What are we reading?

Ser Barry

Currently reading "Order of the Phoenix" by J.K. Rowling. I promised my wife I would ready Harry Potter if she would give GRRM a chance. So far she has read "The Hedge Knight" and "Sworn Sword". I think she likes them but I don't know if she will read the main series. She seems to think that it will be too bloody and/or crude.

After Potter---The Blade Itself.

Just finished my first GRRM-recommended "punishment" for losing that NFL wager. . .

S. L. Farrell's A Magic of Twilight is a solid effort which should appeal to most fans of epic fantasy. In terms of style, for no reason that I can explain, I found Farrell's style similar to that of Robin Hobb, Tad Williams and, to a lesser extent, C. S. Friedman.

Check out the blog for the full review. :)

Patrick

I'm currently reading Territory by Emma Bull, which so far is excellent.

Yes, that and the latest Kim Harrison book were both great reads for me thus far this month. :)

Then I made the mistake of picking up a book by Mercedes Lackey called the Fire Rose that someone gave me for free...I think if you were to cut out all of the endless descriptions of clothing, furnishings, etc. you would cut the book in half. Literally. :wideeyed:

I'm definitely interested in your review of this one since I won it on your blog. :D

Just finished my first GRRM-recommended "punishment" for losing that NFL wager. . .

S. L. Farrell's A Magic of Twilight is a solid effort which should appeal to most fans of epic fantasy. In terms of style, for no reason that I can explain, I found Farrell's style similar to that of Robin Hobb, Tad Williams and, to a lesser extent, C. S. Friedman.

Check out the blog for the full review. :)

Patrick

Pat, can you explain this a bit? I've read both Hobb and Williams and I feel they have some large differences in style. One of which I really liked, and the other... not so much.

. Some characters are well-drawn, while others leave a little to be desired. Chief among those was Jan ca'Vörl, who never rises beyond the clichéd, power-hungry monarch.

Is this a bad thing? Aren't a lot of dictators in real life power-hungry clichés? ;)

I finally managed to finish my reread of GRRM and can now safely look at the book threads and post there. This morning I started a (seemingly not-so-good) crime book by Kathy Reichs called Deadly Decisions.

Well, I have to admit to being a little befuddled by The Blade Itself. I know the prevailing opinion is that the series gets better as it goes along, and that the first volume in a trilogy is the 'warm up', but I'm 2/3 through this, and it's okay and all, BUT NOTHING HAS REALLY HAPPENED. Maybe the end will blow my socks off...

Having said all that, I will certainly read 'Before...', as Mr. Abercrombie seems to be a good guy and has a great sense of humor.

Just sayin'...

I finished Gene Wolfe's The Urth of the New Sun. I have to admit to being a bit disappointed with it.. I mean, it did explain some of the things that I hadn't quite figured out about the first four books but on the other hand it left me with an unsatisfied feeling.

Tomorrow I'm starting Nana by Emile Zola.

I started reading The Prestige by Christopher Priest. I'm about 100 pages in and it is really, really interesting so far. I like the format that it was written in. It really does feel like a magician wrote the book. When I'm done I think I will move on to The Terror by Dan Simmons.

Wrath of a Mad God - Feist (the better volume of his latest series).

Dust - Elizabeth Bear - She probably wanted to do a genre mixture, sci-fi/fantasy, so she mixed a few tropes of fantasy in a sci-fi setting. It works well.

The Outlaw Demon Wails - Kim Harrison - Hollows 6 - what can i say... chick lit is a vice of mine. Alltough i must say... YOU STUPID BITCH. JUMP HER BONES ALREADY. Err - ahem, you know what i mean.

Already Dead. - Charlie Huston - Vampire reimagining.

Misborn - Brandon Sanderson - duh.

I'm definitely interested in your review of this one since I won it on your blog. :D

Pat, can you explain this a bit? I've read both Hobb and Williams and I feel they have some large differences in style. One of which I really liked, and the other... not so much.

I feel the same way, yet throughout the book Farrell's style made me think about Hobb in some instances and Williams in others. Can't put my finger on it, unfortunately, but some POV characters reminded me of one or the other.

You read the book and then you tell me what you think! ;) By the way, you guys are all getting autographed copies. . . :)

Patrick

Just finished Anne Bishop's Dark Jewels trilogy.

Apparently trilogy is a misnomer as there are other books, hahaha. I feel like i was suckered into something whenever a trilogy turns out to have 6 books, oh well.

I'm afraid I will have to call this series one of my guilty pleasures. I just know I shouldn't be reading this and it is one small step above crap, but I still enjoyed reading it the way people are fascinated by train wrecks.

SPOILER: rats
]I mean, right at the beginning they have genital-eating rats! Gaah. And Jeanelle is a Mary Sue. Ok, so she is supposed to be a Mary Sue seeing as the main plot revolves around her being everybody's dream come true...but it's still annoying.

What's with the names? Saetan Daemon SuDiablo...redundant much too much? I don't appreciate being hit over the head multiple times with a large blunt object nor do I like the lack of subtlety in giving one character three similar names like that. There is a reason why people are *not* named Beauty Belle Bella or Wrath Fury Rhage.

Monday night I finished The Fade by Chris Wooding. I thought it was a very good book and hopefully Wooding will write more in the same setting.

I bought Reaper's Gale this morning so I think I'll read that and get caught up on Erikson.

Apparently trilogy is a misnomer as there are other books, hahaha. I feel like i was suckered into something whenever a trilogy turns out to have 6 books, oh well.

That's simply two trilogies. ;)

I just finsihed up The Dragons of Babel by Michael Swanick yesterday (review). I really enjoyed this one and find it criminal that he's not discussed more around here (though the question is wil I back this up with discussion?).

Currently reading the final part of Peter F. Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy, The Naked God.

It's been very good so far, but the whole

SPOILER: asdf
Al Capone part
is, imo, kinda stupid.

Just finished reading Russell Whitfield's 'Gladiatrix', the book version of 'Gladiator' but with women in it! It's a very entertaining read although some of the fight scenes (of which there are loads) did drag on a bit and become almost cartoonish. There's also a heavy emphasis on women... err... spending quality time in the company of other women and this really detracts from the story itself, almost to the point where I was wondering what kind of book I was reading... Still worth checking out though if you're a fan of historical fiction from authors such as Simon Scarrow or Conn Iggulden. My full review is over Here.

I fancy something quick and easy next so it's Derek Gunn's 'Vampire Apocalypse, A World Torn Asunder' up next, weighs in at 215 pages although I'm really not sure about the name... Dunno what to read after that, Joel Shepherd's 'Breakaway' looks good but so does Brian Ruckley's 'Bloodheir'...

Archived