You know you've been reading too much ASoIaF when...

Ser Spidey

You find a Barbie in your old collection (no I don't play with Barbies still, I'm past grad school!) who highly resembles a certain red priest. Then, you find another Barbie online for cheap that has a perfect red outfit, and your dress her up as Melisandre, Shadowbinder from Asshai.

Okay....and you also find other old Barbies that resemble the Stark family and dress them up too.

Oooh, can we see the Stark Barbies? I'm a big doll person, so this would be awesome! Really good Mel, too.

Anyhow, the other day at work I had a customer with the last name of Frey. It took everything in my power not to kick them out of the store. (Seriously, she spelled her last name out for me. It was much more trippy than the time I met a customer with the last name Storm, or even the lady named Asha. That one came close, though).

Oooh, can we see the Stark Barbies? I'm a big doll person, so this would be awesome! Really good Mel, too.

Anyhow, the other day at work I had a customer with the last name of Frey. It took everything in my power not to kick them out of the store. (Seriously, she spelled her last name out for me. It was much more trippy than the time I met a customer with the last name Storm, or even the lady named Asha. That one came close, though).

Yikes, I'm blushing. Glad you thought Mel was at least decent.

I'll post them if you guys are actually interested, and weren't just being polite (which was kind of you, by the way, not pointing and laughing!).

The problem with the Stark kids I'm having is there aren't proper clothes for them.

Robb's clothing is difficult, as most of the "King/Prince" Barbie clothing is too ornate for what someone in the North would be wearing. I suppose I can improvise.

The only doll that can be Bran has a buzz cut. No real "medieval" everyday wear made for this Todd doll, so I'm having trouble. WIsh I could sew! I have him in a "wedding"-ish outfit (pants + shirt) that is passable but I really need a cute little tunic with a direwolf embroidered on it, and proper breeches.

Rickon looks pretty decent, cute little redhead I dressed in a not too flashy "prince" outfit. He looks too happy though.

I have a really good Sansa (even repainted her eyes Tully blue!) with a believable gown.

I made a decent Arya (made her hair dark and eyes gray) but can't think of what she'd wear (just "breeches" of some sort and a tunic-like top? Or a plain dress?). I know I have to have her with Needle :-)

I've got a great Cersei and Jaime, too. Arianne, Doran, and all of the Sand Snakes (had trouble with matching ethnicities perfectly due to all being half-Dornish half-something else usually exotic, but they all look awesome. Arianne is my best.

I've got several Daenerys dolls, I'm not sure which I like best yet. Still experimenting.

Oops, how could I forget Jon! I (again) bought a Ken doll dressed in all black medieval armor looking stuff (something a NW member might wear), and my Jon is kickass.

Catelyn - ah, doing the "older" characters is so hard. I realize Cersei isn't that much older, but she was unique because I found such a perfect doll that fit her. Catelyn has too red lipstick, but otherwise looks ok.

Ned just looks kinda generic "Ken" with the right coloring (dark hair, gray eyes). I did manage to get him into his house colors for clothing, though I think it's too ornate for something he'd actually wear.

Anyway...so I was kinda pissed Barbie doesn't make Little People models. They made a disabled Becky doll! I want a Tyrion character that isn't just a kid doll with an adult head taped onto it. :devil: /OT rant.

Wow. I think I've outreached myself in nerdiness. I can't believe I even admitted I'm so obsessed with ASOIAF, (well, and bored with a lot of time on my hands) that I am making them into dolls.

I'm sure they'll have their own "Barbie" versions of all the characters soon, with the marketing stuff, anyway. I'll still always love my version of Melisandre, though. Her face just looks like....a mysterious sorceress. Glad the red worked with the eyes, too (was amazed the Barbie had red highlighted in her eyes, which are mostly green - I just used a fine red sharpie to emphasize the red in the eyes.)

I also have a Stannis. Can't do his character justice with a Ken doll (none are gaunt enough, or teeth grinding, lol). But again, his coloring matches. And the crown is damn good.

I could do Selyse and Shireen, but haven't yet because they aren't as interesting to me. Perhaps TWoW will create more inspiration.

I'm trying to find a good Val....what would a Wildling be wearing? Furs?

Margery was easy. Didn't bother with the rest of the Tyrells (I would've if they made them as old as Olenna, though B) ).

I have Ser Grandfather, but no good armor.

Haven't been inspired to find any Ironborn characters. Would be difficult to replicate Victarion's crispy hand. Might try Asha, though.

I'm upset I can't do The Hound, or Gregor. They could fight epic battles or something (JK!). I suppose I could just really mess up a Ken's face with clay and simulated burns.

Also mad I can't do Sam! Ugh. Can't Mattel make "plus size" Barbies? Don't see the harm. It'd be more realistic anyway. Body image and stuff. But I digress!

