January Reads

Larry.

I'm currently reading The Shamer's Signet by Lene Kaaberbol. It's book two of the Shamer Quartet. I am enjoying it a lot. After I finish it I'm probably gonna read Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment.

Peter Woit...he the one that wrote Not Even Wrong, or something like that? Considering picking that up, too. If you've read it, mind telling me what you think?

Unfortunately I havent read Peter Woit's book. But from reviews I read it seems as though Smolin wrote a more accessible one while Woit's book suffers from a few flaws one of which is a preponderence of jargon.

Smolin does a good job of explaining the issues regarding string theory as well as his own personal journey - starting from the enormous promise it offered in the beginning to his disenchantment and final breakaway (forming his own Perimeter Institute).

Yeah, that's pretty much what Pub Weekly had to say about Woit's book, if I recall. As for Smolin -- I agree. While I still think the writing is too dry, his personal journey is fascinating. I was wary at first, because he's basically saying, "I'm different than everybody else, because...," but the novel doesn't devolve into self-importance the way that Lisa Randall's Warped Passages did. Smolin is careful to preface that these scientists, with whom he's in opposition, are brilliant people and a gift to physics. It's not an "I'm right, you're wrong" polemic, and I thank him for that. And I recommend the novel.

Discoveries is a new speculative fiction imprint from Wizards of the Coast (Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, etc). Hence, let me begin by saying that it's about time! A new adult-oriented specfic line is good news to fans of the genre.

Wizards of the Coast sent out a very neat publicity kit last fall. Of all the advance reading copies it contained, I elected to read J. M. McDermott's debut. Last Dragon is advertized as a literary fantasy novel in the tradition of Gene Wolfe and Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Talk about raising expectations to a level that no debut can aspire to reach, right? Still, I was intrigued and decided to give it a shot.

Last Dragon is written economically, which is both a positive and a negative thing. On the upside, it makes for a narrative that flows well. Extremely short scenes in relatively short chapters help speed the story along. On the downside, many of the concepts are bare bones and should have been further fleshed out to make this tale more absorbing.

I'm well aware that I don't say this very often, but I believe that Last Dragon should have been longer. It would have given the author the chance to bring this book to another level, for the potential is definitely there. The absence of details concerning too many facets of the novel makes for a somewhat bland story that could have been a lot better. It's sad, for Last Dragon showed a lot of promise. . .

Check out the blog for the full review...

Patrick

I just finished Jhereg, Yendi, Teckla and Taltos by Steven Brust. Nice, light reads, optimal for me reading on the bus. There is quite a strong variation in quality and themes. Jhereg has a great pace to it. Reading it reminded me of Zelazny's Lord of the Light, in that you are just thrown to the story, with no exposition or anything, completely clueless of the world you're in, character's motivations etc. Yendi is definitely the weakest. A jumble of ideas mixed awkwardly together. Teckla is a bit odd, with it's political stuff. On the one hand it fleshes out the characters and has an interesting plotlines. On the other hand, you just don't know enough of the politics of the world to care about the revolution, one way or the other. Taltos is pretty good, but not special in any way.

I have started today Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold. 2 chapters in I can't quite say a lot, but it looks promising. After a long stretch of fantasy books, even a sci-fi one can be considered a refreshing change :P

I have started today Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold. 2 chapters in I can't quite say a lot, but it looks promising. After a long stretch of fantasy books, even a sci-fi one can be considered a refreshing change :P

Lol, I'm reading that as well. Actually, rereading since I read Shards of Honor some years ago, but now got a collection of omnibus editions of the Miles Vorkosigan books, and there it's paired with the sequel Barrayar (as Cordelia's Honor). I've read several books by Lois McMaster Bujold, Vorkosigan as well as the Chalion Fantasies, and I like her stuff. :)

One has to take into account though, that Shards of Honor was one of her first books and she has grown as writer.

I'm currently reading The Last Place on Earth by Roland Huntford which is about the race for the South Pole by the two explorers, Scott and Amundsen. While it is a relatively strightforward tale of how the "final frontier" of the South Pole was eventually overcome, the story itself has many layers to it that make for compelling reading. These include the national characters of Norway and Sweden at the time (to which Amundsen and Scott belonged to respectively), the difference in the personaltities of the individuals (Amundsen was careful and meticulous, Scott was foolhardy, impetuous and a little on the arrogant side) and the eventual retelling of the story where the loser came out better in the end.

The writer does seem to not depict Scott in very good light. For those who dont know, Amundsen was initially going to the North Pole, changed his plans to go South instead and race against Scott. Eventually because of superior planning which included using dogs and enough rations he beat Scott by a month. Scott and the rest of his group eventually perished on the way back from the Pole while his diaries remained as testament.

Sounds quite interesting, Ill think Ill take a look at it.

Some of these books are quite interesting. I´ve readed the one about the ship that was atacked by a whale and inspired Moby Dick. It had a lot of pictures inside it, documents, letters and stuff that helped improve the story.

The book is In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex, for those interested.

Well I have here Shards of Honor, Barrayar, The Warrior's Apprentice, The Vor Game and Cetaganda, all in hebrew. I understand they complete a series or something, no?

