve, and I think he has shown improvement this year, a hell of a lot actually.

I agree.

I just don't think he deserves to be the fall guy for that game.

Blame goes like this:

1) Gameplan

2) Ben.

3) Special Teams. (as usual)

In that order.

he threw three critical picks. He was largely RESPONSIBLE for the 18 point defect. If he can't start playing more consistently........

Then what? We'll offer NE the DNA and cloning technology to reproduce the 70's Steelers in return for Tom Brady? I still don't think they'd take that. We'll draft someone else and start over? We'll spend the next 20+ years cycling through the equivalent of Stoudt, Malone, Brister, O'Donnell, Tomszac, Stewart, and Maddox again? No thanks. All things considered, I'm quite happy to live through Roethlisberger's development if it means they have a chance every week, because even factoring in inconsistency, I don't see another QB in the NFL that offers as much potential for success over the next 6-10 years if they surround him with the right players. Granted, he needs to keep improving, but I've seen nothing to suggest that that is not his goal, or that it's not happening from season to season.

It isn't about showing consistent excellence. He's putrid way too frequently. I still like the guy, but to absolve him of blame in that game is pretty ridiculous, considering how poorly he played.

Never tried to absolve him, even if it came off that way. Just trying to put things in perspective.

It isn't just this game. there have been a lot of games like that.

Not sure I'd completely agree with that. Like I said, all QB's have played poorly in big games unless their names were Brady, Montana, Bradshaw or, er... that's it, ever. Your statement above is something I'd quicker apply to someone like Eli Manning.

Blame goes like this:

1) Gameplan

2) Ben.

3) Special Teams. (as usual)

In that order.

Agreed. Let's hope steps are taken to improve all phases next year. Otherwise, the end result won't be much different.

Roethlisberger has been running for his life all year. If I were a Steelers fan, I'd be pleasantly surprised with how often he managed to salvage plays after shrugging off a sack or escaping pressure.

Seriously, there are maybe three or four teams in the entire NFL who should be happier with their quarterback situation than the Steelers. You may be taking for granted just how fortunate your team is to be set at QB for the next ten years, barring injury.

Then what?

Then we'll never consistently contend for a title.

I should clarify that I'm relatively happy with the QB situation. There aren't a lot of guys out there I'd take over him right now. But he'll never be considered a great QB unless he stops putting up stinkers in the playoffs.

Another thing that drives me absolutely nuts is that I have never seen him play well when he is wearing the glove on his throwing hand. i'd love to see a breakdown of his QB rating with and without it.

Agreed. Let's hope steps are taken to improve all phases next year. Otherwise, the end result won't be much different.

I have given up hope that they are ever going to fix the special teams, but i'm willing to chalk up the coaching issues to the fact that we are in a transitional year.

I don't think firing Arians after one year makes any sense at all. But I do think he has a lot to prove next year. And I'm terrified of what is going to happen once Lebeau (sp?) retires......

Why is no one talking about Green Bay?

Do none of you wish Brett well? None of you?

I'm not a Packers fan by any stretch of the imagination, but i want the man to win one more, then retire. I'm rooting for him. Hard. I think they can beat the Seahawks. If Dallas wasn't banged up I'd be panicked on that front, he's never beaten them. But they are banged up, and I'm hoping the Giants can take them out of the way for him, and then he can take teh Giants out of the way.

As to the Superbowl, well that'd take a miracle... Pats or Colts almost definitely which means almost definitely a loss. But still one can hope can't one.

That being said, i thoroughly enjoyed watching Eli beat the shit out of the Bucs. If it weren't for Favre I'd be rooting for him all the way. On the other side, i hope Big Eli puts the Pats on their asses, but if teh Jags did it for them that would be nice... compeltely ridiculous, but nice.

oh well. its the nfl, anything can fucking happen. Srsly. I will never bet on NFL football. No matter what you never know wtf is going to happen. Course that's why i love this damn sport so much.

Why is no one talking about Green Bay?

Do none of you wish Brett well? None of you?

I'm not a Packers fan by any stretch of the imagination, but i want the man to win one more, then retire. I'm rooting for him. Hard. I think they can beat the Seahawks. If Dallas wasn't banged up I'd be panicked on that front, he's never beaten them. But they are banged up, and I'm hoping the Giants can take them out of the way for him, and then he can take teh Giants out of the way.

As to the Superbowl, well that'd take a miracle... Pats or Colts almost definitely which means almost definitely a loss. But still one can hope can't one.

That being said, i thoroughly enjoyed watching Eli beat the shit out of the Bucs. If it weren't for Favre I'd be rooting for him all the way. On the other side, i hope Big Eli puts the Pats on their asses, but if teh Jags did it for them that would be nice... compeltely ridiculous, but nice.

oh well. its the nfl, anything can fucking happen. Srsly. I will never bet on NFL football. No matter what you never know wtf is going to happen. Course that's why i love this damn sport so much.

Giants are my NFC team so I'm rooting for them but should they lose to the Cowboys, I'm all for the Packers! I love me some Ryan Grant.

Giants are my NFC team so I'm rooting for them but should they lose to the Cowboys, I'm all for the Packers! I love me some Ryan Grant.

hhahaha. I love me some Eli.

Edited to add that I am a Saints and Giants fan. In that order. So, one out of two eh? I went to USC, adn love seeing my Trojans make good. So watching Reggie uh.. fail a bit sucked, but watching Steve Smith with that glorious catch and second effort in the Giants game was great. (yes i know he dropped an easy one earlier in the game. shhhhhhh.)

I felt a bit bad for the Redskins after what they've been through. was glad teh jags won even if they will just lose to teh pats next week. didn't care one way or the other about teh chargers titans game

and thoroughly and completely enjoyed the giants bucs game.

Archived