ETA: I'll post all my nerdy pictures. I'll need a couple days to take photos of all of them and upload them. I hope they aren't a huge letdown! :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

You find that it is all you talk about to friends and even start buying them the books with the hopes that they will read them and like them as much as you.

Haha, I totally do this. Most of my friends are like um, whatever. At least four people started reading the books due to my personal influence, however, so I'm proud of myself (they love them, too, so far! We'll see once they hit the RW...). :read:

When you start saying "It is known" whenever your agree with something your hear.

I say this to my fiance all the time. He hasn't read the books, but saw the HBO series. So he doesn't really get it (it sounds vaguely familiar, he says), but he should.

I also use "must needs", "much and more", "words are wind", "you know nothing [insert name here]!" (to much confusion-I only pull this one as a joke, not like how Ygritte used it), and other phrases GRRM repeats.

I actually did say "as useless as nipples on a breastplate" in my mother's presence (she's seen the HBO series, and is just now reading AGoT) and she almost spit her coffee out laughing.

I was upset I couldn't explain to her how the only man in Westeros who HAS made use of nipples on his breastplate is Ser Jorah Mormont, because it would have required far too much explanation.

When you ask yourself "what would this character do in this situation?"

When you check this board 15 times a day to discuss ASoIaF.

Alas, I'm quite guilty of the latter (more like hitting "refresh" every 10 minutes.... :leaving: )

I try not to play the "what if" game with the characters, because it's hard enough to predict real human behavior in given situations, let alone fictional ones.

You find that it is all you talk about to friends and even start buying them the books with the hopes that they will read them and like them as much as you.

I got my mom and my best friend to read A Game of Thrones, and I was actually shocked when they suddenly were both hitting me up for my copy of A Clash of Kings. I knew the books were good, but I thought my best friend would find them way too violent (she loves all sorts of G-rated low fantasy, and wolves are her favorite animals) and figured my mom was just humoring me. Just goes to show that ASOIAF appeals across a fairly broad spectrum of readers.

I'll post them if you guys are actually interested, and weren't just being polite (which was kind of you, by the way, not pointing and laughing!).

Yes! I've always tried to imagine what each character might look like as a Barbie-type doll, especially since I imagine about 99% of the women in the series as having that sort of willowy build. The 1% is Brienne. Maybe you could stick a Barbie head on a Ken doll for her for that sort of build. I also think Dany would make a good Barbie, because that's Barbie's basic look (light blonde hair and violet blue eyes). Just dress her in something vaguely medieval and you're good to go!

1). The young waiter who sullenly comes to take your order, and you realize it's "Visrys," (but who really is a beach bumb working there for the Summer). :cool4:

2). Your co-workers name is Leandra, but you call her Lyanna. :bawl:

3). You get a corporate visit, and all you can think is "fire and vengeance." :dunno:

I got my mom and my best friend to read A Game of Thrones, and I was actually shocked when they suddenly were both hitting me up for my copy of A Clash of Kings. I knew the books were good, but I thought my best friend would find them way too violent (she loves all sorts of G-rated low fantasy, and wolves are her favorite animals) and figured my mom was just humoring me. Just goes to show that ASOIAF appeals across a fairly broad spectrum of readers.

Yes! I've always tried to imagine what each character might look like as a Barbie-type doll, especially since I imagine about 99% of the women in the series as having that sort of willowy build. The 1% is Brienne. Maybe you could stick a Barbie head on a Ken doll for her for that sort of build. I also think Dany would make a good Barbie, because that's Barbie's basic look (light blonde hair and violet blue eyes). Just dress her in something vaguely medieval and you're good to go!

Awesome, thanks for your advice, and for sharing my doll enthusiasm. I've got several Dany's whose eyes I painted lilac, but there are so many generic Barbies that look like her it's difficult to choose.

For Brienne, I'd chosen my Barbie with the ugliest looking face (which in reality isn't ugly, but it isn't pretty either), and just dressed her in men's clothing, gave her a sword, etc.

The problem with the Ken vs. Barbie head models is that Barbies have a hollow neck with a ring that holds their head to their neck, while Ken's heads are just twist off (don't have a ring to attach a female head to).

I'll try to make her duct tape or tinfoil armor to bulk her up a bit, and make her more believable.

Wish they made Barbie dragons to ride! I would SO TOTALLY BUY THEM!

Also this.

At my work place, we ran out of Halloween candy, so this mob of kids come in, led by who I am sure was "Sweet Robin." :ack:

I pulled a craven "Samwell" and ran, :cool4: while my co-worker was left to explain that we didn't have anymore, :bawl: to which "Sweet Robin" shouted, "Who's in charge?!" :devil:

I had to send someone out the back door to get more. :fencing:

Archived