The complete list so far is:

Falling Free (prequel - completely unnecessary)

Shards of Honour

Barrayar

The Warrior's Apprentice

The Vor Game

Cetaganda

Ethan of Athos

Borders of Infinity

Brothers in Arms

Mirror Dance

Memory

Komarr

A Civil Campaign

Winterfair Gifts

Diplomatic Immunity

The Mountains of Mourning (one part of Memory) is online for free here:

http://www.webscription.net/p-622-the-moun...f-mourning.aspx

The other free books are here (you'll have to navigate yourself)

http://www.baen.com/library/

The Mountains of Mourning (one part of Memory) is online for free here:

http://www.webscription.net/p-622-the-moun...f-mourning.aspx

Mountains of Mourning was first published as part of Borders of Infinity, a mosaic book with intermediate chapters that also has The Labyrinth and Borders of Infinity. Chronologically, Mountainstakes place after Warrior's Apprentice, while The Labyrinth takes place before and Borders after Cetaganda.

There are also some omnibus editions, Young Miles (Warrior's Apprentice, Vor Game, Mountains), Miles, Mystery and Mayhem (Cetaganda, Ethan of Athos, Labyrinth) and two more I don't have because I bought the single volumes already. I think Miles in Love covers Komarr, Civil Campaign and Diplomatic Immunity, but I'm not sure.

You see, lots of Miles Vorkosigan (and some about his parents). :D

These include the national characters of Norway and Sweden at the time (to which Amundsen and Scott belonged to respectively)

:stunned:

I'd be a bit dubious about the fact-checking of any book that claimed Scott, one of the most famous British explorers, was Swedish.

I've just finished "Swiftly" by Adam Roberts with a strange mixture of elation and disappointment. The ideas were beyond wonderful, but the characters are like something out of Camus. I'll continue to read every book he publishes.

Next up, Bone Song by John Meaney.

A couple days ago I finished the audiobook version of Ken Follet's The Pillars of the Earth as read by George Ralph.

Three quarters into the book I had to stop, walk away and take stock of my abhorrence to the sexual violence about to be metered out (again) from one of the characters. I can't say if it was Follet's stark depiction of the scene or Ralph's reading of it but this would be the first time I can remember ever being repulsed into physical action.

Don't get me wrong I like to think I've been suitably averse to descriptions of a similar nature in other books but with all those previous instances all that has resulted is an aversion in my mind's eye and the occasional repugnance felt in the gut. Physically I would have looked indifferent. Am I showing signs a I get older of having a moral centre now intent on manifesting itself? Will this extend to waterworks when any scenes of redemption or reconciliation present themselves? I'm at odds to know what to make of this turn.

Bah! Excuse the rant. <Note to self: Harden Up!>

The book is recommended in whatever form you care to digest. There are many parts which stretch belief but IMO this doesn't get in the way of a good tale if you like it stewed slowly. There is also an audiobook version read by Richard E Grant that my library has which I'm tempted to check out.

Just finished reading 'Wastelands', a collection of post apocalyptic tales edited by John Joseph Adams. Not all of the stories were to my taste but every single one of them held my attention and kept me reading until the end. I didn't realise that there were so many ways in which the world could end! What was also interesting were the ways in which different people reacted to events, you get the whole spectrum ranging from fight plus flight to a guy just sat drinking gin on someone elses porch. A book that's entertaining and thought provoking with something for everyone. My full review is Here

Jim Butcher's latest Harry Dresden book ('White Night') is up next...

Huh, thanks to the glossary I only had sixty-or-so pages left to read of the First Man in Rome. I liked it, but all the detail made me wary of making the commitment to start the second book. I'll get there eventually. Oh, and I also finished King Chondos' Ride, and am glad I put it away for a while. The constant, detailed skirmishing with nary a breather coupled with a reader who wasn't feeling particularly attentive was a bad combination. Coming back to it I enjoyed it much more. Zimmer wrote excellent swordplay and campaigning (to excess at times), the characters became more compelling and I even shed my dislike for one of the principal characters by the end. Speaking of the end, at first I was a bit baffled, but in retrospect, it was perfect for it.

After that I read the Last Wish, during the loading screens on an unhealthy Witcher marathon. The composition of the stories made it perfect for the job, really.

Next up was Watchmen, which was great but didn't pack as great a punch as I'd have hoped, which has nothing to do with the fact that I was more or less spoiled on the ending. Bastards.

Finally I read Byzantium, and I probably sound like a broken record by now, but I liked it. I haven't read the type of book in a long/short time so it was very much appreciated. I was greatly surprised a third of the way in that Aidan hadn't yet gone emo about his faith yet, but amusingly enough he did just that practically the next page. Luckily it didn't really bother me much since Lawhead didn't let it dominate the narration.

Finally I read Byzantium, and I probably sound like a broken record by now, but I liked it. I haven't read the type of book in a long/short time so it was very much appreciated. I was greatly surprised a third of the way in that Aidan hadn't yet gone emo about his faith yet, but amusingly enough he did just that practically the next page. Luckily it didn't really bother me much since Lawhead didn't let it dominate the narration.

Well, I finished Byzantium a couple of days ago, and I wasn't that thrilled with it. I felt the story was dragging at places, I had to make myself keep reading. That's always a bad sign with me. It was an interesting viewpoint in the whole era but Aidan was tiresome to me.

I'm 20 pages from finishing 'Girl with a pearl earring' by Tracy Chevalier. Well written little book, I read most of it in one sitting. Next on my pile is 'Fried green tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe' by Fannie Flag. (and no, I haven't seen the movie.)

Archived